main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right, that's what I meant. The last major role that he had in Peter's life was back during "The Name Of The Rose" in 1992.

It started before then during the Elektra storyline a few years before then. It just became more personal between them when that happened.

Unless we have more solo films, it won't affect the upcoming Avengers films.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    GEEEZZZZ! That Captain America news should have a spoiler tag. I've been avoiding the comics thread, where that news belongs, so I wouldn't be spoiled.

The comic book medium doesn't get the same respect as other mediums when it comes to spoilers.

Darth-Lando and cubman987 like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've added spoiler tags to those posts but, yeah, folks, please use spoiler tags for recent comics events- especially if the comic came out TODAY.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ah sorry, it was in a news article so I thought it had been out for a while.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, when a comics or novel event manages to be shocking enough to penetrate out of the geekosphere and into the mainstream news (deaths of Chewie, Cap, now this), it tends to instant and without spoiler warnings, sadly.

6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Part of me thinks that could be a genius twist to see play out in the MCU. Another part of me thinks that the movies taking that route would completely ruin his character though.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's also the question of where it could happen, given that Cap operated on a more compressed timeline in the movies than in the comics, so it'd be much more difficult to find an opportunity for him to be recruited.

I mean, it couldn't be Skull (unless he returned in the shadiws and worked with Rogers before Avengers) and I don't see Pierce having the chance either. And there's no way they'd leave that huge an impact on Cap's character to a TV character like Ward (though it would be amazing if only the TV audience was aware of the Hydra angle so every scene with Cap in the movies could play both ways).

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for the Kingpin of it all, I think the major point is: He's a very important baddie to multiple characters in the Marvel U, admittedly his biggest stuff comes down the pike in Daredevil (even though he originally appeared in Spider-Man). But I think it'd be kind of needlessly limiting if the only time they use him in the MCU is just for Daredevil / maybe Defenders. He has many different criminal interests that put him into contrast with a lot of heroes. Especially Spider-Man! And he'd totally work in the movies without having to hamper it with the backstory of the Netflix shows and any chance for more D'Onofrio Kingpin is a good thing. If "It's all connected" is the buzzword for the MCU, then let's start making those connections even deeper. And Kingpin is just the character to do it as opposed to how much baggage it would take to bring in somebody from, say, Agents of SHIELD.

9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I predict it won't affect the movies. Captain America: The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier not only prove that MCU Steve Rogers isn't HYDRA agent, but that it's impossible for him to be one. Also, HYDRA is shifting to the background now and is biggest on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., so what'd be the point?

Also, unlike comics, movie series aren't designed to run forever, so they don't need to resort to cheap gimmicks (like Captain America being HYDRA, or Wolverine dying, or Spider-Man stabbing his wife in the back and becoming a cheap Iron Man ripoff) "to keep things fresh," to "try something new," or whatever other excuse they expect us to swallow to justify it. Bet you dollars to doughnuts that years from now, it'll all be forgotten, retconned, things'll get back to normal, and geeks will be laughing and wondering why this gimmick was even seriously considered, much less committed to print with the idea that people would buy it.

Finally, even if the "real" Captain America is proven to be HYDRA and Marvel refuses to back down, that is not what default version is, the one that has seeped into pop culture, the one that'll outlive everything else (just like the Iron Man Peter Parker isn't going be overwriting the classic version anytime soon, because the latter is what everyone knows and expects to see).

(Incidentally, it's crap like this that keeps me away from comics, except Peter Parker-era Ultimate Spider-Man, the occasional Star Wars, and random other Spidey stuff that wasn't affected by "One More Day": I want to read about the characters I've seen on-screen, the ones that I'm a fan of, not distorted funhouse mirror versions that got nothing to do with the basic premise and principle that made these characters in the first place.)

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think you'll see some shade of it eventually, depending on how the storyline is ultimately perceived down the road.

However, I don't think a comparison to the Iron Spider is an accurate one- an alternate (cool looking) suit for Spidey following a collaboration with Stark is something that could easily appear in a film (and setup the Scarlett Spiders for the MCU). I mean, we got a freaking suitcase armor. Iron Spider is cake compared to that.

But I don't think the film storyline allows it fully- however playing it as a deep cover plot for a single film might work if handled properly or, at the very least, have Steve accused of it even if movie-Steve isn't would give Cap another reason to go in the run.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeeeeaaaahhhh . . . whoever came up with that can go **** themselves. I'm way more comfortable with Cap dying in the comics than with that bull****.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    and next....

Black Panther is secretly a Grand Wizard in the KKK.

13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013

[​IMG]

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Yeah. it's gimmicks like this (come off it Brevoort, it IS a gimmick) that made me drop comics like the bad habit they were ages ago. There are just concepts that strain suspension of disbelief to the breaking point and this one just shatters it at max ludicrous speed.

15. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    comics y'all

I mean **** it they bring people back from the dead all the time but yeah **** this particular twist designed to get you to read more of the title, right? This is what breaks it.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The general prediction is
    that one of Cap's enemies had used something like the Cosmic Cube to alter history so that Steve is a Hydra agent.

It's inane stuff like this that keeps me from going back to Marvel.

17. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    I have a feeling the whole Cap is a HYDRA Agent is some sort of trick.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Devastated by the news, Jean Grey just died again. Her sixteenth funeral is this weekend.

19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Did he forget to wash himself after weekly cross burning? (this may need you to read the spoiler to understand the context)

Gamiel likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Haven't they learned? If they wait till the weekend she'll already have returned, died, and returned again before they even get to the weekend.

21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Re: Cap spoiler. :rolleyes: For me, this proves the house of Ideas has run of out of ideas. While I have been pining for Ed Brubaker to come back to fix Bucky and Cap, after reading that spoiler I am now very relieved I've all but stopped buying Marvel comics.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I just can't wait to see Coulson's reaction to the Cap spoiler...

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't think anyone should tell Coulson. Look at him, he's just so happy.

[​IMG]

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    About the Cap spoiler

"This is really just the tip of the iceberg in a larger story," said Tom Brevoort, executive editor of Marvel Comics told CNNMoney. "The most basic reason for doing this is to see if you're paying attention and make readers long for the next issue."
    The twist had been in development since late 2014 and according to Brevoort is the actual Steve Rogers.
    "It's not a Steve from the universe next door, it's not a clone, it's not a robot, it's not mind control," Brevoort said.
    "This is a bigger story than it seems," Brevoort said. "Hopefully we've got this figured out. If not, you're talking to me on the day I broke Captain America."

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    "The Day I Broke Captain America"

Hm, looks like they're already got the title for his next arc. :p