main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Muppets were/are always right.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As time goes on, more of the dark underbelly appears. For the fans (both long time and new) I hope things are eventually rectified. How their greed will pay and play out, who knows, but I'm glad I stopped collecting.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Undeniably, the problem goes deeper than just the Marvel/Fox feud. Even the article points out how staggering the apparent sexism or otherwise shunning of female characters (especially coming from princess -crazy Disney) in the merchandising is. As it's been pointed out here and elsewhere, most of the recent AOU merchandising I've seen is completely devoid of Black Widow and/or Scarlet Witch merchandise. Only the (literal) boy toys seem to matter.

So here we are, at a new junction where Marvel would like to pretend the FF and the X-Men don't exist. The X-Men, ffs! Marvel's flgship characters just a little over 15 years ago! And yeah, the female heroes? They don't really matter. Just window dressing for the heroes to romance or rescue in this new, snazzy MCU. And if you haven't appeared yet in a MCU movie lass, well, it sucks to be you.

Excelsior indeed.

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    What's worse is how many people I know who will say there is nothing wrong with that system. That not having merchandise for the female characters just makes sense as boys won't buy them and girls aren't into them. And that the lack of merchandise doesn't at all make the character seem less important. And that Black Widow becoming a love interest and get rescued was bound to happen as women can't be around men in movies and not become a love interest, the medium just doesn't allow it. Them being friends just isn't realistic.

I want to beat my head into a wall every time someone tries to explain to me that Black Widow has a great role in the MCU and is as important as Iron Man and Captain America and doesn't need a solo movie.

And then there's the whole Wasp situation in the Ant-Man movie...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    ???

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Janet is dead in the Ant-Man movie, instead we have her, and Hank's, daughter, who is fully grown up, as a character but she don't seems to have any powers.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'm guessing we won't have the Wasp/Ant-Man dynamic from the Ultimates, then? [face_mischief]

Although, the beatdown that Cap gave Giant-Man would make for an excellent action sequence in Civil War.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, even going to Tomorrowland they were advertising some Nintendo toys for something like Splatoon or something. They also sold special miniatures that apparently did something with the game: one girl, one boy, and one alien. HOW HARD IS THAT?!? Granted, we could use some POC as well, but still: one girl, one boy, one alien. Done and done.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's what we have Atlas for

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For a company that mainstreamed the whole rescue-the-Princess role for women in gaming (and broke it with Metroid), Nintendo is pretty ahead of the curve on having playable female characters (which now subsequently make the jump to Amiibo toys-. Nintendo had more playable women by themselves in their titles than all the other publishers' games combined at last year's E3.

Now, if only Nintendo would make enough of the damn Amiibo so one could find more of them on the shelves without having to lineup at Target 5 hours before they open on launch days... sigh...

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Who'd wait online overnight for anything? That's crazy! NERD! :p

Oh, wait...

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Celebration lines made for excellent training. These lines are nothing by comparison.

Unfortunately, even that training doesn't help when the stores only get 4 of certain characters and you're 7th in line...

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I only collect Legos.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Bearing in mind Lang will be fighting Yellowjacket this movie, I would think it likely that Hope(?) will wear a variation of the YJ suit next movie. If there is a next movie. And if Hope isn't fridged, I guess.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Then Dimensions will be your problem. ;)

Random Comments likes this.
  17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I will not deny that Widow and Scarlet Witch aren't getting as big a push as the big 4, but neither are the others that are not Cap, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor.

Breaking it down, there are several major retailers that have things: Hot Toys, Lego, Minimates, Hasbro 6inch, Hasbro 3 3/4, Hasbro 2.5 and plenty others.

Aside from the big 4, the Avenger who is getting the most merchandise thus far? Scarlet Witch: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=age of ultron scarlet witch

Not Hawkeye, not Vision, and not Quicksilver. In fact, fairly certain Scarlet Witch is tied with Ultron in the amount of toys available. Widow isn't doing too terribly either: She has the Hot Toys figure, the 6inch (coming in Amazon exclusive set with Thor, Hawkeye and Banner), the 3.5 Toys R Us 2 pack and lego as well. What everyone is up and arms about is she doesn't have a 2.5 figure yet and that they put Cap on the motorcycle for the jet pack-in. But honestly, that's likely because Hasbro is cheap not sexist (this time anyway). They already made the Cap on motorcycle and proceeded to use it twice rather than make a new one with Widow. Meanwhile, Quicksilver has next to nothing (No Hot Toys, no 6 inch, no 3 3/4, a rumored but not shown 2.5 only) and I think we can all speculate why that might be.

The only Quicksilver thing I've heard of is one based on his comic look and then the lego and minimates. Now part of all that might be that Quicksilver is far from the most exciting character. And the 3 3/4 figures have exactly 5 points of movement so it would be a bit hard to pose him running. But it still seems alarming at how little is out there for Quicksilver right now. If you aren't seeing Scarlet Witch merchandise, it is likely because someone else already bought it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This needs to be a shot for shot thing (pun intended) that happens in the Civil War movie. Nobody announced as Punisher yet, though, so probably not. Dammit! :(

I'm excited for Civil War as a flick but I've come to terms it's probably just going to be a broad strokes thematic adaptation of the Civil War book. But even "Winter Solider" cribbed a direct bit or two from the original arc (Winter Solider catching Cap's shield, their final showdown is remarkably similar to the Winter Solider book). Hopefully there will be some direct bits from the CW comic that make it.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I wouldn't put much faith in a sequel happening. With all the movies they have I don't see Ant-Man getting picked for expansion over everything else. It'll probably be a Hulk situation. Ant-Man will be in teamup movies but the rest of the characters will never show up again. So if Wasp isn't in this movie I doubt she'll show up. Not to mention Evangeline Lilly has mostly given up acting and any sequel would be post 2018, doubt she'd return that far out.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It almost certainly depends on the box office performance- if it surprises folks and breaks out, an AM2 is very likely going to be in Phase 4. If it performs below the Thor films, then this'll probably be a one-and-done-see-ya-in-Avengers scenario.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What if it just flops horribly?

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Then Ant-Man will continue to be in Avengers movies. There just won't be any Wasp ever.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Been rewatching most of the Phase 1 and Phase 2 movies before / after Age of Ultron and still amazed at how underrated The First Avenger was.

Some notes:eek:f amusement:

1) At the very end of the credits, right before going back into Cap's theme leading into the end-credits scene / The Avengers preview, there's a nifty little bit of The Avengers music which no one would have picked up on back then, but given Whedon's involvement in a final polish of The First Avenger it's a nice little nod.

2) Before the movie came out and rumors of a scene appeared: "A musical number?!? In a Captain America movie?!? This is going to be the worst thing since Greedo shooting first!!!!!"

After the movie came out: "That musical number was awesome! Almost the best scene in the film!!!!!!"

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002

I still legit think that Star Spangled Man deserved an Oscar nod. Not necessarily a win but at least a nomination.

25. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Or they could play it like Hawkeye in the Avengers movies.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.