main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    But still no confirmation that he's actually directing the movie.

3. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/28/captain-america-chris-evans-2/

Chris Evans in costume.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    He looks pretty good. I personally would like him a bit more square-jawed and a bit more blond, but ultimately it's Evans's performance that will decide whether he is right for the part. I await the film with cautious optimism.

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Blleding Cool says: "certain people are saying Marvel are demanding they get [The Avengers] all done on the relative cheap. For something not far off what Sony paid to make their first Spider-Man film (at least in real terms).

"Some people say it can?t be done. Others say it can be done ? even if then, in certain well heeled Los Angeles bars, they assure each other that it can?t. And while some people have walked off the project, others are planning a longer game. Basically do the work, then when they run out of budget (which they believe they will) trust that Marvel Studios and their investors will pony up the extra necessary cash rather than leave the movie unfinished.

"As a result of such staff changes, pre-production has been delayed weeks ? possibly months. Hopefully this won?t affect filming schedule and the SFX."

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Martin Sheen is Uncle Ben.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    And Sally Field is Aunt May.

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Aronofsky confirms he's working on The Wolverine: The film that he's directing is officially called "The Wolverine," and there won't be a number attached to it. In our interview, he referred to the movie as a "one-off," and he emphasized that the film isn't a sequel in any conventional sense.

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I'm not exactly an Aronofsky fan, but it sounds like he's taking an excellent approach here.

I <3 true standalone superhero movies.:p

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds good- though it's a shame that suggests Schreiber won't be involved/returning.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Stills from Captain America:

One
    Two
    Three
    Four
    Five
    Six
    Seven
    Eight
    Nine

I just... don't know about this. I love Cap and I really want this film to be something special, but the more I know and see from it the less enthusiastic I become.

Director Johnston's Wolfman, while visually resplendent, was dumb and nonsensical, and though much of that must have hinged on the script, Johnston approved that script, spent months filming it and years tweaking it, and all the while he failed to notice how truly dumb it was. That Wolfman turned out to be a universally reviled turd does not inspire confidence in me regarding the director's ability to make Captain America into a compelling, powerful, convincingly realistic film. I just don't know if Johnston has anything beyond a really good eye for design and photography. That he designed Boba Fett's armor and accidentally made a really good early 90s superhero movie, The Rocketeer, can only extend so much fan goodwill in his direction.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, in his favor, Captain America represents material much closer in tone, setting and style to Rocketeer than Wolfman- and he's been able to guide the project from the start, unlike Wolfman's bumpy production.

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    He also (though I admit how terribly faint this praise actually is) directed the better of the two Jurassic Park sequels.

I also wonder at the notion that a good Cap movie must be a convincingly realistic one. But then, I'm someone who prefers Batman Returns to either of Nolan's films and thinks The Incredible Hulk is better than Iron Man.:p

What frustrates me about the stills is that they can do something as fun as making the red/white/blue of Cap's costume and shield pop against faded "Private Ryan" environs, but then go right back (esp. in the labs) to the oh so very very lame teal/green scheme that Hollywood refuses to stop inflicting on us.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, it's period. If you go back to the forties, that sea green color was the color for industrial equipment and institutional settings. You'll note there's not much of that color scheme outside the lab setting; the army scenes seem to be in a warm, nostalgic period earth tone, and the villains get a black/gray color scheme. It's not exactly revolutionary, but it seems to be going for a sort of bold, Americana nostalgia look. Traditional. I think it's kind of snazzy.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    It's not about the choice of paint colors on the set; it's about the way the film has been tweaked in post. See here.

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    But these are just production photos. We don't quite have an indication of the cinematography juuust yet.

Although I'm not expecting much from Johnston's DP.

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    The website calls them stills. Is there a difference between stills and screenshots?

And they've clearly gone through some digital coloring to look the way they do. I'd be surprised if they'd do all that with a completely different look from what the actual film is going for.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, but the colors have maybe been tweaked in the one lab scene, and I'm not even sure about there being much orange in that. The rest of it lacks any teal-and-orange; it's got all those different color palettes going on. That shot of Peggy and Cap in uniform might have been tweaked to give a warm earth-tone look, but it hasn't been tweaked for teal. The first and last stills pop the bright blue and red against the brown leather, gray sky, green/brown forest, and pale flesh tones, not orangeified skin. The gray-green set with Weaving is gray-green in general; the skin is pale and largely shadowed. The shot with Armitage is pure gray and black. The motorcycle shot is black/gray on brown/green. Even in the sea-green/teal lab set still with shirtless Cap, his flesh tone is human, not Jersey Shore Labeouf. I just don't buy it.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So about a month and a half ago, it seems the script for Deadpool leaked at NYCC, so some details and reviews have made their way online (though they have since been taken down at Fox's request). The reviews were apparently raving, saying it comes across like a Tarintino film, crossing the "bleak horror of TDK" with the "spectacular highs of Iron Man", blending the two genres extremely well:

In its best moments, Deadpool is like reading Van Wilder meets Kill Bill, a genius mix of insane dark comedy and ridiculous over the top violence the likes of which we've never seen in any other superhero movie before."

