main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don’t dislike watching films with them. Going to the cinema is a nice activity. I think the actual films selected are not well-made.

tom and Bacon164 like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, how about next time you just say, "Instead of watching MCU 24, come over and we can watch Rabbit Proof Fence. The popcorn is on me!"

I don't like you being treated the way you are being treated.

MrZAP likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is such an odd position to be in. But I agree with Wocky over Diggy.

dp4m and Diggy like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    TBH I take it as a bonus that everyone doesn't disagree with everything I post.

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    and the only reason to watch them is to be able to have something to talk about with friends and family.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Either way, I'm not buying it.

8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    -2 Spider-Man

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It had to do with different people running the productions. Jon Peters was too obsessed with his freak of nature, toy centric Superman and Batman had to take a hiatus to figure out the proper direction to go in, after "Batman & Robin". And then when there was an attempt at doing "Batman vs Superman", which had a script and a director, Peters hired JJ Abrams to block it with his crappy "Superman: Flyby" script, which then put an end to the crossover. Feige just got lucky that he was able to get the rights cleared for Captain America, the Hulk, Iron Man and Thor so that he could get the loan to make the first two Phase One films. And if those two hadn't done well enough, the whole thing would have tanked.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Do you really feel Feige "got lucky" or he actually did some work and made his vision happen? I mean, it sounding like you're saying those characters just fell out of the sky and into Fiege's lap with no effort or imagination of his part. In short, sounds you're not really giving him any credit.

And I would agree that powers at be at WB/DC couldn't see the forest through the trees and decided to go with solo/unshared universe films.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  11. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I think that's part of it. Maybe the biggest part. But in the way of handing a fig leaf out to WB what Marvel is doing with the MCU is also very counter intuitive to how Hollywood has been doing business for a long time now. Setting up a central architect and an entire studio apparatus and support structure around a single film series is far from the norm. Even Lucasfilm under Lucas wasn't that. In part because Lucas, like most creatives in Hollywood, wanted to branch out and not be known for just one thing. There is a stigma to being seen as one note that is heavily ingrained into the culture of the business. Finding someone with the combination of skill, interest in and understanding of the material, and the contentment to stay in the position long term as Feige has is no small thing. That's where I think Lady Luck has smiled down on the MCU, not so much on Feige himself (but he has had his share of good fortune along the way). So to an extent I can understand WB shying away from trying to replicate that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  12. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Ton Holland spilled the title for the next Spider-Man movie.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    “Spilled” suggests it’s an accident.

14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    No it denotes intended impression here. That was definitely staged.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Dead? Yeah, we will see if that sticks to walls too. /cynic

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  16. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wow, I did not recognize her with that hair. She's amazing on Humans (a Swedish sci-fi show about humanity and robotics).

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, she looks really different. But humans isn’t Swedish.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ah, sorry -- it's based on a Swedish show. My bad.

Diggy likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your greatest of failures!

MrZAP, dp4m and heels1785 like this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    BTW, isn't Infinity War the first movie with Avengers in it that didn't have Avengers fighting each other?

Avengers: Thor vs. Iron Man, Thor vs. Hulk, Black Widow vs. Hawkeye
    Age of Ultron: Iron Man vs. Hulk
    Civil War: Good grief.
    Ragnarok: Thor vs. Hulk, Round 2

EDIT: ah crud. Forgot about Winter Soldier; Cap and Widow did not fight.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Guardians vs Stark/Strange/Spidey count?

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Question / potential "plot hole" (though I hate that term!) that I just thought of... when you patent something, the US government gains access to the designs for that technology. For example, for top-secret military use.

During the movie "Civil War," or in its aftermath, since Iron Man is dependent on his (incredible) technology... why didn't they just give the "Iron Man technology" to every Navy SEAL and Army Ranger? Then they'd have an entire literal army of supersoldier Iron Men/Women. It's not like with Captain America where they lost the serum or whatever, or the Hulk where it's too dangerous.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is there any indication Tony actually patented his suit tech? I'm sure a lot of Stark Tech is patented but they wouldn't have the hearing in IM2 if the government already had access to the tech designs.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The US Government wanted his suit tech he said "you can't have it". Whiplash made a whole lot of drones with Hammer tech and that didn't go so well either. So it would seem the US Government basically wants to stay out of the making Iron Man tech basically after everything that happened at Stark Expo. They have War Machine and he's loyal, they seem to be fine with just him.(also it's probably really, really, really pricey and who knows any safeguards Tony built into his tech anyway) At least they can control War Machine. Until Cap came back and he changed his mind!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.