main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Truly a great send off to one of the founding Avengers, the first female Avenger, the one to name the Avengers, and the one to name Vision. It was truly handled with care and respect to that character's enormous contributions to marvel history.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Legacy characters still count, yo. the MCU just sorta made Wasp a legacy character the same way Tony and Banner made Ultron and Hank didn't. Things change in adaptation.

3. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Exactly. Plus I suspect we'll see more of Janet herself in the next film, and maybe one day get a period 60s film of her own/with Hank Pym as SHIELD agents.

4. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    If they existed in the comics sure. If they want to make Bucky Cap fine, etc... but Hope van Dyne's only apperance has been as a supervillain in an alternate universe.
    Not to mention they made Hope a carbon copy of Janet, legacy characters tend not to be carbon copies of the hero they are replacing, there's usually some difference to make the change... a change. I mean all the movie had to do was change Janet to Maria Pym and Hope to janet and it'd be fine. The only difference then is which Ant-Man she's in a relationship with.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002

Ultron California [face_laugh]

GenAntilles likes this.
  6. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    If Hope is the same character as Janet, where's the problem? Her first name is different, but apart from that she's the same person. We'll see her kick ass in the sequel.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Wasp & Ant-Man are probably going to be Avengers in time for Infinity War, I am pretty okay that those characters are going to be Avengers and I don't particularly mind which individual is behind the mask. I mean, it's not as if Wasp has been a Skrull the entire time, has she? (Wait, she might, if Marvel ever gets FF rights back)

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Marvel has rights to the Skrulls, just not Super-Skrull.
    As for who is behind the mask, it is kind of an important issue. I mean people wouldn't be throwing a fit about Lex Luthor being Lex Luthor Jr. if identities weren't important.

Not to mention I'm sure the comics will want to fall in line with the movies and off janet and put Hope in just so movie people who start reading the comics aren't confused...:rolleyes:

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I thought Marvel didn't have the rights to the Skrulls, which why we got the Chitauri. Unless, the Chitauri are actually Skrulls. [face_thinking] Damn shape-shifters.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Want me to give you hope (pun intended!)?

They never showed Janet's face. Classic technique indicating "We're planning on exploring this in the next installment(s) and we're going to cast a major named actress!"

I would give anything for it to be Catherine Zeta-Jones, if only because it'd mean she and Douglas are back together.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Catherine Zeta-Jones could play a White Angelo Saxon Protestant. Yeah, thumbs up on that idea.

dp4m likes this.
  12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Nope it's because with the mind control aspect they didn't want to add shape-shifting as well as it would confuse the audience as to who was who.

But they have rights to the Skrull

Hope is forsaken in these lands (pun intended):p

Yeah it's about 90% confirmed Janet will be cast and rescued from the microverse. They wouldn't go through all the set up of not showing her and leaving Hank with the knowledge she could be rescued and not follow up on it.
    Only issue is if she gets back and lets Hope take her role and doesn't continue with her own. Would feel like, Batman retiring in TDK/TDKR and Black Widow suddenly wanting to as well.

Well Micahel Douglas would agree with you as she was his first choice when asked as well. He said he thought it'd be a fun project for them to do. And i would be 100% okay with Catherine Zeta-Jones in the Wasp suit.

I'm honestly ashamed it took me 14 minutes to get that.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Yeah the Chitarui are the "Ultimate" Skrulls (well, they were in the first volume of Ultimates but that probably changed in the Ultimate line. Anyway it's literally one line in The Ultimates where the Chitari dude says "Some people call us Skrulls") but I think the full-on Skrulls (and super-skrull) are still FF properties. (Mostly, I'd wager Marvel wants the FF back for space stuff)

anyway, they do and don't own the skrulls but mostly don't

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/253e4v/clearing_up_the_skrulls_film_rights/

Kevin Feige in 2009.
    "Will the Skrulls be the villain in The Avengers?’ I asked.
    Feige gave me one of those looks he’s good at giving and just said, ‘We do own them.’
    More digging turned up the fact that Marvel Studios owns the Skrull race, while Fox own the Super Skrull.
    Kevin Feige in 2012, right at the release of The Avengers.
    Josh: And the Skrulls are currently occupied outside of the Marvel Studios universe, correct?
    Feige: Yes, Skrulls have a big connection to Fantastic Four. So there are some contractual limitations about who can do what when it comes to Skrulls. Though that is not why we didn’t do Skrulls. There is already enough going on in this movie.
    James Gunn, February 2014.
    "Marvel only partially owns Skrulls, and also for the record, we don't own the Badoon either. So people were asking why we have the Sakaaran in the film, we don't own the Badoon."

