main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's all Greek to me.

Random Comments and Gamiel like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    πιπιλίζουν

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, I have a Greek co-worker and I mentioned to her the expression, "It's all Greek to me," and she replied, "You what we Greek say when we don't understand something?... 'It's all Chinese to me.'"

True story.

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ramza Edit: Not even in Chinese.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That sounds like a controversial script change right there.

Cassius. Did Cicero say any thing?
    Casca. Ay, he spoke Chinese.
    Cassius. Is that some kind of Serican dialect?

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it's kind of like taking this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Into this

[​IMG]

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    She's Greek though, not white. And going by the people auditioning for Elektra Marvel is going with someone not white looking.

I mean we already have Stick and Matt being super ninjas. Two white dudes. A Greek woman being awesome at ninjutsu doesn't seem that problematic when compared to those.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Nah, the Mandarin sucks, whereas Julius Caesar is a pretty good play.

Penguinator likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know what criterions you Yankees have for whiteness but I am rather certain that by european standards so do being ethically Greek makes you white.

10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I honestly don't know. I only know when the whole 'Santa Claus is white' thing was going around I was told in no uncertain terms that Turkish and Greek people ARE NOT white and to never refer to them as such.

And at any rate the positives of getting another female lead seem worth some slight racial insensitivity, especially when far more problematic characters like Stick and Daredevil have been used.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Actually Matt is not white, he is Irish.

:p Okej maybe a bit to old school racism joke but on a more serious note: Stick is white? I always thought of him as one of those hard-to-tell-what-ethnicity-he-belongs-to people.

12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Ha, you'd be surprised. After the yelling I got in the Santa Claus debate a few years back i only feel 100% safe calling English, German, and Dutch people white. :p

I always thought he was some old white dude myself, but I could be wrong. Know Terence Stamp played him in the Elektra movie.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Hell will freeze over first. Marvel wants everyone back and Disney too. At best, Marvel might be willing to approve the tv show or change the percentage they get from it. But no way will they hand over the rights for TV. Especially after Fox sued them for Mutant X. And they seem perfectly willing to let the FF be raked over the coals in their effort.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here's the thing that everyone either forgets or ignores, is that selling the movie rights to these characters (FF, X-Men, Spider-Man) back in the 1990s helped Marvel (which was just a publishing company; Marvel Studio did not exist) from going out of business. It was Fox's X-Men that brought back the genre back to life. I'm sure Marvel gets a piece of the action from Fox's movies.

I really can't blame Fox for wanting to hold onto the rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four, as there is cash to be milked from those cows. It's really Marvel's own fault in thinking their mass production of the same comic with different/variant covers would be a long term sustainable business model. It was comic's Beanie babies. Just imagine if Fox would have bought all the rights to the Marvel character like WB did with DC.

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    The success of Days of Future Past ended any chance of Marvel getting X-men back. Fox can continue making a lot of money on them, and thus afford Fantastic Four films that won't do as well but need to be made to keep the rights.

Marvel has no way to win. They'll have to come to terms eventually.

The only hope Marvel has is if Fox makes a movie about assassinating a world leader the same year an X-men movie is a major letdown and the assassination movie inspires hackers to release every one of Fox's secrets online and forces them to make a deal with Marvel to survive.
    And honestly I don't see that happening twice...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think this may been posted in here, and I couldn't watch because I was at work, but just in case...

Jedi Merkurian and tom like this.
  17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    You know I just realized... why didn't Thor take Loki's scepter back to Asgard? He took Loki and the cosmic cube, why did he leave the scepter behind when the whole beginning of Age of Ultron had Thor's search for it be a big deal?