The same reviews suggest, based on the script, that ""it'll only work with Ryan Reynolds. The character of Deadpool is written in his voice, his style, and when you read it, it's impossible not to hear him talking in your head. It'd never work with anyone else but if Reynolds really steps up and takes on the role, it could be the defining moment of his career. Deadpool could become a pop culture icon; he could be Ryan's Captain Jack Sparrow. He's that good.""

The movie apparently starts with Wade at the peak of his career, with his origins fleshed out in flashbacks, and "This script eliminates that problem (the Deadpool origin in the Wolverine movie) brilliantly by, well, mocking it. The script never comes right out and mentions Wolverine, it's all accomplished through one specific subtle reference, which says everything that needs to be said. It's as though the character of Deadpool exists in a world where Wolverine is a movie that he's seen, and hates. Deadpool literally throws everything Wolverine did to screw up this character in the trash can, and then spends the rest of the movie endlessly poking fun at the celebrity of Hugh Jackman."

Some other characters appearing based in script spoilers:

-Blind Al (who spends most of the movie trying to assemble IKEA furniture)
    -Patch the dispatcher
    -Weapon X cameos: Wyre, Ajax, Sluggo and Garrison Kane
    -Vanessa Carlysle (Wade's romance with her is apparently a big part of the story, though she's not shown to be Copycat/a mutant)
    -Colossus (""...there's a huge role in this movie for Colossus, one of the most famous X-Men who has never really gotten a proper treatment on screen in any of the X-Men movies. Colossus had a cameo of sorts in X-Men 3, but here he gets a personality and plenty of fight scenes, at times serving as the straight man to Deadpool's morally ambiguous hijinks. It's a genius pairing; an indestructible superhero odd couple who work so well on the page that you'll hope that the sequel will find a way to put them together permanently."")

One last, great, tidbit that I so wish to be true on every official level of Marvel continuity now:

"WADE sifts through various MASKS in the back of a costume
    store. For ***** and giggles, he puts his fist inside a
    SPIDER-MAN MASK.
    He stares at the mask a moment. Then, on a hunch, turns it
    INSIDE OUT. The inside of the mask is RED. With BLACK
    AROUND the EYES.
    Wade SMIRKS. INSPIRATION has STRUCK."

It sounds too good to be true. You read all that and you wonder- "How will Fox **** this up?"

In other news:

Adam Berg rumored to direct Deadpool

Interview with Screenwriter Rhett Reese

While Reese wouldn't speak to the rumored director would-be's he would, however, talk about the difficulty of making a Deadpool movie in general. What do you do with a character who's beloved for being "in the now" ? in that you don't care how he came to be, or where he goes after this, you just love following him around. How do you create an arc for that character, given that his chief lure is his total shallowness?

"Ultimately, I think despite how fun he is in the now, we really did want to explore how he became that way and why he became that way, we definitely delve into that,

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Deadpool does sound like fun. But I doubt it'll make its way to the screen untarnished.

That being said...

Aronofsky chatting about The Wolverine.

Sounds interesting, although he could fall into the trap of thinking himself "above" a genre, and then we end up with a crushing bore of a film. But there's no way it could be worse than X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Have you seen The Fountain? It's quite possible. :p

For all it's faults, Wolverine was at least 1/2 a decent movie- it just happens to fall apart rather rapidly right in the middle.

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    As problematic as The Fountain was, I'd watch it 100 times over again before I put X-Men Origins: Wolverine in the player ever again.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just stop the movie once Logan is running into barns naked and you're good.

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Months after the leaked trailer, we finally have the official release of the Thor trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026342/video/23447610

25. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Um yeah I see what they're tying to do. And the scenes on Asgard has a Shakespearing feel that Branagh is quite well at doing. But I just get the feeling like with Ang Lee's Hulk it's going to be a well respected film maker just of his element. And we're going to get a movie that leaves audience meh about it.