main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'll continue to follow him on there. Though, I would suspect he's the most likely one to not return because of this (as it would seem likely he would have appeared in flashback or something somehow, which makes it easier). Be curious to see if Sean Gunn returns.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I signed the petition.

I have issues over what Gunn posted. The postings were way over the line in my opinion. But it falls to DISNEY and Marvel to do their due diligence before hiring him. These things were hiding in plain sight and they overlooked them for years. That's on them. To then turn around and fire Gunn for these past comments that, to the best of my knowledge, he has not repeated or demonstrated in any way he still believes - that's not ok.

To go further: Roseanne Barr was a known Trump supporter with a loose twitter account. She'd already done and said many offensive things and everyone knew about it. Disney still saw fit to give her show a revival and then went and cancelled her after she continued a pattern of behavior. Again, that's on Disney. The difference here however is that while James Gunn ceased that bad behavior, Roseanne continued full steam ahead.

To go even further. This isn't the case where James Gunn was found to actually act on any of these comments. This was bad humor in the same way Samantha Bee calling Ivanka the c-word was bad humor. In the same way Bill Maher using the n-word was bad. If you really want to go there, George Carlin was EXTREMELY crass and yet he was Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station. Would that have been the case today?

Again however, the difference is that Gunn seemed to have moved on once hired by Disney. He was, for all intents and purposes, toeing the company line. It would be like going back and finding offensive jokes Bob Iger made years ago and using that to fire him solely based on that.

So yeah, I signed it. It won't make a difference of course.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    ...and Pom Klementieff too. So that's the whole cast except Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel (who do voice roles in post, meaning they don't spend anywhere near the amount of time with Gunn as the others do and may not feel as strongly about the man).

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  4. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    Hey, it definitely won't hurt. Especially when you've got Star-Lord, Gamora, Nebula, Drax, Mantis, Yondu, Martinex and the guy who plays Rocket onset in your corner...

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Be interesting if Gunn just went and made another movie with the entire cast.

No matter what one thinks of the tweet content, this just comes down to three things: 1) fiction targeting no one individual vs actual actions targeting actual people, 2) being fired for comments made before working for a company vs those said while working for a company & 3) Recognizing you've made a mistake and apologizing of your own accord in advance vs only doing so after it causes you problems/apologizing not because you think you're wrong but rather apologizing because you got caught.

(ok, and 4) This was all just a hit by a rapist & political troll whose conspiracy theories have almost gotten actual people harmed/killed)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    MrZAP and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because I cannot like this enough.

DarthIntegral and Rew like this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My problem with this situation:

Roseanne tweeted a "joke" - fired almost immediately (from her show)
    Gilbert Gottfried tweet a "joke" - fired almost immediately (from Geico)
    James Gunn tweeted a "joke" - ....10 years later... fired

Were the jokes bad and should he have been fired? Based on what has happened in the past - yes.

The thing is is that the jokes were brought up back during GOTG #1, he apologized and continued in the industry. So why is he be targeted now? It sounds like it's some group that is targeting him? Is it because of the recent Roseanne thing?

So I'm a fan of Chris D'Elia. He's a comedian and he's active on Instagram and Twitter. He posted a picture of his foot by one of his male opener's crotch without him noticing and making a joke of how you remind your openers you're in control of them.

So if he's filming a movie or TV show right now, can he fired from the movie if some one or some group who takes offence to him joking about potential sexual assault or potentially emasculated someone on social media?

Can nothing be done now but in 10 years, someone brings up that video and then boom - fired?

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gunn was probably due for a much larger payday for GotG V3 as well, Disney probably also thought "Hey, here's a way to get a few million back on our side!" and pulled the trigger. This is all about bank anyway, ultimately. Almighty dollar.

