main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

"Myuh-myuh!"

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    BC will probably do a great job but I had kept holding out for Hugh Laurie personally.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He's the big bad, he should be strong enough to not just take on Thor, but also threaten the world.

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He was the brains, not the brawn. Luthor can't fight Superman, neither can the Joker fight Batman. That's what minions are for. His threat was what he was willing to use the Aether for.

The real problem is they never really settled on how personal his mission was- they go back and forth between him seemingly having a personal vendetta with Asgard to him being indifferent so long as they die along with everyone else. In one scene he's defacing the Asgardian throne, in another he doesn't care, then he threatens Thor's family personally, etc, etc.

7. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

i couldn't take him seriously as a villain because he had the whole 'evil george washington leading an army of teletubbies' thing going on.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's kinda silly to talk about a brain villain in a Thor movie because the main focus was not some villain's cunning plan, but the big battle and the myth. Especially he was not human but the leader of a powerful alien race. Joker can fight Batman.

Brain villain=Cunning Villain, not weak villain

Yes.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The main focus was on the mastermind's plot to unless the Aether across the Nine Realms and extinguish the light of the entire universe. The minions and muscle (Kurse, etc) were there to do the dirty work. After the hero gets through them, the Mastermind is now superpowered and can go mano y mano.

It's a pretty typical villain setup- and even not all that different from many Bond films, let alone action hero, super hero and fantasy films.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's really not some really interesting plan, if the plan could not raise much interest, then it's not wise to set him as some brain villain.

Even real good brain villains could be very powerful, such as Sidious and Saruman, AKA Sauron if we count the Hobbit trilogy in.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile arguing with slowpokeking over the subject of intelligence tbh.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    His plan was to end the universe. It was a stop-the-super-weapon/evil wizard plot. You have the Guy in Charge, the Henchman and the bomb/magic power that makes the Guy in Charge powerful. It's not complex.

All that's missing is a "No, Mr Thor, I expect you to die." quip.

Jedi Ben and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No it's not, so the plan was quite generic with little surprise, which was not enough for a "pure brain villain".

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He wasn't pure brain but he wasn't the muscle henchmen. He was the guy in charge. His plan was generic- that's what I was pointing out, that it's an archetypal villain plot. He was Goldfinger (with more capable combat ability), not Oddjob whom the hero has to fight hardest (before Malekilth gets the Aether).

Anyways, it's not worth arguing about-everyone agrees he was an underdeveloped villain to one extent or another so we can move on.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's not quite as ridiculous as it sounds: though Doctor Strange has been depicted with western features throughout almost all of his appearances, in his first three stories he was drawn with an arguably Asian look to his eyes:
    [​IMG]

By his fourth story, his origin story, he was depicted with much more traditionally western features, and he's been drawn that way ever since.

So there might well have been some whitewashing, but if so it happened back in the 60's.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep, the character's origin has him born in Nebraska to Eugene and Beverly Strange. So he has been Caucasian since his fourth story.

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm loving that Benedict is Strange, some of the comments I've read are just ridiculous. Some people on Twitter and Facebook is just, well, I just understand why I don't go there. I suppose it is the internet in general that can be awful, I understand not liking something but some people...

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Their tune will change when the first trailer hits.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah. As much as I hate Cumberbutches for the part, the movie is going to probably be amazing all the same. It just won't be the traditional way I was expecting it, but it'll work.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, after all, Marvel has yet to fail.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope they get someone better to play Wong. Like, dunno, ADOLF HITLER.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Now that would be whitewashing.

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

[​IMG]

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Supposedly Al Pacino has met with Feige.