main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I keep thinking back to Tyler Mane in the first X-Men. Yeah, he wasn't great or anything special, but he adequately filled the role as it was written. As long as Drax doesn't have to give some big impassioned speech or monologue (which I don't see happening) I think we'll be fine.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Look, does everyone remember the outcry when Mark Ruffalo replaced Ed Norton?

I'm giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt at this point...

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Bautista certainly looks the part, and I don't remember Drax being long on witticisms. Or brains, for that matter. So....winner!

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Heath Ledger as the Joker... really... what the hell are they thinking???

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It seems like a poor choice but it could work. Drax isn't exactly the emotional core of the group - he mostly just has to hit things and be angry.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Has there been anymore news on Ant Man? All I know is that Edgar Wright is supposedly directing, and that it has a release date after Avengers 2.

7. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I mean isn't it gonna be tough to find a 6'5 guy. completely muscle bound whos going to pull off an academy award winning performance. I don't know what people expect is out there.

Comic book fans are a bunch of complainers.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Jason Momoa has a very strong acting presence and was the rumored front runner for the role last month, so, yeah, this is a bit of a disappointment by comparison, but I'm willing to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt.

That said, here's hoping they give Momoa another shot at another role down the road. He just needs a breakout hit to explode as a star, IMO.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, I mean, it's not like we live in a world where films use some kind of sophisticated, processor created visuals - a kind of "computer generated imagery," if you will - to allow actors to take on different shapes and sizes.
    '
    That's why Rocket Raccoon is going to be played by an actual talking raccoon.

I think it's more likely they liked something about his audition, and then they viewed his compatible body type as a nice plus.

10. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Doesn't it all have to do with how the studio wants to film Drax? Sure, he could be pure CGI or he could be created the same way they did it in Avatar or Lord of the Rings.

I don't know if youre a comic book fan or not but ive been one for more than 25 years and there is one thing ive learned, its comic book fans are a complaining lot, constantly pissed off and super critical about every last detail. There is even a name for them, FANBOYS.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bootleg of Ant-Man test footage finally online.

It looks ok. Obviously it is test footage so you can only read into it so much but I do like the massive background focus shift during the shrinking- it's a very interesting visual effect I hadn't considered before.

I also didn't expect Ant-Man to have the sharp body language and movement of Rinzler, so that is kinda neat (though his walk seems a bit out of tune with the rest).

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's given me a certain amount of confidence that they could make this work. It could be lots of fun.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it shows the powers side of things can work in an action sequence (though with a bit of amusing humor mixed in, despite how badass he's acting), but it'll come down to casting, I think. If they follow the collective nerd will and cast Fillion, it won't matter what the shrinking powers look like, we'll go see it, heh.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I more interested in Thor 2, but then I'm a huge fan of Simonson Thor and I'm hoping this has used that run as a basis.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think there would be a collective fangasm if Redford and SLJ were to actually share screen time together.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's... amazing.

And I think Captain America might be the most underrated of the Phase 1 Marvel films...

Darth-Lando likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    The Wolverine trailer is now online here.

Looks promising!

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, I was going to post that in the thread for the film, but then I discovered the film didn't have a thread.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Really? I could have sworn there was one. Maybe in the temp boards? Feel free to start your own if you want to.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I can always hope for a Wolverine cameo in Avengers 3... then the X-Men films really will be a part of the "MCU".

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Ohhh, it looks like the movie takes a couple of hints from Brian K. Vaughan's Logan.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  24. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    It certainly seem to be avoiding the sort of super-power special-effects dominated action that characterised the first Wolverine film; whether the whole film is going to be a gritty hack'n'slash affair, or whether this first trailer is simply downplaying the more fantastical super-power elements remains to be seen, I guess. I didn't see any evidence of the Silver Samurai's energy blade in this trailer so maybe they really are trying to get away from showing any more mutant powers on screen.

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Wait, is that really Viper in The Wolverine? She's normally associated with HYDRA, so I'm surprised Fox can use her considering HYDRA has already made an appearance in Captain America. Character movie rights make my head hurt.

Also, this movie takes place after X3 and Logan seems surprised that they can take his healing powers away. Wasn't X3 all about making mutants lose their powers?

Regardless, I know I'll be seeing this in theaters. :p