I'd think if Disney was looking at a big, metaphorical scale with Fire Gunn on one Side and Keep Gunn on the other, the side that has more $ and better PR is the Fire Gunn one. Sure, they're taking a financial and PR hit by firing him but it would probably be a bigger financial and PR hit if they kept him. Hell, imagine Gunn is still on as director and what the press tour for GotG V3 would be? Has anyone witness the clusterbombs that have been Woody Allen movie press tours or hell look at the recent Arrested Development press tour which became the "we're sorry for hiring Jeffery Tambor" tour. Like basically the GotGV3 press tour will ultimately be "Yah we miss James but yadda yadda is such a great director. Now let's all play Marvel trivia on Kimmell, yay!"

Gunn DID imply he would talk to Mark Hamill about a role, hopefully that happens here still.

Looks like that Lexi Alexander twittering account is deleted now. That there deleting spree of twitter is sure going around!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Wow. Wild to hear about Gunn, although I am not surprised given his past attempts at risqué humor.

I know I am in the minority of not being a big fan of these characters, but still that is rough. Taikia would probably be the best replacement.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I am Groot. :(

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    As expected Fox and Disney shareholder have approved the proposed Disney acquisition.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Fantastic. Can't wait to see the new characters implemented.

Please don't **** up The Gifted.

13. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    The deal doesn't close until sometime in the first half of next year and still needs approval in some states and foreign countries as well.

Incidentally Dark Phoenix is currently slated for a Feb 14th release next year for the people doubting it will see theaters. The deal likely won't close before then. That movie is coming out. New Mutants ... that's currently set for August '19. If I was a betting man I'd put money on it coming out to ... just not a whole lot of money.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's being dumped in the backhalf of August and doesn't have "X-Men" in the title, so I think NM will squeak through to release since it won't make much of an impact on the mass awareness of the brand and Disney can claim a little bit of cash back on it (since production costs will be uniquely not much of a factor for at least some of the remaining Fox slate, as far as Disney is concerned- it's just got marketing and theater shares to worry about).

Unless the reshoots have added more recognizable X elements into it, in which case their inevitable trailer appearances as a form of desperation may undermine that approach...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I feel like I'm the minority of not really wanting this to happen; I don't want the Fox X-Men series to end and it will kill the X-23 spinoff movie that was in the works. (Don't know enough to know if the merger is a monopoly problem, but I do tend to prefer moderate-sized business and government as a rule.)

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Disney ain't going to stop making Deadpool movies so I would think a potential X-23 film would fall under that umbrella to.

Of note, Noah Hawley of Fargo and Legion fame is working on a Doctor Doom film. What I hope is A) they keep him and the project and B) do some minor changes to integrate it into the MCU (Ant-Man started off as independent from the MCU and after Edgar Wright left - or maybe slightly before - it was backward compatible MCU made)

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder if Dark Phoenix will end with Jean Grey obliterating their universe... and from the explosion comes a new Big Bang and 6 crystals...

20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe. While I would accept any sort of movie with the character (X-23 is my most favorite X-Men character of all), I was really hoping that the original project (a Logan sequel with Dafne Keen reprising her role), would be what we get. While technically I suppose they could still do it as a sort of side project outside the MCU if they thought it would be worth the investment, I'm not sure if Disney would want to do that in order to keep the MCU synergy intact. (Also, breakout character as she is, X-23 is nowhere near as popular as Deadpool.)

I equally think that sounds awesome and don't want to see it happen.

What's with the Barney the dinosaur pic?

21. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I just want to see more Dafne Keen in anything. I was hoping she could ride the X-Men momentum for awhile longer. I really don't want her to fade away.

22. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    They could let Deadpool do his meta thing and make a "Deadpool Kills The X-Men Universe" kind of movie. Bring in Deadpool as a new X-Men recruit and thru training mishaps in the Danger Room and missions going sideways have all the X-Men killed off with only DP and his associated characters alive at the end to make the move over to the MCU.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  23. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Career-wise, I think she's going to be okay. I could theoretically see her getting to hang on to her X-23 role in some capacity (playing the character in a reboot or a cartoon voiceover) thanks to the good reception she had, but that depends on what Disney wants to do.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    is vin diesel signing as dead groot or pajamas groot