main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I means

the line "another white boy to fix" is a reference to both of them. As in, they currently have to fix Agent Ross but she's also referencing Bucky, who is on ice/away in a hut at that moment. I kept hoping they'd pan over from Ross being fixed and we can see Bucky on ice but, considering he doesn't show up in the movie at all while all the chaos is going on, I'm guessing he's in the hut at this point far away from the action. Or maybe he was stuck in a freezer the whole time and just happened to not get blown up.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Given the events of Civil War, Cap's absence in BP -especially during the climax- is rather glaring. However...
    It works if the whole BP movie pretty much took place between the end of Civil War and the stinger. I figure the opening took place while T'Challa and Okoye were travelling from Siberia to Wakanda. Given how quickly Agent Ross was fixed, I imagine unraveling Bucky's programming would be fairly easy. The only thing that throws a monkey wrench in this assessment is Shuri's "another broken white boy" joke. Another potential solution is that events between the two movies are slightly askew. Cap is away (possibly along with TWS) initiating the jailbreak at the raft (the assistance of Wakandan tech would be super-helpful for this) during the events of the BP movie, and the CW stinger is from when Cap returns, which would also be after the events of BP. Again, it would all work, save for the "broken white boy" joke.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the "broken white boy" joke is there to explicitly set up the Bucky-stinger, and a nod to Marvel zombies "yeah, we didn't forget about Bucky, don't worry!" But, I agree, it's not totally set in stone and if one wanted to fudge the timeline of Civil War stinger to have BP take place entirely in between, you could get away with it (I'm sure Wakanda has fixed some "broken white boys" before that aren't just Bucky Barnes or Agent Ross).

But I have no problem with BP taking place immediately after the CW mid-credits stinger and, as I suggested, Bucky is either frozen in a pod somewhere else. Possibly not even on the location where the action takes place, note that the CW stinger ends with the shot of the giant Black Panther statue and, from what I could tell from the film, we see that same statue on the outskirts where the people in the mountains live so it's possible Bucky is frozen in that location. Or he's already in the hut (although the BP post-credits stinger implies he's just waking up there). Cap's whereabouts are a bit of a pickle, as in why he didn't simply help out when Killmonger showed up, but I get the feeling Cap bounced to parts unknown after Bucky was frozen, the events of BP take place, and we'll see where Cap was in Infinity War. It certainly doesn't make sense if Cap was still in Wakanda as the movie was happening. He had to go somewhere off the grid to grow a beard or whatever it is he's doing.

4. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Having seen BP...heres two things that I want to happen moving forward....

1. With Wakandas advanced tech now being shown to the world....Tony(In reality Feige/Marvel) are out of excuses for why Tony's Suits doesn't have energy shield tech. Its been long overdue IMO...Hydra had energy shield tech in AoU and after having suit after suit of his being ripped to pieces by Killians group....It should have been priority number 1 to keep peoples hands off his actual armor......I still really love Civil War but I cant deny that the more times I watch it...the more it digs at me that Steve and Bucky were able to pound away on his suit like that....and really just the fact that Tony's suits have gotten mostly weaker since Avengers.

2. Rhodes should be healed....Wakanda could probably do it or Tony should have used extremis to heal him.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    re. post credits scene from the director (seems it's not a clip from Infinity War but something they did on their own)

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/02/ryan-coogler-talks-black-panthers-post-credits-scene-cameo/

“Obviously, it ties in [with Avengers: Infinity War], but the studio didn’t force our hand or tell us what the post-credits scene should be,” said Coogler. “It was something that we were interested in…For us, it was fun because I think the audience, if they’re familiar with the MCU, knows that Bucky is in Wakanda. It was kind of a hold-off. Our film wasn’t about Bucky, obviously, [so] we didn’t feel like it would be right to deal with him in this context. But we thought it’d be cool for the fans that stayed ’til the end to check in on this character that they love.”

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    In regards to Post Credits stingers and such...
    Cap's whereabouts and Bucky's healing take place in the Infinity War prequel comic. Cap and Black Widow are fighting ISIS cells in Syria. Shuri was already well on the way to healing Bucky and "rebooting" him so to speak.

@obi_kenobi_24 agreed about
    Rhoadie. I would love to see him be healed with Wakanda tech.

I am finally seeing Black Panther tomorrow. I tried to get a ticket for today, but sold out. I am really looking forward to it. Very impressed with what I've seen and read so far.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In re: Black Panther, Infinity War, and Bucky...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-why-black-panther-didnt-include-a-certain-major-m-1823091227

A lot of us expected the Soul Gem to show up, to be the connection to the Ancestral Plane -- and, having seen the movie, possibly be contained within the crashed meteorite that powers the flowers that give the Panthers their abilities -- and it wasn't there.

However, that doesn't mean it's not there -- just that Coogler didn't necessarily put it in the movie, focusing instead (as he says) on Vibranium.

We already know there's a massive Wakanda fight "for some reason" including the Wakandan bad-asses [BP, the Dora, M'Baku, etc.], Cap, Bucky, Falcon, Hulk, etc. so unless Vibranium is simply that important, it may still be there. It may also explain the capacity for reverse-engineering advance tech AS WELL AS the ability to heal mental conditioning like Bucky's mind control issues...

