main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Then there is no way Ben and May could be 60-70 in the 1960s. They should be around 40-50 at most.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    As usual, Pokester, you haven't been paying attention...

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I know, I was yelling at the screen and foaming at the mouth because Ben and May were too old.

4. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

If you guys really want to see younger Ben and May, check out the Marvel comic mini-series "Trouble" where you get teen pregnancy and Aunt May in a bikini!

Really, though, don't. It's effing horrible. Almost as offensive as the story arc where we find out Norman Osborn knocked up Gwen Stacy (yes, that's a real thing).

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much Marvel's method was to push the timeline forward and changing the war scenario to reflect modern times. Reed and Ben went from WWII to Korea to Vietnam to Iraq. Tony went from being in Southeast Asia to the Middle East, when he was injured. In Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #4, there was a story that showed the courtship between Ben and May, and was set during the 1930's and May is depicted in a photo that is dated in the 20's, but not a specific year.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/805213.html?thread=22539101

Now, in the years since then, this story hasn't been mentioned, but still applies as part of the backstory in 616.

6. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015
    My god, I forgot how much I loved Sal Buscema's art! This is the Aunt May my mind conjures, from the classic Spidey eras! When most comics artists took the time to DRAW the city rather than use that one art program that basically mocks up city backgrounds that's used prolifically today.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    It seems like I've heard that a recent Marvel comic actually explained in-universe that reality is constantly rewriting itself, and constantly moves important events forward.

9. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

That's almost as nerdy and terrible as those Enterprise episodes that had to explain away the difference in appearance of Klingons from TOS vs what came later. Ugh, lol.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    As Worf said, "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

11. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

I so wish they'd left it at that. Because that was funny and a nice wink to the fans, because we ALL know the reason they look different is art department budgets.

12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    That wasn't even the best part of that episode humor wise. Odo gets a pretty great jab in at Worf, "Tell me, do they still sing songs of the great Tribble hunt?"

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The augment thing wasn't terrible. As much as you might want to dismiss the Klingons as just the result of the production budget (and sure, they probably were), the fact remains that basically every other production budget-related or era-related design (uniforms, ship interior, etc) were carried over or acknowledged as having happened as presented, so the Klingon issue really couldn't be hand-waved.

Besides, once DS9 acknowledged that something did happen, hand-waving it is already off the table, whether you get a specific answer or not in ENT.

I think a better (or, I guess, appropriately terrible) TOS comparison for comicbook sliding/handwaved timescales/events would be instances where they had to explain finding an exact duplicate of Earth because they had to justify reusing an Earth planet matte to save money or having to explain an exact copy of the Roman Empire because they weren't able to do a true time travel story for whatever reason.

14. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

That line in DS9 was them handwaving it. They successfully handwaved it for 40 years! There was absolutely no need to address the internal continuity of it, and I say this as one of the biggest Trek nerds you will ever find, even one that thinks Trek is better and more important than Wars but glad he doesn't have to choose one or the other! Some things are simply better left a mystery. And it was definitely production budget. There's been enough quotes from the people that worked on it to that effect for it to be fact and not simply guesswork. And honestly, franchises with that many screen hours logged are going to end up with internal inconsistencies, such as Warp 10 and any other number of issues. Heck, even the Prequels end up contradicting some elements from the original trilogy!

I'm honestly shocked that there haven't been any major contradictions in the MCU thus far considering how many hours deep the franchise already is! (Oh FSM, there are ones, aren't there?)

15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Oh, come on, those were great episodes! On top of that, since we never saw non-ridged Klingons outside of TOS/TAS, it did raise quite the logistics question. IMHO, the explanation they gave was the best possible one given the circumstances (it even incorporated the theories from the DS9 episode).

I do agree that I think the Marvel's explanation seems a little too clever by half. Personally, I think it'd just be easier to ignore the outdated elements in the comics and leave it at that.

^:)^

The former (from "Miri" [TOS]) was never explained. The latter (from "Bread and Circuses" [TOS]) was explained as an example of "Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development."

The latter actually has a possible accidental second example: In "The Omega Glory" (TOS), we learn that Omega IV's society developed the United States of America (complete with the flag, Constitution, and flag Pledge) prior to 1200 AD, well before we did (the existence of the Kohms suggests some parallel form of an Asian Communist country was also present). Hodgekins' Law is the simplest explanation for both Omega IV and Earth developing the same nation and trappings in a vacuum.

I agree they're kind of silly, but I've never had a big problem with either personally.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's still worse (and a more apt comparison) than the Klingon augments.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jedi Merkurian and Master_Lok like this.
  19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    He deserves another film since Blade 3 kicked him to the curb for Reynolds and Biel. I still think the first Blade is one of the best comic book movies ever made and would like to see Wesley daywalking again.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Blade II was also notably excellent. It is a shame that the third one (outside of Reynolds/Posey scenes) dropped the ball so hard.

I wonder if they were just too frightened of being unable to walk back the original idea for Blade III that, in their haste to rework it into a different story, they ended up with something not fleshed out well.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    More likely that Goyer on his own just had a lot of bad ideas and needs someone to filter those ideas. But yeah, I think Blade coming back with Snipes would be great. I know Marvel would want to start fresh, but I think in this instance, they should go with the established version. It'd especially be interesting to see this version on AOS.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Marvel Announces New Blade Series Starring His Daughter

The Next Blade Film Will Be Based On Marvel’s New Female Blade

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Shrugs. I have no interest in reading or seeing that Blade. Now Iron Man (Girl) maybe...but Blade's daughter, I will politely pass.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm interested. It will be Marvel's answer to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it could be directed by Joss Wheaton.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You'll note that news is over a year old, however. While that comic came out, no progress or word has been made on new Blade (outside of Snipes's hopes for returning somehow)- with or without Blade's daughter.

Though that reminds me of the old rumor that Blade II would have once been called Son of Blade under an earlier story idea- just so that they could abbreviate the movie S.O.B..