main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually admire the expediency that Ultron decides to destroy the world. A) we don't have to sit through numerous AI Robot Learning About Humanity "What is dog, master?" etc. etc. B) it makes him way more evil since he decides humanity's fate in that one very trippy conversation with Jarvis. He's a superintelligent AI, it's gonna take that long! Or, as to how Kyle Reese phrased it "It decided our fate in a micro-second."

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think him existing as intended before realizing things would have made him more effective- really pay off the "there are no strings on me" angle.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Agreed. I likewise picked up on a real Skynet tone coming from Ultron. All he had to do was take one glance at society, and decide we weren't worth it. Unlike Skynet, however, Ultron wanted to take us out in style.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

True, it would have paid that off but, to take the MCU long view and specifically Iron Man's arc as a whole, this is the time one of his gadgets cut it's own strings as opposed to having someone co-opt it for evil. It looked at Daddy and decided to kill him. Tony' line of "We're mad scientists. We're monsters, buddy, we gotta own it" I think is really fun and Tony saying "Okay, I created this so I'm going to take it out with the same mad scientist method"

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True but even that would have been helped by a bit more of a change in Ultron- he's instantly evil and never had strings controlling him. Even having Tony aware of him b fire going evil would have enhanced the MCU long view you mention.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean, really, when you think about it, it makes sense

[​IMG]

(I know that's been posted before, but it really is the crux of the argument against "Ultron was rushed into being evil")

Alpha-Red, BigAl6ft6, Gamiel and 4 others like this.
  7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

I thought Ultron claimed humanity had strings controlling it. That the Avengers and people like them were holding humanity back and controlling them and making them stagnate. Ultron being created and immediately deciding to destroy humanity makes sense as he's an AI, having it be a long process would've made him seem to human.

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    So Jeph Loeb's (head of TV or something at Marvel, writer of awful comics) gone on the record to say they are apparently still doing Iron Fist, and they're aware of the commentary and rumours that have been circulating for a while.

I do like the Punisher, and I think it'd be great, but I think Iron Fist has the potential to be a bit of an action-packed breather series compared to grim 'n' gritty DD and JJ.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Some days, I feel tempted to do what he did. But then remember that I'm unmotivated and go watch tv.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So my angsty cries of more Bucky may have finally been heard with Civil War. I'll have to wait at least a week or three to see it (school), but dang that trailer reminds me why I still geeky enjoy Bucky and Cap in the movies - brings back all the happy memories of reading Brubaker's run years ago. And Falcon's new suit- YAY!

Yeah, I'm more excited for this than Star Wars. So TFA has a huge hurdle to cross now.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Technically Ultron didn't want to DESTROY humanity right away. He wanted to force an evolution by triggering an extinction level event. Basically Darwinism taken to it's most horrifying extreme. Sort of the classic "put them in the worst situation possible, and they either rise to the occasion or die." And he points to the numerous times that this has happened throughout Earth's history as proof that it can work. It also might be one of the reasons why he latched onto The Twins so fast, they're living "proof" that his plan can work (at least in his warped mind).

He doesn't decide to just flat-out destroy humanity until after they turn on him during the Johannesburg scene.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    That long moment of "wait, Diggy's an old lady?! Why is (s)he posting this?" before I finaLee made the connection.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

[face_laugh] Hulk for the win.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

Especially whoever wrote "decides to humanity must be destroyed".

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    "of their" is also poor.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's meta!

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

((( Crashes Cymbals )))

Oh so heavy metal in Ultron's case.

(Buggers off before virtual tomatoes are lobbed my way.)

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    been posted before, still awesome:

[​IMG]

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    See now, if you were Ultron, you could watch all of TV in two minutes and then get on with destroying the world.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I've always kind of wanted those Marvel "Phase" boxsets but I be too anxious to not get the blu rays so I get them instead. But, if you're a person who waits for them, the Phase 2 boxset comes with a copy of the "Sokovia Accords!" so you can grab it and pretend to be the Marvel superheroes begrudgingly singing away their freedom.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...kovia-accords-included-in-mcu-phase-2-box-set

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wish they'd eventually sell the bonus disc content separately for those of us who bought the single releases. I get its incentive for people to buy the set but surely they could rerelease the extra deleted scenes fir everyone else after the next phase finishes?

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Dang the Winter Soldier Kiev file: That's all I want. Not interested in owning any other film from the set besides that. If it was $125 I'd almost consider it, but it looks like it'll be very close to $200 on Amazon after tax and all. I'll have to wait for the Tumblr Bucky fan girls to post those images and the file itself.

And the Sokovia Accord is only the form itself, not the velobound accord Cap is handed in the Civil War teaser.

25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    “In accordance with the document at hand, I hereby certify that the below mentioned participants, peoples and individuals, shall no longer operate freely or unregulated, but instead operate under the rules, ordinances and governances of the afore mentioned United Nations panel, acting only when and if the panel deems it appropriate and/or necessary. -Sokovia Accords”

No wonder Cap won't play ball. I doubt the UN would ever allow the Avengers to do... well... anything.