8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That's a good point, especially since the Soul Gem could
    stand in for the Bucky's memory assist from his Cosmic Cube "healing" in Brubaker's Winter Soldier arc.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I just think the Vibratium meteor shown in the very opening scene

at it's core is the Soul Gem. So, yah, it's not in Black Panther but doesn't mean it's not there in Wakanda (and is the source of Vibramium)

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How can you spell vibranium wrong twice in one post? Not even the same mistake.

Alpha-Red and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Now I'm confused as to whether the Soul Gem is in the vibranium, vibratium or vibramium. How many resources do the Wakandans have?!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    BookExogorth likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, according to the Black Panther film, there's...
    a mountain full of vibranium in Wakanda.

I hope the Soul Gem is not in Wakanda, but I could see it being there. I think the universe if such a big place. I mean, some thought the Soul Gem might be in the Quantum Real or perhaps in the Astral plane.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So the Ancestral Plane and Astral Plane are the same thing, right? Heck, half the time I heard "Ancestral plane" in Black Panther my brain auto-corrected it to "Astral Plane". anyway, I kept waiting for Doctor Strange to walk on by in the background at any moment in those scenes. but I'm fairly certain the Wakandas are accessing the same space Strange is going off to.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You don't even need that, there's always Extremis. Remember Extremis, Marvel? Yeah.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I got myself a pair of free movie tickets from work, so I’ll see Black Panther on my next day off, Tuesday or Wednesday.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was watching Spider-Man: Homecoming over the weekend. Now, I feel pretty blah about the film, so I suppose haven't paid as much attention to it as I should have, but this time I did hear Happy say they were working on a new shield for Captain America. Why would they be doing this if they were essentially broken up? Also, is it likely to have nanotech, so it can change shape? The new one we've seen doesn't seem like it be thrown and ping around like the round one. But he has to throw it like, surely.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Happy mentions a new shield for Cap and Thor's magic belt in Homecoming. A new shield for Cap could have been in the works before Civil War. I mean the Starks have been tinkering it for years.

[​IMG]

Avengers 2, Cap got an upgraded shield.
    [​IMG]

Cap's new shield could have nantech within it and it could be flexible. Not sure if it could change shape, but I wouldn't doubt it. I mean, Wakandan/Shuri tech and all...

So...
    [​IMG]

But, I imagine it will be an incredible and epic moment when Tony hands Cap his new shield.

Speaking of Homecoming, it's noted that Tony sold the Avengers Tower to a yet named buyer. Many speculated at the time it was Norman Osborne that bought the tower. Which would make sense now that Spidey is in the MCU. Some now think it would be Reed Richards. I doubt that unless they rename the building because the MCU has been pretty good with staying faithful to the source material. The Fantastic Four headquarters has been in the Baxter Building.

Anyway, I'm sure Cap's shield will have some upgrades. I like that Coulson has a shield in homage to his hero.
    [​IMG]

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    SSP, Winter Soldier next on your list, right? Can't remember if that was right after IM3.

Anyway, I just watched TWS. It's perfect. Really the point where things turned around for the Universe, I think. Work since then has been considerably better (less childish), with a few exceptions. I doubt there will be another Marvel film with this group that I'll enjoy more.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Next up is Thor: The Dark World and then Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU film, even after seeing Black Panther. The Russo Brothers did a magnificent job on the film. I love watching this film and even the credits as I love the artwork and the soundtrack.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Winter Soldier is also my favourite MCU film. It really is perfect.

Master_Lok likes this.
  21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    For me, the MCU is broken into four tiers:

1) Movies I love and that were either fantastically enjoyable or satisfying in every way.

This is Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers

2) Movies I greatly enjoy

This is Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man

3) Movies I enjoyed watching, but find ultimately forgettable

This is Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, The Incredible Hulk, Doctor Strange

4) Movies I'd like to have the time back I spent watching them and never speak of them again

That would be Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3

Haven't seen Spider-Man Homecoming, yet.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Sigh, had to cancel BP today. Trying again on Saturday morning (if I miss that, then I have to wait to rent.)

I'd say my three I'll watch anytime Marvel movies are:

Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America Civil War.

I'd be very happy with the adventures of Bucky, Steve, Sam, T'Challa, Clint and Natasha going forward (with an occasional hello from Stephen Strange, Hulk and Rhoadie.) I am surprised that MCU cosmic is not my thing -save for Strange- given how much I've enjoyed Marvel cosmic in the comics. Of course, I will see how I feel with Thanos, but I think I am just pouty because I want Galactus proper in the MCU already.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, Inty, I mean I like all of them (except for Iron Man 2 though it has some exceptionally good individual scenes)... but my top five are well above the rest...

1) The Avengers
    2) Black Panther
    3) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    4) Guardians of the Galaxy
    5) Captain America: Civil War

And I think one of the interesting through-lines is... those are the ones with the better villains (or, in GOTG's case, so evocative of the best of space opera you just need the threat of a villain mostly), as well as the best overall plots and motivations.

And go see Homecoming; it's amazing and Marvel's 2-for-2 with recent villains there...

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Civil War comes close to breaking into my Top Five. Especially with the Cleveland cameo. It's just not quite there. Everything else is significantly below those top four.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and dp4m like this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    inty's on point. except avengers 1 goes into the "just okay" tier for me - i liked the second one better.

and spiderman near the top of the top one, because it's really great.