main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I dont think every series will get multiple seasons. But it will obviously depend on their individual performance. Like, I'd be surprised if anything other than DD gets more than 2 seasons unless they plan to really spread them out by several years.

These pitches are most likely for helping develop the next shows that will replace the existing batch after they get their 1 or 2 seasons (or whatever their run ends up being if they get more).

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The ways I think it goes, when people are signed up for TeeVee series they generally sign them to five years at least (hence all these stories of casts trying to get pay bumps a few seasons in). It just seems odd they'd sign the stars of Luke Cage and Iron Fist and then just do a done in one (and maybe just a Season 2 for Jessica Jones). however, I have no freakin' clue WHAT contracts were signed for the Netflix crew so who knows? Maybe just keeping it at 2 seasons a pop (plus a team up Defenders season) and then cutting them loose is how to keep 'em cheap (aside from the DD cast which may keep going for awhile).

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The original Netflix deal was for one season for each character plus Defenders mini (and any crossover appearances like Luke on JJ), AFAIK. I think any additional seasons are at Netflix's discretion.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm split here. Brie Larson is a FANTASTIC actress, so I'm glad to see her in the MCU. On the other hand... yeah, Carol Danvers should be older. I'm going to wait and see what Marvel Studios deliver (and they sure have my trust) but yeah, they are going to have to win me over.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Larson has the intensity and maturity to give the character the necessary strength, I think. Yeah, I wanted an older actress too (Jessica Chastain specifically), but if you're going younger, Larson is a great pick. She can definitely come off as competent, confident and someone you do not want to **** with.

6. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I don't know, if you go with someone older, that means her career starts later. This way she can remain for the next wave of Avengers without having got too old.

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah but Elizabeth Olsen is a year older than Brie Larson. And Scarlet Witch has already been shown to be a junior Avenger still learning the ropes and adjusting. Having Captain Marvel be even younger than her...I mean we don't need Captain Marvel becoming a Spider-Man who was an Avenger as a mentor, she should be able to walk in and be an immediate equal to Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc... not someone they show the ropes or people she defers to for guidance and advice.

That said, yeah, cynically it was unlikely they were going to get anyone over 30 for the role as they would want someone to do the role for the next 10-15 years if need be. And sadly women do not get a fair deal when it comes to age and roles. A man could play a superhero into his 50s or more, a woman is almost never going to be allowed to do that. I've read far too many stories of talented and amazing actresses hitting the upper 30s and being laughed at for trying to get lead action roles.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, one should recall that people complained about wanting an older actor to play Captain America back when they announced Evans, so, I have faith you won't care about her age once you see her in the film.

9. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    kinda worries me though that they talk about reworking her origin story... like supposedly it's because of similarity to green lantern or whatever (which... what?) but i wonder if it's not more to do with making her younger

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://deadline.com/2016/08/hulu-ma...tz-stephanie-savage-marvel-comics-1201799746/

Runaways, after years of delays with the film, is making the jump to a ABC TV series on Hulu by the creators of Gossip Girl.

"“I’m a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn’t be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life,” said Schwartz.

Added Savage, “Josh and I can’t wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu.”

The book series debuted in 2003 and is still in print with a short break in later 2004 when it was canceled but brought back by popular demand.

The TV adaptation stems from a series of conversations Schwartz and Savage had with executives from Marvel TV over the past year. The project was developed under the overall deal Schwartz and Savage’s Fake Empire had at ABC Studios where Marvel TV also is based.

Coming of age is familiar territory for Schwartz and Savage who created together the successful TV series adaptation of another book series, Gossip Girl. Schwartz also created the coming-of-age Fox drama The O.C.

“We’ve known the Runaways‘ story would make great television,” said Jeph Loeb, EP and Head of Marvel Television, “and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable.”

Schwartz and Savage will serve as showrunners of Marvel’s Runaways, which they executive produce with Loeb (Marvel’s Jessica Jones) and Jim Chory (Marvel’s Daredevil) Fake Empire’s Lis Rowinski will produce as well."

Clearly, Marvel is just trying to force me to subscribe to every streaming service available.

11. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Nice that Runaways is finally getting made in some form. Not so nice that it's only on Hulu. Oh, well. Hopefully there'll be a DVD eventually.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    had to ask about Hulu, because I haven't watched any of their original shows.

I just want this to be good. Fingers crossed.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Kevin Feige wanted to make a second Ant-Man movie so he had Paul Rudd sign on and he got ahold of Evangeline Lilly who called Stan Lee and Stan Lee said they needed to call Samuel L. Jackson, but Sam said they needed to talk to Robert Downey Jr, who called Clark Gregg who tried to call Chris Evans, but he didn't answer and so they called the Russo brothers and they said "man, you gotta have Michael Pena in the the the sequel" and so they called me and of course I said yes.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^Take that! Six degrees of....

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I thought he was hilarious and missed the racism

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    How was the character racist?

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    He is a petty criminal and just made to look like he doesn't know what he is doing.

I didn't like his whole crew actually so it's not an indictment of Pena (who I think is quite funny).

20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I felt the same way about Scott. he's a petty criminal , jailbird, can't hold a job, poor father.

racist against white people.

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    - In the montage where Lang and the rest are planning to break into the Pym's house, Luis is shown to be very competent in his profession.

- In his two scenes where he's describing the tips he got, we learn from offhand comments that Luis's very knowledgable about wine and art (stuff that the average petty thief probably wouldn't know much about).

- During the final heist of Cross's lab, Luis adapts extremely well on the fly (in spite of whistling), and makes several split-second decisions that keep things rolling. It also turns out that his claim to being the only other person to successfully punch out Peaches wasn't him just shooting his mouth off.

- For what it's worth, he seems to have been the first to figure out that Scott Lang and Hope van Dyne are attracted to one another (he calls Hope Scott's girlfriend long before we see them kissing, and he wasn't present for any of the scenes that hinted at this, like we the audience was).

- Of all the members of the gang, he's the only one other than Lang that expresses that he likes being the hero instead of the crook.

So, while he does get a lot of the laughs, I think he's actually shown to know what he's doing and be good at it to boot.

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Fair enough. In any case it didn't hugely detract from my enjoyment of the film.

Anticipating the sequel!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Best part of that movie was Evangeline Lilly. I cannot wait to see her in action as The Wasp. And I hope they have some small part for her in Infinity War.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Squirrel Girl TV series being shopped around!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/squirrel-girl-gets-a-marvel-tv-series/

I still think doing it as an Anna Kendrick starring movie is a better idea cuz you can A) get Anna Kendrick B) have her be a meta-commentary on the MCU C) have her interact with the film characters as opposed to the increasingly isolated TV side.