main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The plan basically required turning the helicarriers on each other and then causing them to crash. Not going out over the ocean and then crashing them.

S.H.I.E.L.D. did have an oversight problem, but as far as Ross is concerned, the Avengers were more problematic than an organization that's now gone. The Avengers caused the destruction as much as HYDRA and Loki.

I've see the same thing with other adaptations. I own "Batman Returns", "Batman Forever", all three issues of "The Real Ghostbusters in Ghostbusters II", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and the first issue of "Robocop 2". Sometimes, they're not worth it and sometimes they are. GB II being the only one worth it.

Then Thanos destroys him with the Gauntlet.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The movie actually addresses this in a logical way. People are afraid of having superhumans running around unchecked and the chaos that the Age of Heroes is bringing. It doesn't matter how much logical sense thinking that more control would prevent (indeed pretty much all the examples provided were war zones that the Avengers had no fault in), but it's what people want.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

But regarding the helicarriers, that's a good point about sending them to the oceans, but did they have the means to do so? I think it's safe to assume that HYDRA had loyal agents flying the helicarriers, plus other members of STRIKE, while Captain America only had The Falcon, the Black Widow, Maria Hill and Nick Fury. Maybe if Thor and Iron Man were involved, but that would risk even more death and destruction. Of the bad options, their plan was probably the "best."

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The thing is, superhero registration doesn't even make sense. Enforcing registration is dependent entirely on having enough heroes on your side to do it for you. But what if Tony Stark wakes up one day and decides to change his mind? This just goes to show that the Superhero Registration Act was toothless to begin with...it requires the heroes to cooperate voluntarily.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Considering that both SHIELD and the ATCU were capable of engaging with, and capturing, most superhumans, it wouldn't be entirely toothless. Lower-powered Inhumans, superhumans and vigilantes have their limits.

6. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I think The2ndQuest made a good point. The Accords would also allow the authorities to arrest superheroes who didn't comply.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right and with more gifted people showing up, it isn't hard to replace those who decide to go rogue with someone who will follow the letter of the law.

8. BookLover20

BookLover20 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2016
    Has anyone noticed that the artwork/slipcover for Doctor Strange currently showing on Amazon appears to imply that there will be a Blu-Ray/DVD combo set? Very much doubt it will happen considering the combos were axed after The Avengers release, but I wish ...

9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Iron Man 3 got a combo pack. Wasn't Thor: The Dark World the first not to get one?

10. BookLover20

BookLover20 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2016

Whoops, looks like IM3 did, in fact, have one.

11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah, I got a used copy of it. Was really disappointed that the DVD wasn't included, but for only a few bucks, I'll tolerate it (assuming that the Blu-Ray actually works).

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    A tangent, and apologies if I've said this before in this thread, but something that bugs me about MCU continuity is a massive missed opportunity in Luke Cage. We have Alfre Woodard playing a role in Civil War. A role that was so minimal that she could easily have been the same character in Luke Cage with a few relatively minor tweaks; especially given the anti-superpower sentiments fomented by Mariah Stokes.

The thing that really bugs me though, is why are there no references to the Hulk/Abomination showdown in Luke Cage?!? Y'know...the show that's set in Harlem? After all...

[​IMG]

Darth Raiden and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah the 08 Hulk is considered part of the MCU so it does seem like a missed opportunity.

And where is Iron Fist?

They should have a team up movie against the Hulk.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree there should have been more TIH references. They mentioned Thor's Hammer more often.

As for Alfre, she was cast in Luke Cage after she filmed Civil War, so it would be too late to rewrite her CW character to be the same character.

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    No, what I'm getting at is they could've made minor rewrites to her LC character

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah. Perhaps- but, IIRC, the guy in charge of the show wasn't aware of her CW casting (he just cast her himself because they had worked together or something?) and by then it was too late.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Fair enough. The Abomination omission though... [face_plain]

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, it almost seems as if Disney wants to acknowledge TIH as little as possible. Could it possibly be due to something as petty as rights issues or even the change of leads?

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It shouldn't be a rights issue, given RDJ's appearance in the stinger for TIH and the events of Avengers, AoU, and AoS being mentioned in all the Netflix shows. And if the studio was being petty, all they had to do was...not make any mention of the TIH battle in Avengers.

EDIT: This brings something else to mind. I'm a little behind on AoS, but given the viral videos of Luke Cage's exploits, have there been any references made about SHIELD going to Harlem?

20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Didn't Ruffalo mention "breaking Harlem"?

21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I posted an image to this effect on this very page :p

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I can't be expected to read!

edit: And in my actual defense, my work network blocks random image sites, so that image is only showing on mobile for me.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No AoS mentions of Harlem.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe they all have amnesia?

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Yeah, it's a rare disorder called Redimiculum Rubens.