main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Marvel Cinematic Universe & Marvel Film/TV Discussion Threads Index

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU):
    Film:
    -Ant-Man (Ant-Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp & Quantumania)
    -Armor Wars (previously a Disney+ series)
    -The Avengers (The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Infinity War, Endgame, The Kang Dynasty & Secret Wars)
    -Black Panther (Black Panther & Wakanda Forever)
    -Black Widow
    -Captain America (The First Avengers, The Winter Solider, Civil War & Brave New World)
    -Captain Marvel (Captain Marvel & The Marvels)
    -Doctor Strange (Doctor Strange & Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness)
    -Eternals
    -Guardians of the Galaxy (Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, I Am Groot, Holiday Special & Vol. 3)
    -The Incredible Hulk
    -Iron Man (Iron Man, Iron Man 2 & Iron Man 3)
    -Shang-Chi (Legend of the Ten Rings)
    -Spider-Man & Sony's Spider-Man Universe Films (Spider-Man: Homecoming, Far From Home No Way Home; Venom, Morbius, Into the Spider-verse, Across the Spider-verse); Previously Discussing The Amazing Spider-Man films.
    -Thor (Thor, The Dark World, Ragnarok & Love and Thunder)

TV:
    -Agatha: Darkhold Diaries (Disney+)
    -Agent Carter (ABC)
    -Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC & Disney+)
    -Cloak and Dagger (Freeform)
    -Daredevil (Born Again) (Netflix Disney+)
    -The Defenders (Netflix Disney+)
    -Echo (Disney+ / Hulu)
    -Eyes of Wakanda (Disney+)
    -Falcon & Winter Soldier (Disney+)
    -Hawkeye (Disney+)
    -Helstrom (Hulu)
    -Inhumans (IMAX/ABC & Disney+)
    -Iron Fist (Netflix Disney+)
    -Ironheart (Disney+)
    -Jessica Jones (Netflix Disney+)
    -Loki (Disney+)
    -Luke Cage (Netflix Disney+)
    -Moon Knight (Disney+)
    -Most Wanted (ABC) (Unaired Pilot)
    -Ms. Marvel (Disney+)
    -New Warriors (Freeform) (Unaired pilot)
    -The Punisher (Netflix Disney+)
    -The Runaways (Hulu & Disney+)
    -Secret Invasion (Disney+)
    -She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+)
    -WandaVision (Disney+)
    -Werewolf By Night: A Special Presentation (Disney+)
    -What If...? (Disney+)
    -Wonder Man (Disney+)

Non-MCU Marvel Films:
    -Deadpool
    -Fantastic Four
    -X-Men Films (First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Legion, Gifted & General TV/Spin-Off Discussion)

MCU Timeline/Viewing Order:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Seriously? I'm not looking forward to this one - the appeal of Hank Pym, for me at least, is the fact that his powers have literally driven him quite crazy over the years, which the film probably won't even touch. If it does, then it'll be a flop. No win scenario.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the main issue is that Hank Pym is more interesting than Ant-Man. I also don't think you can really market a movie titled "Ant-Man" (or "Gi-ant Man"), though "Yellow Jacket" wouldn't be too bad, but that's not as well known.

Focus on Hank and his ****ed up marriage to Wasp, with Ultron's creation foreshadowed for a second Avengers film and you're good, though.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm looking forward to it, because Edgar Wright is a director who has yet to let me down.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Still waiting on a good Spider-Man movie. If they cast Percy Jackson and Wichita in the new one, I imagine I'll still be waiting after that.

Also, lets get Chiwetel Ejiofor in the Black Panther outfit already (or Djimon Hounsou, but he's probably too old).

And Michael Jai White as Luke Cage.

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
  7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I have to admit I'm thrilled beyond all reason that these movies are happening, and that most of them have been as successful (in popular terms and artistic, IMO) as they have been. As a Marvel fan since the 70s, and especially during the 80s when I had no less than 9 Marvel subscriptions (Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Captain America, Web of Spider-Man, plus all four Conan titles), today I feel a sense of ownership of, or at least participation in, this phenomenon.

Without the massive, collective will of the fanbase to make these films, a force which has been snowballing for some decades, there never would have been the numbers, from a marketing standpoint, to produce any of these movies on such a colossal scale or, most importantly, to remain so true to the source material. We, the fans, en masse and individually, can be proud to say that we affected those creative and corporate decisions; we helped to get these movies made.

Now, with success after success from various teams and approaches and studios, the Marvel film-making machine seems to have reached its stride, and is now building toward its zenith. I feel like the next three films -- Cap, Thor, Avengers -- are movies for which I've been waiting almost my entire life; I remember reading Captain America in 1976 -- the year before Star Wars came out -- and thinking what a great movie it would make! (The 1989 "movie" does not count -- because it doesn't. :mad: [face_sick] [face_plain] ) In 1987 I wrote the first act of a Thor screenplay, using various versions of his comic-book origin story, and some tomes on Norse mythology, as sources. (Even today my 1978 Mego Thor action figure stands guard nobly over my computer, hammer cocked in readiness!) I'm attached to these characters at the heart.

