main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    James Mangold's The Wolverine now has a release date: July 26, 2013.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    When did he get a "the" attached to his name? From his first appearance in that Hulk issue, all the way through his stint in Claremont's X-Men, he was always called simply Wolverine.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This is just not so. In his debut in The Incredible Hulk #180, he introduces himself by inviting Hulk to "try your luck against -- the Wolverine!" #181 is even titled "And now. . . the Wolverine!" In Giant-Sized X-Men #1, he's introduced to us as "the Wolverine". In the Claremont series, while he's addressed by others and by the narrator as Wolverine, he often refers to himself as "the Wolverine" (for example, Uncanny #129, "Right now, you're the answer to the Wolverine's prayers!").

He's never been the Wolverine as often as Batman used to be the Batman, but he has been the Wolverine often enough that I don't mind them making that the title of the movie.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Wow. Thanks for the correction! I just do not remember that "the" being in there in the Calremont run at all. But I love being shown to be absolutely, flat wrong -- because it means I learned something! :cool:

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Another reason I think they went with that title is because they wanted to break from the X-Men Origins banner and distinguish the sequel as something better than the original.

[image=http://geekpropaganda.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/avengers-superbowl-trailer-1.gif]

Also, Bleeding Cool has a pretty good theory on who Loki's army is seen in the Superbowl spot, based on similar visuals of energy striking the Chrysler Building/Empire State Building and soldiers dropping from portals in the sky found in both the spot and an issue from Walt Simonson's run of Thor: the sons of Muspell, creatures from Muspellheim (one of the nine worlds, a realm of fire).

What's interesting is that, apparently, in Norse mythology, the sons of Muspell are said to break the Bifrost bridge and signal the end of times, bringing about Ragnarok.

So, kinda interesting that, with Thor being more or less the last Avengers film, chronologically speaking, Thor ends with the Bifrost being broken (albeit not at the sons' hands) and now they appear to threaten Earth in the near-immediate wake of that event.

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    It feels too early to be Ragnarok. If it turns out to be true, yay -- Simonson's run on Thor was what transformed me from a casual Marvel reader to a full-on fan, with no less than 9 subscriptions, in the early 80s, and Ragnarok was a huge part of that arc. But I get the sense that Thor needs to mature more as a character and a person before an "End of the World" storyline can become relevant or seem important to the viewer.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/04/27/buried-poster.jpg] [image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bXv3n3LZS_Y/Tz7QHtum-bI/AAAAAAAAJ0g/mExJKAaHbSQ/s1600/DPOOL054cov.jpg] [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X-zsldzumEc/Tz7QILZbkjI/AAAAAAAAJ0s/X_eMDe7PmOA/s1600/DPOOL055.previews.jpg]

So the solicitations are out for the upcoming Deadpoolcomics- the conclusion to the current "Dead" storyline is a parody of a poster for a Ryan Reynolds film, and the next issue obscures his face (as least for the solicit).

Given that the Dead storyline is about Deadpool seeking out the serum used to kill Evil Deadpool (and reverting ED back to a non-tumorfaced state) in the previous storyline so that Deadpool can finally fulfill his wish of dying... I can't help but wonder if we're going to get Wade actually looking like Ryan, as sort of an advanced tie-in build-up for the movie?

8. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    I don't know if anyone's pointed this out before, but it seems that in the final battle, Mr. Stark will be using a Mark of his suit that shows a circular arc reactor. So the question is, what will happen to the one that is currently keeping him alive, if anything? We know he at least has it for the beginning of the movie based on the trailer. Is it possible that he would keep the new arc reactor and the suit would just display the whole thing rather than the triangular part? Seems a bit unlikely... I wonder if Mark Ruffalo has had any luck in getting off his "Hulk diet" and eating normal food again?[face_thinking]

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're probably just trying to get the movie suit to be more similar to the current suit design in the comics. Maybe the triangular arc reactor node is fitted inside a round module that diffuses the glow into it's shape?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Nice poster! I feel that Cap should be more prominent, considering his movie fared better critically and commercially than Thor. But Thor does look really, really cool in that image, so I mustn't quibble.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    New trailer is very exciting - I no longer care about how good the movie is overall, as I'm now certain I'll have fun no matter what!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New Trailer Link

That shot of Hulk saving Iron Man is the real seller here, IMO.

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I understand that it is currently considered unseemly to gush over creative works derived from sequential art in the superhero genre, but...

HOLY GOD THAT TRAILER IS FREAKING' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!11!!1!!!!!ELEVENTY

I now return you to your regularly scheduled intellectual discourse.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, it seems the film has be retitled "Avengers Assemble" in the UK, so as not to cause confusion with The Avengers 60's British TV show.

Anyways, yeah, I've probably watched that trailer so many times now, I've probably killed about an hour throughout the day at this point, ha.

One detail I love (though this was also mostly present during the superbowl spot) is the sound design during the assembled circle of heroes, with each hero's weapon getting a key sound effect timed to their appearance as the camera pans around.

::Hulk roars::
    ::Iron Man's jets::
    ::Hawkeye's bow string tensing::
    ::Thor's hammer hums::
    ::Black Widow's gun clicks during reload::
    ::Cap's shield whines:: (though this one gets lost in the trailer mix, it's clearly there in the superbowl spot)

Another thing I've been thinking about- kinda odd that, outside of the stinger in Thor, I don't think we've seen Skarsgard in any of the trailers/ads so far.

