main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    2016 will be quite a year. Two MCU, two DCU (unless it's Shazam and it goes to New Line), one Fox and one Sony.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What other explanation is there? It would be like suggesting Marvel just randomly plugs in "characters" that aren't really well-developed into hackneyed, overly-formulaic plots that bear over-much similarity to one another in the relentless demographic box-checking.

Oh, wait.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because a synopsis for a tentpole picture never sounds vague and generic when released months before the first trailer has even been released? It's not exactly uncommon.

James Bond must get laid while chasing, shooting and blowing up bad guys while in the pursuit of another bad guy. Batman must try to stop (Ras/Joker/Bane) from attacking the city of Gotham and exposing its corrupt nature.

They likely needed to slap something into a marketing kit but didn't want to tip their hand yet as to revealing the specifics of the marketing campaign before they're ready to launch the trailer and posters (alongside whatever imagery/iconography they intend to focus on).

All joking aside, if you look past the "the Avengers must assemble to face a new villain that threatens the world" element (which is sort of, ya know, the whole point to the Avengers to begin with), it actually is a very different story (albeit one represented in the broadest of strokes in that synopsis) with the emphasis on Tony and the peacekeeping program and the nature of Ultron's threat being very different than Loki's (internal/personal technological threat with the goal of human extinction vs external cosmic warlord looking to conqueror/enslave/rule over humanity).

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You liked I, Robot.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I feel kinda bad that Wocky has to watch these weird alternate versions of the MCU where everything he says is actually true.

Jedi Merkurian and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We told him to lose the goatee, but he wouldn't listen. That's how you end up in the Mirror Universe.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    University of Baltimore to offer course on the MCU.

Admit it, Wocky- you're tempted, aren't you? ;)

The University of Baltimore is set to offer a film course examining the intricate, interwoven narratives and canny box office strategy behind Marvel Studios' interconnected cinematic universe.

It seems that the phenomenal success of Guardians of the Galaxy -- so far 2014's top-grossing film, although contrary to what the course's website says, not expected to stay that way -- has driven a new level of interest on the part of academics, who now see that the studio doesn't need to "play it safe" with stylistically similar films and recognizable characters (yes, Iron Man was a gamble at that point but even he had already been the subject of animated TV series before).

The course will be taught by Arnold T. Blumberg, an adjunct faculty member in UB's Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences. Blumberg said this critical look will encourage students to better understand the culture's fixation on superheroes, fictional global threats, and other "widescreen" novelistic tales that have pushed the comic book-to-film ethos into new territory.

"One thing we'll do is dive into the impact of the Guardians of the Galaxy film, which proved two things: Mainstream movie audiences are not remotely tired of superhero movies; and Marvel Studios can now release a sci-fi adventure that actually features talking trees and raccoons. It's not that they're getting away with it—they've created a universe in which fans completely accept these developments, and they're ready for even more," the professor is quoted as saying.

The professor compares the Marvel films to Star Trek and Star Wars, saying that they embrace theorist Joseph Campbell's insight that mythmaking and storytelling are rooted in a fundamental quest for justice, peace, power, family, and love.

"Every generation has a modern media mythology that serves as a framework for entertaining as well as educating about ethics, morality, issues of race, gender, class, and so on," Blumberg said. "For the past several years, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings have served in that role for tens of millions. When I was younger, it was the first Star Wars series, which I saw in the theater. For me, that saga—along with many other science fiction stories—provided that essential exploration of the hero journey, the struggle of good vs. evil, in a mainstream pop culture context."​

Gamiel and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I really, really hope that's one of those deceptive "Oh, pop culture, that'll be easy" traps where they just drop heavy critical theory on you as they hit the ground running. It'd be beautiful.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So HYDRA and James Spadertron are both going to be baddies in Avengers 2?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My guess would be that HYDRA will not be the primary threat- just the initial one used to introduce the twins via the Baron*. In the wake of that incident, Ultron will emerge and become the primary threat for the rest of the film.

*Even then, it seems the Baron is less HYDRA and more his own operation.

11. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I need some help with this. I've tried to figure it out, but I keep getting more and more confused.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=captain america the first avenger bklu ray

Under "Product Details" it gives the region as "A/1", which means it will play on North America Blu Ray players. However, directly under the price it says, "Region 21720 encoding. (This DVD will not play on most DVD players sold in the US or Canada [Region 1]. This item requires a region specific or multi-region DVD player and compatible TV." This seems to indicate that the DVD won't play on Region 1 DVD players.

Will the DVD in the package play or not on a regular DVD player?

I had sworn for years that I would never get a Blu Ray player, but my grandfather recently gave Dad an HD TV that he used to own and Dad bought me a Blu Ray player for my birthday today. Unfortunately, the Blu Ray is fully digital and the HD TV still uses analog signals. Rather than buying a converter cable, Dad simply bought a DVD player for $30 to hook to the TV, so I'll be using it for the time being. The Blu Ray is in their bedroom, but Dad said that when he eventually replaces their flatscreen TV, I'll get the Blu Ray and the flatscreen both in my room.

I'm buying a couple of the films on Blu Ray for the bonus one shots, but I don't want to be stuck having to watch the Blu Rays only in the 'rent's bedroom until I get the player back, because it would limit how often I could watch the films.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Cursory Googling seems to indicate that Region 21720 is not actually something that exists, so it's probably just an error.

Real talk: with the US Amazon site, unless you're buying from a non-default listing, it's borderline impossible to accidentally get a wrong region DVD/Blu-Ray.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ramza, not entirely true.

There was a huge fight with Disney and Amazon and Amazon refused to put up the Cap 2 pre-orders for a while while they were trying to make the sweet, sweet Amazon Instant Video money, so there were a lot of Asian version / potentially fake listings of blu-rays up. So just beware and as long as you're buying the official Marvel version from US Amazon, it should be fine.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That'd be why I used the exact phrase "unless you're buying from a non-default listing." Amazon tends to make it fairly obvious which one you ought to be using unless you're on some kind of hardcore hunt. Those asian bootleggers usually aren't going through Prime, for example.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Right, though it was the default for a while -- I almost had that problem (though, as you rightly note, the lack of Prime was a big help).

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean, I'm cognizant of the fact that there can be issues (I like martial arts movies, 'nuff said), but if nothing else that is definitely not the case with that first listing here. Nor indeed with most cases - Cap 2 stands out precisely because that's such a strange deviation from the norm.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dr Strange Joaquin Phoenix out, Ethan Hawke in?

http://www.hitfix.com/news/report-is-ethan-hawke-now-the-top-choice-to-play-marvels-doctor-strange

I dig both actors but I've always thought Hawke was underrated by the mainstream and has put in a ton of fantastic performances (most recently in Before Midnight) and he kinda looks the part a bit more. Also you'd figure Hawke would seemingly be a bit more, erm, "energetic" to watch on the inevitable Marvel press tour grind. Although he does get a bit of "boooo, grrrr!" reactions online but I think that's holdovers of some people being ticked he was on the cover of Tiger Beat teen mags in the early 90s or something.

To be fair, this rumour comes not from the trades but a "scoops" website so take it for what it's worth.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That would be a hell of a lot of regions!

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is Benedict even capable of facial hair?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cliff Simon (Ba'al on SG-1) would work well, though I doubt he's in consideration.

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I want Ralph Fiennes.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I assume he's married.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They should go with Depp.

He's already Strange.

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    No, he played too many weird roles already.