I'm primed, I'm pumped, I'm ready to cheer for what I imagine (and hope) will become the greatest superhero movie of all time: The Avengers. On the way toward that pie-in-the-sky goal, I'll take each character film as its own entity, not as a mere set-up, and critique each on its own terms. Yet I regard the Avengers as the culmination of all matters Marvel -- and it had better be a 4- or 5-star masterpiece, to justify its own existence!

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    While I largely agree with Merlin_Ambrosius69[/i] -- the shared Marvel film universe is a lovely concept and I'm so glad to see it happening -- I can't help but wonder how broadly shared the sentiment of this unfortunate review of Iron Man 2 is. How invested will people who aren't interested in the comics going to be in this shared universe style of storytelling, especially if it grows? I mean, if Marvel Studios helms films like The Runaways outside the immediate Avengers franchise, will they be throwing in links and easter-eggs to the Avengers films? Will movie fans who aren't comics fans geek out over such gratuitous stuff, or will they be indifferent to it, or annoyed by it?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One of the recent interviews I read with the Marvel folk said that, despite the connected nature of the films, they want to make sure each film can stand alone- that you don't need see Incredible Hulk & Captain America to understand Thor, etc (though I imagtine that would apply less to direct sequels ala IM & IM2). I think that might curve some concerns along those lines if that pans out.

10. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008

To be honest I don't feel like it matters. If people miss the point of the inclusion of certain elements, I don't see why that interferes with the enjoyment of the film, and there is something for the fans to enjoy on a whole other level.

The article you link to asks why anyone else should care who Nick Fury is. And maybe they shouldn't. The way I see it though, its one more inclusion of a larger franchise that I don't find to be any different than laying seeds in any other franchise. Nick Fury and S.H.E.I.L.D. may not have anything to do immediately with the story of Iron Man, but they will. Do nods like the Ten Rings really make that much of a difference?? Not presently no, but in the event they get to doing a Mandarin Story I am sure that will make a lot more sense and make people go back to the first Iron Man movie to enjoy seeing the seeds being laid that they missed the first time.

As Quest says the films stand alone and serve to tell individual stories. I don't see the problem with weaving in a larger tapestry. Its not like doing so makes the films entirely inaccessible to anyone whose never read a comic. In fact I find it gets more people interested.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I find that layering in of background material lends verisimilitude to a film; it's akin to the world-building we see in the SW and LOTR films.

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    That's along the lines I was thinking as well.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
  14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    That is a freaking awesome -- read: highly informative -- interview and article! Feige confirms that the Avengers will be "a culmination of this first cycle of Marvel films", but that "the cycle was as much about the will to make films with those [individual] characters as much as it is to bring them all together in one film."

Here's a demonstrative (and juicy!) sample:

The producer said the sequence of films is a deliberate choice to give each character a debut. "['The Avengers'] comic was not about five new heroes you've never seen before just forming a team. It was about five heroes you've seen, whose comics you've liked, teaming up together for the first time," Feige explained. "The fun for us in an Avengers movie is not just simply having the characters interact together and having to introduce them for the first time, but if you've already seen them and already know them, hopefully, you'll already like them and see how their heroism and how their dynamics change entirely when they're butting up against each other."

That about sums up the thrill of the Avengers, and Feige's approach and attitude in general (especially about creativity and not caving to fans' demands) is very promising.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    [image=http://www.winonlyriders.net/thelostforum/cinema/Spiderman2.jpg]

16. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/4565805724_f82808c1af_o.jpg]

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Wow. Sweet Thor picture!

18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeeeeaaaahhhhh, still waiting.

Sweet Thor picture. After seeing that and the leaked Destroyer pic, this movie will at least look badass.

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    That is mighty awesome. I like that they're going with the more modern, armored look, and that he's bearded, and that his hair is kind of a reddish-gold rather than yellow blond. He looks and feels like Marvel's Thor, but also subtly evokes the original mythological conception as well. Bravo, Branagh!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I also like that it's a very short beard- sort of a compromise between a fully bearded look and the more common shaved look. Should satisfy everyone.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick-Ass) is directing X-Men prequel X-Men: First Class, opening June 3, 2011.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    And Hugo Weaving has been confirmed as the Red Skull in Captain America.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I just had a fangasm.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Eh, unless an Age of Apocalypse film ever comes about the continuing Super Hero Boom doesn't really interest me at all. I'd love to see something that feels like an honest to god story in itself rather than another franchise installment that mostly sets up the next installment, which will be slightly different than the previous one, but with a new hottie actress thrown in...ugh.

25. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Watchmen