main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I don't think I've seen anything with David Arnold's music in it.

I don't think that Giacchino wrote Star Trek-ey music (of course the reboot movies were Trek in name only...), but as music itself I liked the score. I do like the old TOS theme (although it is the definition of cheese), so for me, the reboot version of that piece as a serious orchestral arrangement was one of the series only good points in my opinion.

The only thing I recall about the GOTG soundtrack were the pop songs, but the rest of the score didn't stick out as bad either.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The entire Independence Day score is excellent beginning to end. Lots of themes and motifs that keep you humming them afterwards. I was surprised how even some people I knew who normally didn't buy film score CD's had ID4's. I like to think that, if there was a global anthem for Earth, the music that plays during the end credits would be it, hehe.

Stargate has some classic tracks (several of which were repurposed into common trailer music for other films). Wing Commander's theme is fantastic (the rest of the score is by someone else so basically just stick to the theme and avoid the movie in general).

GOTG's score did get overshadowed by the pop music soundtrack but tracks like The Ballad of the Nova Corps and Black Tears are great.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The main theme was pretty good too. The MCU has been a bit of a mixed bag with the soundtracks from film to film, but GOTG definitely has one of the better ones IMO.

4. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Which track is the main theme? "Hooked on a Feeling" seems to have become the theme for the movie somehow.

I also liked the music they used when the Guardians start taking hands when they have the Infinity Stone at the end.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That track is called Black Tears- it's a combination of what I believe is the main theme being referred to by True Sith (a "cleaner version" plays during the escape from the Kyln) and the synth music rhythm of the infinity orb theme (which plays earlier in the film during The Collector track) and a dash of Ronin's Theme.

True Sith likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The official synopsis for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and an updated plot for Doctor Strange have been released.

Guardian of the Galaxy 2 synopsis:
    Set to the backdrop of ‘Awesome Mixtape #2,’ Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 continues the team’s adventures as they traverse the outer reaches of the cosmos. The Guardians must fight to keep their newfound family together as they unravel the mysteries of Peter Quill’s true parentage. Old foes become new allies and fan-favorite characters from the classic comics will come to our heroes’ aid as the Marvel cinematic universe continues to expand.​

Doctor Strange synopsis:
    Marvel’s Doctor Strange follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City’s Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilising a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel cinematic universe.​

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Big long Bob Iger interview and, god bless them, the interviewer managed to get in a question about the Marvel movie split from Ike Pelmutter, even if Iger was a bit ... brief on the subject. Although read between the lines in the last sentence and you can see Ike being a tad wacky as people have said he is.

How's your relationship with Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter these days?
    My relationship with Ike is good.
    But you allowed Marvel's Kevin Feige to move from under Ike to under film chief Alan Horn. That didn't rankle Ike?
    Sure it did.
    Do you see Ike being a major player at this company for a while?
    What does a major player mean?
    Major stockholder. Influencer.
    I have no idea what he does with his stock. He's made a lot of money on the Marvel transaction, and he's made a lot of money on Disney stock since he took it as part of the transaction and bought more since then. And he gets a big dividend. I'm actually not in his head in that regard, so I don't know and he doesn't in any way discuss it with me. He likes to call me at seven in the morning. Sometimes I'll say, "Ike, I've just pushed the button on the coffee maker and I haven't had my first cup yet, so I need 10 minutes."

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm surprised Bob Iger would even answer the phone at 7am knowing Ike is on the other end.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In Ike's defense, he would have reason to be upset since he went through a lot of trouble to help save Marvel and was probably given reassurances that something like this wouldn't happen. And then it did. But on the flip side, his stinginess with the almighty dollar was becoming problematic. It almost kept Downey from doing more films, which would have really hurt Marvel's long term game. "Civil War" benefited from having a larger presence and "Homecoming" can only benefit as well. "Infinity War" is about to have a huge cast of characters which might have been limited due to money concerns. And it might be part of what's kept a Black Widow film from happening.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    An upset Ike would be all the more reason not to take his call at 7am before coffee.

For what I've come to understand, Ike is a big reason why Marvel and Fox did not get along. Perhaps removing Ike from the MCU proper will help mend the relationship between Fox and Marvel.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    While I was covering the RZA Shaw Brothers Double Feature event from Saturday, RZA dropped the mic and said he'll be working for Marvel some time soon. Obviously, he couldn't say more but in the midst of sharing his uber geek for Shaw Brothers films, it was neat to hear that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't know which thread to put this in. So it's going here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That Spider-man - Deadpool series as a whole has been a lot of fun but this issue in particular stood out.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The only entities that can stop SG are TOAA, Pre retcon Beyonder WITH Molecule Man, Chuck Norris, Franklin Richards and MAYBE Superman Prime (one million).

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    LOL now that's meta.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Is that cacon?

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I'd add the Q Continuum to that mix as those who could beat her without any problems whatsoever, IMHO.

19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

I didn't add the Q because she'll befriend them like Galactus. Oh & she'll just defeat Goku by offering him all the nuts he could eat.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I somehow can't imagine the John DeLanice Q falling for that (esp. given that he seems to enjoy causing trouble for people). Come to think of it, I can't see her beating the Borg either.

21. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Accidental double post

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The first movie out of the gate for Phase 4 should be Squirrel Girl just cuz it'd be a nice change from the dire placesetting / previous phase fallout of Civil War. Just have something completely untethered from the larger Marvel U arc and comedic.

That and have the opening scene of Squirrel Girl defeating Thanos in his Thanos-copter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Seems a little too ungrounded from reality for the MCU (yes, I actually just typed that!). Also, with Ant-Man, Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel doesn't really need another comedic superhero installment. (I'm not a comic expert, but isn't Squirrel Girl largely a one-joke character?)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    She has entire runs devoted to her, they can flesh it out a lot. Anyway, Squirrel Girl could be even more out there for comedy since Ant Man, Guardians and Spidey still have a sort of drama grounding them.