Gotta admit, the Alexander Luthor Jr. thing also doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's still Lex Luthor (Yeah, Alex, but everyone is gonna call him Lex), evil billionaire who runs LexCorp, wants to destroy Superman. Lex always had parental issues anyway in pretty much every medium (and the Fortune article mentioned his father's death, which also in various mediums Lex killed the bejesus outta his old man). Skewing younger I think works too, Jessie Esienberg can play a pretentious jerkwad reallll well. As for the hair, I guaran-damn-tee Lex will be bald by the time the credits for that movie roll.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm just trying to imagine being told a year ago, let alone back when the MCU began 7 years ago, that Marvel would open a film on a 4th of July weekend- and that that movie would be an Ant-Man film. There's no way I'd ever believe you.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are Ant Man and Captain Marvel expected to be in Infinity War?

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, much like Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man will most likely be introduced before in the MCU in some other film before their solo film. Ant-Man and Wasp solo film may have a strong tie-in to the Infinity War. Perhaps they have to shrink down to the microverse (or whatever it was called in Ant-Man) to get Janet and/or find another Infinity Stone to take down Thanos.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Jeez, three in 2017. And they're doing that nearly back to back with a film in May and another in July. And Guardians 2 is going to be massive.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    And that does not include Fox's Marvel properties or WB/DC comic flicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Very handy li'l guide there, Prime! If dazzling in its chock-full-of-awesome-ness. [face_hypnotized]

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Taken with an extreme grain of salt (as in "overheard in bars second hand at NYCC"), Bleeding Cool is claiming the Inhumans movie has been scrapped as a result of the supposed rift between the powers that be in control of Marvel TV & Film, following Feige's restructuring coup earlier this year.

They claim it was scrapped because it was more a request of the TV side of things with AOS investing in the concept.

Personally, I don't think that tracks for a number of reasons:

-First, on a corporate level everyone still reports to Disney, who are not going to sacrifice corporate synergy when they have a self-sustaining, internal marketing machine between their shows, their network and their films.

Second, creatively, AOS has pretty intentionally steered clear of the primary Inhumans/royal family so there's not exactly much issue in terms of coordination and prep.

Third, Marvel in general really wants Inhumans to be the "their" mutants and that'll never truly payoff without a film- and I doubt they'd abort those intentions without the impossibility of regaining the X rights.

Lastly, if they were going to can it, they'd have done so with the schedule adjustment announcement or at least indicated it had been pushed back into one of those untitled slots.

But, the rumor is out there, so take it for what it is.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

I've seen a few dozen articles this morning denying the rumor and 100% confirming the movie is still on.

Admittedly I'd still be a little suspicious given there has been ZERO news on anything with that film. But feel it's more likely it's still on. Can't see AoS having the budget for the royal family and the special effects they'd need. Not to mention it's AGENTS OF SHIELD, at best the royal family could be recurring guest stars. Would be like making the X-men recurring guest stars in Daredevil, they need their own thing.

Though the fact a riff between the tv and movie people makes a rumor like this so believable is a problem. Feige and Loeb have to start talking and working together.
    Honestly if an intern decides to orchestrate an Oswald Cobblepot rise to power and get rid of them both i wouldn't complain

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good to hear denials there- it sounded like unlikely speculation from people trying to play up whatever supposed rift may or may not exist between the division heads just to sell a more clickbait-like story. I mean, we literally had Feige talking about the inevitability of TV crossovers into the films the other day, so the "rift" theory just doesn't track the way people are trying to sell it.

As to why we haven't heard anything yet- I think that's simply due to the film being four years away and last in line for the Phase. We've barely heard anything about Captain Marvel and that film is right before it as far as solo films go- hell we've barely heard anything about Infinity War outside of the directors and setup from the previous films... and even that is mostly due to the first part coming out a year earlier with them being filmed at the same time.

And, with it being last (and, thus, post-IW), it makes sense that they're not going to talk too much about it.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    July 10, 2020: Bets on it being held for the Fantastic Four?

May seems like a sequel placeholder. But July is normally a newer property. And 2020 is probably the soonest Marvel could squeeze the FF in if Fox gives/sells the rights back.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They won't do FF in the first year of a new Phase- I'd expect 2/3 to be sequels (4 years since Strange, 3 years since Guardians & Spidey, 2 years since Panther) and one to be a new character/team/solo film.

If FF comes home, they're going to give it a long time to breathe (especially if Fox is still making a sequel) and slide it in mid-Phase where it's not kicking things off or anchoring the end.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.