main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it'll all depend on how the post-Avengers plan falls into place. They might wait on that they might jot. If we were fortunate enough to get some kind of Civil War crossover after Avengers, for example, then I could see them saving Ragnarok plotlines for the build-up to that to take Thor out of the picture (as they did in the comics) which would permit them to go into the whole JMS post-Ragnarok return of Thor/reviving the gods concept which would allow them the option of recasting Thor after 3 Thor movies & 2 Avengers movies if Hemsworth wants to move on.

On a sidenote, it's neat that, after the original Marvel plan changed to have Thor be the 2009 movie alongside IM2, that now an IM and Thor film will share a summer afterall.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    For those who can't wait, a bootleg of the Amazing Spider-Man teaser has leaked. Sony keeps shutting it down, but you can find it if you're interested. It's a very different take on the subject matter than Raimi's, which is probably good but will take a little while to get used to. The one thing I really hope isn't overused is the Spidey-cam POV effect that seems to be this trailer's response to the uncanny valley web-swinging effects from the earlier films.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The POV shot is pretty impressive, though- not to mention something new. It shouldn't be overused, though, I agree.

Also, in an interview with the CA writers on AICN, there was this amusing bit:

Markus: There are things that I love that I don?t know if they are ever going to make it in, because there is a difference between movies and comics. Some thing don?t translate as well; they just take you out of the movie in some way or another. I still lobby that a MODOK movie would be?
    McFeely: (Laughs) He?s talking about Modok, folks!
    Markus: It would be terrifying if you pulled it off right.
    Beaks: That is the great challenge of our time. Someone is going to nail that, and they are not going to just win an Oscar, they are going to win a Nobel.
    McFeely: You?d like to see the MODOK biopic?
    Markus: You know who it stars?
    McFeely: You think it?s Dinklage.
    Markus: I say Peter Dinklage is MODOK. It?s got to be.
    McFeely: He?s got a great face.

[face_laugh]

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  5. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I've always been against the idea of making a reboot to Spider-Man, but I went to check out the trailer anyways. I'm still against it. Doesn't impress me at all. [face_not_talking]

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    That link no longer works. Here is another (up for now).

Anyway, it looks good. Garfield fits the role a hell of a lot better than Maguire ever did. It'll be better than the Raimi films for sure, though that's not saying a lot.

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Looks really good! I prefer Garfield's lean physique to Maguire's somewhat stockier build. I for one really like the POV shot, too. And the whole thing has a "darker", more introspective feel than the bright, goofy Raimi films (which I enjoy for what they are).

8. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Eh, didn't really impress me, but then again I'm not really a Spider-Man fan. [face_monkey]

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, after seeing Cap, I was thinking about viewing order for the films. If we assume the order is currently (essentially): IM1, IM2, IH, Thor (though with the overlap between IM2, IH & Thor, one could swap IH & Thor probably), then where could Cap fall into place?

(possible Cap spoilers to follow!)

So, the obvious way is how they were released and to just watch Cap after Thor and before Avengers (it certainly builds off of references to Odin's vault and Yggdrasill).

However, I think it could be viewed earlier on and still work (ignoring the Avengers trailer, Cap's post-credits stinger could currently work without directly leading into Avengers). My thought is there are two interesting alternative ways to watch the movie (well, three, but two that appeal to me).

1) Watch Cap first. Even though there's the modern day framing story, 99% of the movie is WW2 so we'd be watching things more or less in chronological order. As an intro movie, it sets up IM1 via Stark, IM2 via Stark's expo showings (and other details like the shield), IH via the super solider serum developments & Thor via the Odin/Tree stuff.

It also adds to Fury's comment at the end of IM1 about Stark not being the only superhero in the world, and Fury himself has some setup before popping up there. Plus, now when we see the Cosmic Cube in Thor's stinger (or it's earlier cameo in the vault), we have more context of what it is, and it allows the Loki scene to setup/lead into Avengers (which i think flows better, currently).

There's only two catches- first, it obviously depends on how Avengers picks up from Cap's last scene and Thor's stinger. Second, there is a span of what was, IIRC, at least several months between IM1 & IM2, yet IM2, IH, Thor & Avengers all seem to happen either at the same time or are immediately consecutive to one another, so having Fury's comments in Cap's stinger be so far ahead of the actual threats in Avengers (or even IH) seems off (although we could always argue that the framing story of Cap happens after that gap, so it's not a terrible issue).

But that leads to:

2) Watch IM1 first, then watch Cap, then IM2, etc. It's not fully chronological, but it basically let's Cap's frametsory occur in the gap between IM1 & IM2, so we get the setup to Stark's father, etc before it's explored in IM2 (as well as the other content in the other films). Essentially it lets IM1 & IM2 sandwich the Cap setup content.