EDIT- Also, it looks to me like they reshot the Cap/boxing bag scene- it looks much brighter than than one at the end of Ca's credits- Fury is less in shadow, etc. Though the vocal performances sound like the same take.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    German Trailer has two new scenes, though they're dubbed, the translation:

Extended Tony Stark Scene:
    Tony: And following orders is obviously not my style.
    Cap: And everyone knows that style is all you care about.
    Tony: From all the people around here, who wears the most figure-hugging outfit?

End Scene with Tony:
    Tony: I promise a stress-free environment. No surprises.
    Banner: Ow!
    Cap: Hey!
    Tony: You really got it under control, don't you. Whats your secret? Relaxing Jazz, Bongo Drums?
    Cap: Is everything like a joke to you?
    Tony: If it's funny!

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Japanese Trailer #2 is basically a mix of the first two trailers with a good amount of new footage in there: the helicarrier, Quinjets, more of Loki's army arriving/attacking, a line by Hawkeye and Maria Hill, Thor vs Loki, etc.

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Great fun! Intriguing that the Japanese trailer shows the alien threat in the opening seconds, while the US/Euro version is vague about the exact nature of the threat that has us "outgunned".

19. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That looks awesome.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, did anyone catch Avengers this past weekend? I'm not seeing any news posts about new post-credits content (as possible IM3 or other Marvelverse teaser tidbits were speculated about, based on the FB tease), I'm assuming at this point it was just some some misleafing or easily misinterpreted hype for the weekend rerelease.

Gonna have to get a little creative to make that opening post look as good as it used to, but we can dust later. ;)

22. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Watchmen: yuck.

Let's look at the history of Marvel movies:
    Spider-man and the Chinese Web--pretty poor. Didn't that end up being the pilot for a TV series that ended very quickly?
    Doctor Strange--from the 1970s. About the only thing I can say in favor of it is that it caused a lot of uproar by offending mid-western religious types
    The Incredible Hulk--pilot for the TV show that was less about atomic power and the cold war, and more about a new adaptation of THe Fugitive
    Incredible Hulk TV movies--Bill Bixbi was still around and getting bored, so we had one with an awful version of Thor, one with Dare-Devil spliced in. They finished with "Death of the Incredible Hulk"--title was pretty much a spoiler.
    And it was quiet for a while.
    Then they made a direct to video version of The Punisher and Captain America. Both were pretty bad, but at least Dulph Lundgren as the punisher worked better than the awful Jade/Tarantino movie. Captain America suffered from a low budget and cheezy production values, but at least it wasn't boring.
    There was a TV X-Men movie on FOX, but it was pretty forgettable. I remember it because it was about the same time as the FOX Doctor Who TV movie abomination.
    X-Men came out after years of quiet. It was surprisingly good.
    Naturally, X2 was immediately in the works. They tried to do a bit too much, and the movie has about 6 endings, but so did Return of the King
    About that point we had Ang Lee's Hulk movie, which blew chunks and hoovered them back up again.
    X3 gets a lot of bad press because it failed to live up to potential. It wasn't as horrible as a lot of the fan-boys whine, and compared to the first 2 it is disappointing, but it isn't that bad.
    Spider-man suffers from horrible casting, costuming, and direction.
    So did SM2
    SM3, well, too many villains spoiled the plot. So horrible casting, costuming, writing, and direction. That said, still better than the abomination that is the broadway musical.
    Iron Man came out about that time, and was brilliant. In spite of the hype blowing it out of all proportion, it was still an enjoyable movie.
    A new Incredible Hulk came out the same year, and was as good, if not better, but got over-shadowed by Iron Man.
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine also gets a lot of grief, but I enjoyed it.
    IM2 was... pretty disappointing. Just hard to take seriously, did not have anything to contribute, and the effects were already been-there/done-that.
    X-Men: First Class: wasted cast, horrible design work, low-grade FX (now if it had been made back in 1990, it might have impressed), and pretty blah overall. In fact, I'd rank this as the least impressive or interesting of all the X-Men movies.
    Thor: Such a mess I don't know where to start cataloging the disaster. Boring story, bad editing, utter non-sense and drivel thrown in to appease those that might be offended by the notion that their children are watching a movie about a pagan god, and special effects weren't up to much either.
    Captain America: I know where to start with this one: The Director. Joe Smith can capture mood and atmosphere of a time period, but he has no understanding of pacing or what to do with a super-hero movie. This one is boring as boring can be. And we get cheated from seeing Captain America really being in action--it is all done in one big, sloppy, messed up montage.
    Avengers: haven't seen it yet. Waiting for the DVD.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You forgot Blade & The Hoff as TV's Nick Fury. And Watchmen was DC. ;)

That TV X-Men movie was Generation X. Exciting so far as it adapting a pretty newly introduced X-title. Not exactly a good adaptation though ;).

24. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Just saw The Avengers. Thought it was only OK. But I am now more excited to see Thanos in the sequel than I was to this movie. After the creds it was just the team sitting around a table eating.

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Can't believe I forgot Blade (and sequels)--that was the first one that really showed Marvel that they could make a decent movie if they tried hard enough.
    Never heard of the Hasslehof Fury. Have to look that one up.

Well, I can only hope that Avengers will somehow make up for the overwhelming suckage that was created by Thor and Captain America, and the mediocre IM2.