main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That Ant-Man art is promo art for Marvel's presence at Comic-Con this week. The film doesn't start shooting until next month so there won't be any footage shown, though.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I am interested in seeing Ant-Man but I'm more interested in seeing what the script credit is going to be. Story by Edgar Wright or Screenplay by Edgar Wright & Adam McKay & other folk, etc. I don't think he's not going to have a credit on it, I think Kevin Fiege said the basic spine of Wright's story is still there. Zack Penn got a screenplay co-credit on Avengers and apparently there isn't a word of his script in there!

http://www.businessinsider.in/Joss-...inal-Avengers-Script/articleshow/38612600.cms

"I don't think you have anything," Whedon told Feige. "You need to pretend this draft never happened."

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, Marvel slapped a placeholder on it, but it could simply to be to hold it in case of Star Wars. It's all Disney, afterall.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is there a thing about people not liking Weaving's performance? I was really pleasantly surprised at what a fine performance it was (during the all-too-brief moments when he was actually on screen without that stupid skull face.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Silly lad, SW died in 2005. It's just that the rotten corpse has been left out in the open far too long.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(urns).

Darth-Lando and darth-sinister like this.
  7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

He was fine, "fans" are just mopey about the fact he doesn't seem to want to come back to it.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I haven't seen too many complaints, but before I stopped frequently Comic Book Resources Forums, I didn't visit the Marvel board too much. So it's hard to say there.

9. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Agreed; he did an excellent job with both Schmidt and the Skull.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It feels weird agreeing with you. Stop it.

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    He said "people", not trolls.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not everyone is a troll that complains.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Not everyone who complains is a troll.

14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    So more concept art was revealed, showing the Vision seen from the back with bad lighting.

Something really odd about "revealing" concept art for a comic book movie.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, except later in this post you said that movie is before this one. What's the deal?

How wasn't it "necessary?" If Captain America, Nick Fury, and their umbrella organization all felt things were legitimately beyond their control, then they needed help. Like Thor, for instance. If they didn't need any help, and had things perfectly well in hand, then the threat in Winter Soldier[i/] was overblown. Neither explanation comes off well for the franchise.

The reasoning for why people do and don't help each other is entirely contrived, and makes no real sense in-universe.

16. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm reminded of a similar question, posed in the extended cut of the 1978 "Superman" film. Jor-El tells Clark that he must still preserve his human identity, and gives two reasons. The first is that humans have a tendency to abuse offered help when they don't actually need it, and the second is Clark''s enemies seeking to hurt him through his loved ones. This can be applied to the MCU, in that the other realms all have their own responsibilities to bear, and multiple warriors will only arrive at the moments of greatest need. Cap, Natasha, and Fury managed to defeat HYDRA on their own, with some help from Sam Wilson and Maria Hill. They didn't require Asgardian assistance to succeed. However, with events like Loki and the Chitauri, or Ultron and later Thanos, different strategies will apply.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The timeline is "Iron Man 3" which is six months after "The Avengers". Nearly a year after the Battle of New York is when "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." starts. That November is when "The Dark World" takes place, which is over a year after "The Avengers" and two years after "Thor". "The Winter Soldier" takes place in April of this year. "Age Of Ultron" comes out next year and according to Entertainment Weekly, nearly a year will have passed in which the Avengers have been run ragged fighting HYDRA and dealing with other issues that S.H.I.E.L.D. normally dealt with.

Now, how this relates is that the Bifrost is down after "Thor". Odin had to use a lot of dark magic to send Thor to Earth and afterwards, we see that he and Loki use the Tesseract to return home. In the aftermath, though, a number of wars broke out in the other eight realms which required Thor, Sif and the Warriors Three to take part in stopping. After defeating Malekith, Thor and Jane decide to spend time on Asgard. But as we learned when Sif came to Earth on her own, a number of issues have come up with stuff that was lost or people who escaped following the war with the Dark Elves. Thor is obviously busy with those issues which is why he isn't able to come to Earth when the three Helicarriers are launched. Heimdall saw what was going on and saw that Cap, Falcon, Widow, Hill and Fury had it under control. Course, he might have talked to Odin, but with Loki doing his thing, was convinced that there was no need to summon Odinson to deal with it. We'll see what "Age Of Extinction" says.

The five of them felt confident enough that despite the danger and risk, they could manage. Stark is armor less now, which they know. Banner is too much of a wild card. Hawkeye was elsewhere. Rhodes was probably dealing with things elsewhere. Thor was most likely busy. Ergo it fell to them and they succeeded in spite of the odds.

As I said, not every matter requires the full team. It's a case by case situation. In the comics, Tony had to fight in two sets of "Armor Wars" without the Avengers. In "The Blood Stone Hunt", Cap only had Diamondback as his backup while dealing with multiple members of his rogues gallery. He didn't summon help for that. When Thor fought the Juggernaut the second time, he didn't enlist the Avengers or the X-Men to help him. That is how it is in solo books and films with these characters. It is that way across both companies.

18. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    No one has commented yet on the rumours of Joaquin Phoenix in talks for Doctor Strange?

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    The rumor started because he bought doctor strange comics in a store. That's it. I really highly doubt only non celebrities read doctor strange.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Alternatively, it means I'm under consideration for the part of Dr. Strange.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You're one of those people who can't stop griping about the eagles in LotR, aren't you? Chill. These are movies.

No, I mean, seriously. This was a Captain America movie, not an Avengers movie. Exactly how much of the movie did you fume through because Thor wasn't in it? The conceit is that this is a story about Captain America and something he handled on his own. Do you read the comics? Do you wonder, in reading the comics, why ever character isn't in every story? I mean, honestly, why isn't Superman in every Batman story? Or Green Lantern? Right? Why isn't everyone in everything? Because that would be stupid. And because the entire conceit of the solo movie is that it's a solo movie. At some point you have to buy the central idea of the fiction and stop going to the solo movies and then coming out incensed because they were solo movies.

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

You have my vote over Joaquin. I just don't see him in this particular role. If he wants to play Mordo or voice Dormammu ok. But Strange just doesn't seem like the right fit for him. Some of the other rumors also seemed to skew younger so this one is a bit surprising in comparison.

23. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    No... thats not it. A handful of trades websites also reported it. Deadline went out on a limb and said he has the part. These websites are very rarely wrong. At the very least, he's in consideration for the role.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  25. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    "lol" what? How often does an actor go out and buy a pile of comic books of just a certain character, for just bathroom reading material? One who happens to be in the middle of casting its lead role?