main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Haven't seen it 100% confirmed yet. That said I wonder if Zemo is going to be the Red Skull surrogate for the modern ultimate Cap enemy

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think Zemo was a part of the original Civil War storyline at all. Makes me wonder if he's an opening baddie ala Bartoc in "Winter Solider" or he'll be integrated into the story (sort of a "main baddie" that Stark and Cap can team up against in the third act).

It was actually Joss Whedon at a Marvel comics retreat (for 10 freakin' minutes!) who came up with the idea (Civil War spoilers herein)

http://www.whedon.info/Joss-Whedon-Civil-War-Comic-Book,21006.html

http://whedonesque.com/comments/12541

That there needed to be a "winner and a loser" in the Cap vs. Iron Man storyline in the final issue that ends with Cap being arrested / led into "Death of Captain America".

Actually in Whedon's own words/post from whedonesque:
    Hi and briefly: I walked into the infamous Marvel meeting, where they pitched me civil War. Cool enuf, sez I. Then they pitched the end they were currently going with, wherein the woman whose son is killed breaks up the fight between Cap and Iron Man, much like Joanne Dru in "Red River". Not cool enuf, sez I. If the whole thing rests on Cap and Tony's conflict, and they're gonna fight, I sez sez I, somebody's gotta win. I just pitched that Cap got past Tony's armor and started beating the poo out of him -- thus becoming exactly what Tony had called them all: a superpowered guy taking it out on a powerless human. Cap realizes this and lay down his arms. (But he wins. Eat that, Stark.) That is literally the tale. I said looking around at the destruction of Manhattan didn't have much resonance -- these guys destroy Manhattan all the time! It was the personal act of putting his fist into the face of his powerless one-time friend that would Make Cap feel like a bully, a monster, a Nazi and kiddies, I didn't say much else. (Except that a fight between titans broken up by the 'voice of reason' before it ends is a lame fight indeed.) I didn't know Civil War was gonna envelop the whole universe for a year. I didn't know the entire face of Marvel was changing, and though I heard pitches of what's to come, I don't know what stuck. I think I've been given too much credit for all this. Which is sweet, but I wanted to save you all endless speculation. Which I have done, and now back to work. -j.

Since Whedon is now a part of MCU braintrust, maybe they'll keep the same idea or give it a "team up against a baddie" ending.

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Zemo was part of Civil War. His Thunderbolts were commissioned by Iron Man to bring in villains to join the thunderbolts but also if necessary, to hunt down heroes. At the end of the war, Osborn took over and he turned the team into basically arresting any anti-registration heroes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I found his Runaways storyline rather lacking but maybe he would have done a movie version better

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Just a reminder that Batroc Ze Leapair was criminally underused in Cap 2. Here's hoping Zemo is actually used as a villain.

As for Whedon, he's great with character but he's not much of a visually engaging director. Ideally he'd write this stuff and they'd get someone with real cinematic flair to direct.

Adam of Nuchtern and Gamiel like this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't know about underused. I mean, Batroc is a mook. If anything, he was given more importance than usual. :p

BigAl6ft6 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

The MCU in general has been kind of flat when it comes to cinematography.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I'm just saying we could've been given a moustache twirl, is that so much to ask of a stereotypical French villain?

Branagh doing Thor was pretty fun, and I think GotG was very well-filmed. Favreau's Iron Man movies were pretty flat.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    hmmmm.[face_thinking]

I wonder if folks would have preferred the "Watchmen" approach to the Avengers than the Wheadon approach as depicted this trailer:

Six and Darth_Furio like this.
  12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

True, but I don't think we'll get the Thunderbolts. Rather, he'll probably be the cause of the conflict between Tony and Cap. Just like Nitro was the cause of the war in the comics.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Whedon did a lot of "I can't direct Avengers 2!" before the first one had even come out yet. I'll believe it when they announce a director. His comment about wanting to stay with Marvel in some capacity is interesting, maybe he'll at least write "Infinity War" which I would be very okay with.

14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Your point being that he's a mastermind because he's been in a cover? So have Demogoblin, Maggott and Bob, Agent of HYDRA.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I remember actually buying a comic book for 60 cents at my local convenience store. Didn't even keep them in bags and boards. I just stacked the comic books on my closet floor.

17. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I really don't know anything about the character Patsy Walker or Hellcat, but I do like Rachel Taylor. I did imagine her as another feline comic book character, Black Cat.

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Almost all of my knowledge of Hellcat comes from this image and all it's ridiculousness. There's not a single part of this panel that I don't find hilarious.
    [​IMG]

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanos, he who can take on the Avengers by himself, he who rose to godhood, flying a helicopter with his name on it.

Darth-Lando and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanoscopter confirmed!

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Latino Review is reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch is under "serious consideration" for the role of Thanoscopter.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    But is there a LEGO Thanoscopter?

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Or a LEGO Benedict Cumberbatch...