main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    How can they really have a superhero registration act story when Steve Rogers has an exhibit in the Smithsonian dedicated to him, Tony Stark publicly said "I Am Iron Man," the Falcon is totally just Sam Wilson being awesome, and Natasha Romanoff made public all of SHIELD's secrets and went to a Senate hearing? Like the whole "go public" angle does not work in the MCU :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why is why Marvel was in discussions with Sony for Spidey at the same time they were working on a contract with Downey. Spidey is going to be in Civil War and be the one who reveals himself, which will give a much needed "Avengers bump" to Sony's Spidey franchise. We're through the looking glass here, people! All the pieces fit!!

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  4. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Reposting for relevance.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Somewhat easily. One possible idea would be: that move works out disastrously for Natasha, Sam, etc. and with Stark proposing this for the rest of the super-powered community following the "miracles" in Age of Ultron, Captain America stands up for the other side knowing the impact it's had on Natasha (in particular).

I mean, there are any number of things they can come up with -- we have like 4-5 movies, including an Avengers film, before finding out what they have in mind.

The only thing we know for sure: DC is pleased they made the move away from the same date with BvS now that Stark is gonna be in the film!

6. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I'm still leery. The movie version of civil war is just going to seem forced no matter what they do. The other aspect that hasn't been mentioned about the original civil war was the reality tv/pop culture corruption of the super heroes. When the New Warriors went in to get the villains, even though they were all in over their heads, just to get tv ratings, it was brilliant. The specific oversized panel when Nitro blew up and killed 90 (or however many it was) school children was even more brilliant. It was the overreaction to the tragedy that caused all of civil war.

Now, obviously, we know how this would play out in the MCU. Stark creates Ultron, which goes berserk, causing Stark guilt. But it seems like it would have the opposite affect as it should. People would be less likely to follow Stark, not more likely. And the result doesn't seem to match up. Stark, in his overreaction to guilt and grief, proposes the hero registration act. (or becomes the spokesperson for it) I don't think too many heroes would follow him to set up sides for the war like in the comic. (Spider Man makes a guest appearance from Sony, says "Hey, guys Stark's creation just killed thousands of people, but I'm going to reveal my identity because I think what he now says makes sense...."?)

The rationale behind the original civil war worked because it originated away from the A list Marvel Heroes. The New Warriors were D list heroes at best, but their actions carried over to every single hero, so people stood up and took notice- ie, "How did a nobody like Speedball end up destroying 8 city blocks? We don't even know who he is, and we need to make sure all heroes are trained to the same level, etc..") If the plot starts with a main character, it's doing to change the rationale a bit.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

To be clear, I think it's primarily a smokescreen. I think the whole point of this is to get to "The Death of Captain America" by the end of the third movie (potentially with Evans making a comeback, potentially Death-inspired, in Avengers 4 for the final showdown with Thanos). I think it will be a Civil War-esque thing, but not the whole point of what they're trying to do -- which is to have the emotional gut-punch of Cap dying, Bucky regaining his humanity and taking over the mantle.

9. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    That makes sense. Didn't one of those links also indicate that Marvel was "rebooting" civil war in a sense in the comics to fit more with the movies? Marvel does have the razor sharp ability to tailor stories to the media that they occur in.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The reasons for the war will be different. Most likely building off of HYDRA's return and Ultron's actions.

We haven't even seen "Age Of Ultron" which will no doubt set the stage for Cap 3 and the rest of the films going forward.

Proposing the Avengers Initiative would garner support over just relying on Ultron.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    At least Stark and Rogers can easily be pushed into their Civil War mindsets after whatever the inciting incident is.

Tony has seen what people going wild with powers and supertech can do, due to the Whiplash and Extremis incidents, and I'm assuming AoU is going to hammer this point down even harder, if rumors on the creation of Ultron are to be believed. It's not hard to see he'd agree that the "gifted" need to be controled.

Cap has seen what unrestricted access to information in the hands of the powerful can do, thanks to the Insight Project. That could easily take him to consider the implications the possible registration act would have.

I mean... I'm starting to think this is too perfect to be casual, honestly.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Adding to the rumor mill

Colin Farrel as Doc Strange and Tom Hardy as Apocalypse despite the rumor that he is wanted for Suicide Squad.

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Wasn't Hardy up for Strange too? If he can get a Sony Spiderman casting rumor he'll have bingo

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Apparently he was. Whatev, I think Farrel is not not Dr Strange at all, but he is skilled enough to pull it off. But I don't want "pull it off" I want what's right whomever that could turn out to be.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm still partial to Keanu Reeves, myself. He seems like he's looking into another plane of reality half the time anyway.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Apocalypse to Xavier: "When your school for the gifted is in ashes, then you'll have my permission to die."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Totally agreed. In addition, Stark has seen everybody else be in charge, and maybe now he feels he should be in charge of this stuff. He knows he's a good guy and wants to take control of the situation. We know Maria Hill is already working for him.

Plus, in the comics the world had already been established with superheros. In the MCU, it's only really beginning. It's getting in on the ground floor rather than tying to completely reformat the way everyone lived already.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Guys I need to disclose this, I, along with every other human male, am up for the role of Doctor Strange.

That's all.

19. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Its an honor just to be considered, though I wish I had found out from something other than a forum post.

Penguinator likes this.
  20. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It is disgusting. I am disgusted.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, I got the notification too.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have gray heir on the sides, I should be Doctor Strange.

24. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    or Reed Richards.

25. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Nah, Doctor Strange.