main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think it was her fault, but the story gave Loki too much scene.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Darcy I always enjoyed. Pormtan as Jane had highs and lows, there were great moments and then a lot of 'eh' moments.

That said it is rather annoying Betty Ross is gone and now Jane is gone too.

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nah, overall Padme is very boring and useless in the two movies.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Is "Natalie" one syllable to long for you?

5. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    One of the problems the Thor movies have had I think is that there's just too many side characters around, and as a result most of them are really underdeveloped. Not a good sign that we've gotten two movies now and still only barely know Sif and the Warriors Three.

6. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Sadly that's the price of having Loki as a good villain. You either have a well developed hero and secondary cast and weak villain... or a developed hero and developed villain. Marvel doesn't know how to do all three.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So is the Mandarin's Ten Ring working with HYDRA?

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Doubtful since Hydra is gone as of "Civil War" and "The Singularity".

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Dang, so Hydra is really most sincerely dead? No more Zola... :( (I mean, I figured no more Zola in CATWS but...)

Methinks, I better see Civil War this week.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unlikely- all we know is that, as of Ant-Man, a Ten Rings member was working for/with the Hydra agents Cross was selling to.

We know ex-Hydra are still out there (and may form a new head eventually- it's what they do) but the organization is pretty well crippled following the destruction of the Whitehall, Strucker, Ward & Malick factions.

The Ten Rings member may be from Killian's fake group (now seeking employment elsewhere) or the real-deal (Mandarin keeping tabs on things). No way to tell since we only have a tattoo to go off of.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, Hydra could come back in AOS, but I think for the time being, it's going to be given a rest.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Umm. Hello. Do any of you read comics? It's Hydra. We never kill Hydra. Just when it seems that they've finally been destroyed, they inexplicably come back. Kind of a "cut off one head, and two more will take it's place" sort of thing.

Now, is there time and need and ability in the cinematic universe to bring Hydra back? Probably not. But it's not dead. Hydra never dies.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I straight up love the first Thor movie and I think the Earth characters are neatly integrated into the plot and distinctly pay off. I dig the 2nd Thor movie but that cruises by more of just seeing Thor do Thor stuff and Loki do Loki stuff and it certainly isn't as precisely put together as the first flick. But Hemdal tearing down a spaceship all by himself? Can't hate. Darcy is more superfluous than even in the first movie however she still gets in "Mew Mew!" which may be one of my favourite gags in the MCU.

we need a Trevor Slattery, Darcy and Foggy Nelson one-shot for no random reason.

Basically, if no Jane Foster even less reason for no Kat Dennings' Darcy, which is a damn shame. If any character should be needlessly shoehorned into a movie, I would be okay with that being Darcy.

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, love Darcy. If she was just in Asgard with no explanation and with Hulk and Thor the whole movie I wouldn't mind

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    D'Onofrio endorses the idea of appearing in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/vi...cebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=IW_post

But he's got no news on that front. Kingpin is a Spider-Man villain, dangnabit, and while the character at this time may not be in a position to menace Spidey, but he's probably the easiest of the TV characters to slot into a movie without having to barely acknowledge his TV backstory. He just enters the movie as the Kingpin of crime and has some high powered baddie assistants.

....however, to be fair, if they went Kingpin in a Spider-Man movie, it'd be hard to NOT have Matt / Daredevil show up at some point.

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I'd love it if they adapted the multipart gang war story from the Ultimate Spider-Man comic series. In those comics, Spidey's interactions with Kingpin were some of the best hero/villain stuff around.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Definitely, great way to get a gaggle of baddies in there. I would also love Kingpin's rant about "the chump" from the final issue of Back in Black to somehow be worked in there too, not line by line cuz it involves the ID reveal but definitely the spirit of it. Just reading it I can practically hear D'Onofrio delivering it, dripping every line.

[​IMG]

And I just love the setup that Spidey goes to smack Kingpin around in prison and Fisk is in his full on Kingpin gear, just waiting for it.

19. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe. I haven't seen Daredevil, so I don't know what the MCU Kingpin sounds like (I know the actor who plays him was Vic Hoskins in Jurassic World, but he doesn't sound as intimidating as I'd think the Kingpin should be). I've always "heard" Roscoe Lee Brown when I read Kingpin, thanks to a few clips I've seen of the '90s Spider-Man cartoon.

The page you showed could work, but I'm not sure if it would match the version of the Spider-Man the MCU is going for (but then I absolutely hate the "One More Day" retcon and everything that lead up to it and spawned from it, so I'm not a fair judge of any Spider-Man comic made in recent memory).

Kingpin would be a cool villain. Besides him, the characters I most want to see in either Spider-Man: Homecoming or future movies in the series are Mysterio as a villain and Mary Jane Watson (pref. an adaptation of her Ultimate counterpart). Somewhere along the line, having a movie with Spider-Man framed by an imposter like Chameleon (a little like in Ultimate Spider-Man #29 - 32 -- collected in the fifth trade paperback Public Scrutiny) could be a cool alternative to the typical "superhero stops the villain from destroying the city/world" that is often used.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    What are you waiting for? DD and Jessica Jones made for some great TV. Vince Donofrio has provided one very interesting take in the character: a somewhat damaged man-child, but an extremely dangerous one at that. Trust me, when this Kingpin gets pissed off, heads don't roll. They literally asplode! If Tom Holland tried the fatman joke taunting routine on him, enhanced proportional spider strength notwithstanding, things will not end well for him.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Maybe have Kingpin being behind Michael Keaton's character (especially if he plays Vulture)? That way he would be in it, but wouldn't confront Spider-Man directly...yet.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I love the idea of Kingpin being around in Homecoming. More and more I get the feeling that the TV projects will never be incorporated or otherwise validated into the larger MCU. So a surprise appearance by D'onofrio's Kingpin, out of Ryker's and back in the game, would be oh so sweet.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do people think we are going to see two Avenger teams now? One for Cap and one for Iron-Man, or is Cap's team going to have a another name? Iron-Man's Avengers are down to three-four members, they need to be at least five to be a real Avengers team, who do people think will join Tony to make it numerically complete?

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Given that the MCU movies need to be watchable without seeing the TV shows, I'd be a little surprised if Kingpin appears in the movie, given that so far, the TV shows are sligthly removed from the events of the films (although there are touches, like the Ant-Man following up on the fact that HYDRA survived the events of Winter Soldier and Bucky Barnes' programming clearly being a variation of the HYDRA brainwashing from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.). But you never know.

Are the Avengers even active now? Iron Man was kind of unofficially retired (he only re-joined the Avengers to support the Sokovia Accord) and there's no indication if his presence at the Avengers' base was long-term or not (he refuses to help Ross at the end when Team Cap escapes the Raft). War Machine's injuries may prevent him from future service, leaving the Vision, who looked depressed mostly. Iron Man's only other team members (Black Panther and Spider-Man) were temporary recruits, since Black Panther only wanted a crack at the Winter Solider and Spider-Man was only back up for the airport fight. All the other members are now fugitives on the run.

Given Cap's promise to be there if needed at the end, my theory is that the Avengers are disassembled and are probably going to stay that way until the Infinity War movies forcers everyone to reassemble against Thanos.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I would wager in Not Titled Infinity War Part 1, Tony's team / roster would take up the most of it, which is basically just Tony and Vision (and a cybernetically enhanced war machine) add in Spider-Man (that's probably why Stark is in Homecomming, Spidey probably gets his Avengers card at the end), Doctor Strange & Captain Marvel (and, hey, maybe Black Panther as long as BP keeps the whole Bucky thing under wraps). Then that roster gets whuped by Thanos and THEN Stark uses the burner phone to call in Cap's team for the third act.

I know it seems more unlikely as it goes on, I just would hope that Kingpin is probably the easiest to slide over for a movie or two because A) he's a heavy hitter and big Spider-Man baddie B) as complex as the character is, for a movie you really don't need to elaborate much, if anything, on his Netflix show backstory. He's the Kingpin of crime and Spidey is a thorn in his side, go nuts!