But, I think either approach puts the pieces into a more linear arrangement that could improve the viewing experience (especially to new viewers) by making the connections between the films more distinct (whereas otherwise audiences might not take particular note of the serum's presence in IH, or the cube in Thor, etc).

Any thoughts?

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I think the way to go is Captain America first. He was after all, the first real Marvel superhero (because the Sub-Mariner is an arrogant, self-serving anti-hero, and the first Human Torch was an android whose later incarnation, the Vision, is not well-known outside of fan circles). Then follow with Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor -- and climax with The Avengers.

That said, I hope TA will be a complete film that wraps up its own plot threads. None of these other movies have had complete, self-contained plotlines, and while I don't mind that they all set up TA, that movie better have a satisfying climax and sense of closure to it, rather than a "Here's Part 1 of The Avengers Trilogy!" feel to it. Otherwise I will be disgruntled. [face_not_talking]

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Did you catch The Torch at the Stark Expo?

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    If you mean the mannequin in the red super-suit, yeah, although admittedly it didn't occur to me at the time that that's who it was. [face_blush]

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh. I didn't make that connection :oops:. I thought it was meant to evoke a proto-Iron Man thing somehow.

I'd disagree there- I think all of the movies so far have had self-contained storylines. They've all just either set up a sequel (Sterns turning into The Leader, Thor looking for Jane, etc) or contained a subplot or book end contributing to Avengers (Stark "consulting", Cap in modern world, etc).

Even IM2, which gets criticized often for just being an Avengers setup, is almost wholly self-contained alongside IM1, with all the SHIELD/Fury stuff being related to the film's core story of Stark needing help and being unable to go it alone. And that's a story that is resolved within IM2.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    It's definitely the Hulk -- his arm is in Cap's poster!

I do wish they'd get the Wasp or even Carol Danvers in here somehow -- it's a very testosteroney lineup right now!

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Well, there is the lady agent of SHIELD over there behind Fury. But yeah, the Wasp would be cool; alas, there's no rumor of her appearance in TA. :_|

Each character in that poster has a background jam-packed with back-story imagery... except Black Widow, who gets some smoke and a plane. o_O

Overall it's very exciting to see marketing images for The Avengers so early. I'm thrilled at the concept, thrilled that Whedon is writing/directing, thrilled that Cap and Thor were such good, solid films. In short, I'm rather thrilled.

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    That's Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill, if the rumors are to be believed.

As for the Black Widow, she's in the unfortunate situation of not having of movie of background -- just being support in someone else's movie. I'm not sure why they couldn't have thought of something to put there!

Still, I agree with you: super-excited about this movie.

18. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill! Our first look at her, in fact. Yet another pitch-perfect casting choice in a movie full of them. I hope she gets noticed enough to snag other movie roles. The world needs more Smulders.

EDIT: Left that post window up too long, apparently. :p

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    The Hulk poster is out, too. Just slot it between the Cap and the Iron Man.

[image=http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/c/60/4e2c46d943fab/detail.jpg]

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Assembled!

[image=http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/2647/original/avengersassembled.jpg]

And, while the SHIELD agents like Widow and Hawkeye don't get much background imagery for obvious reasons, they do get the Helicarrier and Quinjets, so that's pretty cool, still!

EDIT- CBR video interview with Joe Q.

Joe talks slightly about post-Avengers plans, without revealing them fully. Whats interesting is that he says they intend for any Cap, IM or Thor sequels to stand alone in that you won't have to see Avengers to follow them.

In other words, they want to treat Avengers as a separate franchise from the other characters so that Cap 2 doesn't become "Avengers Part 2".

Also, at the JMS panel:

Lastly, Straczynski will not be involved with "Thor 2," explaining he just isn't available, but he made certain to stress that the new writer, Don Payne, has done a terrific job on the screenplay.

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    At last, a Hulk whose face actually resembles the comic book Hulk! The image in the Avengers poster reminds me of a John Buscema drawing from about 1982. Color me green -- I mean, impressed. :D

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently Marvel re-evaluated their original decision to not have the Hulk and Banner share the actors' face. So, now, while the Hulk didn't look like Norton in TIH, he does look like Mark in Avengers- and Hulk won't be as "cut" as he was in TIH either.

Part of the teaser is up officially but note that it is prefaced by most of the final pre-credits scene from Captain America and is, essentially, a commercial for the teaser itself.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If you look closely enough Stark is wearing a Black Sabbath shirt.:D

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] =D=

Here's a screengrab of that:

http://screenrant.com/the-avengers-trailer-button-rob-125981/the-avengers-tony-stark/

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Are you saying he's not going to look how he does in that poster? Because that is perfect, classic, Trimpe/Buscema Hulk right there. If they make him look like Mark Ruffalo I'll be grossly disapppointed.

I don't mind his not being "cut", though. Hulk should be all bulk and mass, not necessarily each individual muscle group showing in sharp relief. In short, how he looks in that poster!