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I'd agree if it had also included retiring Jackman as Wolverine and Stewart as Xavier etc. But it didn't. And now Jennifer Lawrence and Nicolas Hoult are indicating that they are out soon. Apocalypse is the make or break film. If that does well and McAvoy and Fassbender return, then they can milk a few more years of life out of this group before being forced to reboot. Wolverine 3 will draw modest numbers and Deadpool will likely do well enough for a sequel. And if this expansion into New Mutants works, then yes the future is bright for Fox's X-Men. "If"

Remember all the Sinister Six and Black Cat movie and Spider-Man 3 were all getting talked about as well before ASM2 bombed and Sony got hacked. I don't disagree that Fox will hold onto the X-Men rights as long as they can. But if Marvel continues to deny them the ability to make money off mechandising and squeeze them out of other properties all while making X-Men less and less popular while boosting Inhumans, they are slowly taking away Fox's gains. One should also remember the reason X-Men was so popular at the time. They had just come off a fairly popular 90s television show and a very successful comic run by Claremont. But even one bad film can kill a franchise if it's bad enough. And the one-two punch of Last Stand and Wolverine nearly did it. If Apocalypse bombs and Wolverine 3 and Gambit do as well, that could seriously impact things. And if New Mutants under-performs, then we'll see if Fox rethinks their strategy.

Fantastic Four is floundering. This is due to the fact that characters are NOT as popular mainstream as X-Men, Spidey and now the Avengers. Marvel withholding the merchandise and cancelling the book helps to keep it further in the dark. There is no television show to boost it like SHIELD does for Marvel's films. There's nothing but word of mouth and the trailer. And if this film bombs, and if any of the rumors about production problems were true, then Fox may be taking a rather large bath on this film and will have been burned by Fantastic Four three times. And this last one was all to hold onto the rights.

Regardless though, there is very, very little chance that Marvel gives up X-Men's tv rights. There is no incentive for Marvel to do so and not even the Fantastic Four would be enough to do that in my opinion. Marvel can afford to play the long game now. And now with Spidey, they really can do that for as long as they desire. With Spidey they gained access to his rogues gallery so people like Osborn can be the new big bad (think mutantless Dark Reign) and they have a great Kingpin they can further develop to the big screen if so desired. They also have the mystical areas to explore now with Dr. Strange and that's on top of characters beyond Thanos on the space side. Marvel can very easily work around the loss of FF and X-Men and relegate the FF to cameo status while pushing Inhumans hard. AND they can and have already done the one thing Fox can't: Put them on tv. I would not be surprised in the least if an Inhumans themed show goes into development at ABC within the next two years. But I will be shocked if X-Men goes forward without some major concession on Fox's part.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

SHIELD/Hydra snagged Loki's Scepter which was covered in the Age of Ultron prelude comic book. At the time, Thor did not know that the Scepter held the Mind Gem... Stone... whatever. IIRC, in Agents of SHEILD it was Coulson that tracked down the Scepter and initiated the Theta Protocol, which initiated the Avengers looking for Hyrda bases.

[​IMG]

later...

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    With Apocalypse's large cast I'm wondering if Fox is trying to see which characters are a hit and give them spinoffs to give them more movies

One thing I'm not confident with Marvel Studios is them getting along with Marvel TV. They are all in the same universe but lately the movies seem to admit that begrudgingly. I mean you have tons of people in Civil War but nobody from any of the tv series even for a small role.

I'm not confident Marvel Studios is going to utilize any of their tv characters on the big screen.

Yeah I know SHIELD snagged it and then Hydra got it. What I mean is why would Thor allow such a powerful weapon, even not knowing it was an infinity stone, to stay with SHIELD given the whole point of Avengers was showing that that kind of power can't be trusted with humans as they can't understand and guard it. You'd think Thor would've just taken it bad to Asgard's weapon vault.

I mean given how big of a deal it was for him in Age of Ultron... it just seems off he'd have just let SHIELD keep it.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, Thor may not be that bright. He did decided to leave the Scepter again in the hands of a humans for another few days in Age of Ultron. As Loki said to him, "How many times are you going to fall for that?"

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    from http://waitingforthet.tumblr.com/
    [​IMG]

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Speaking of...

Marvel's Merchandising Problem:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/30/between-the-panels-marvels-merchandising-problem?

Sad and annoying, tbh. Whoever wins that cold war, in the end, the fans lose.

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Yeah, that's the issue with Marvel's merchandising, the fact they don't want to promote Fox-owned film franchises. Certainly not the lack of Black Widow merchandising and her notable absence in products directly lifted from her action scenes.

Darth_Invidious and GenAntilles like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why can't they all just...get along?

Juliet316 likes this.