main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    A society willing to elect Donald Trump as president deserves a Venom movie.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    so they're doing a Venom movie without introducing it with Spider-Man.
    I was thinking a while back it's sad Marvel doesn't have control of everything or they could do the original Secret Wars as a movie, or two more probably, and introduce the black suite properly.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Or maybe Venom's origin already happened?

"We" just hope it's the REAL Venom.

[​IMG][​IMG]

NOT
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I do like the character in general. Hope it turns out well, but I'm not sure what the draw will be without doing the Black Suit Spider-Man story first. At any rate, it'll be interesting to compare to Venom's last big screen role in Spider-Man 3. (I personally have few complaints against that movie and thought that, for compressing the Black Suit/Venom story into one movie, it worked pretty well. Hope the new one doesn't expose the host's face too much. That's one thing that I though SM3 misstepped on.)

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

AAHHHHHH!! MY EYES!! WHYYYYYYYY????

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Cute image.

Yeah, those points have been sticking with me a lot since my theatrical binge. The sling rings in particular; considering they use something similar to call up mystical energy weapons and shields with the hand/mind. I can understand novices using sling rings, but considering how quickly Strange adapted and learned, I hope he moves beyond that going forward.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's the weird thing- most reports are saying this is treating Venom as a standalone character and a Sony-only movie. Which would mean it's neither MCU nor Spider-Man related. Which is double absurd.

True Sith, Ghost, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    in other words:

Fox

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is the single most appropriate comment.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Yeah, this is a surprising news, but I can't quite say is absurd because the general going movie audience are not comic book nerds and it's not like movie studio haven't made stand alone super hero films before. I mean, stand along super hero films were pretty much the standard before the MCU came along with their shared universe.

I'm not sure if it's been confirmed this will be the Eddie Brock version of Venom. It could be a Flash Thompson version of Venom which doesn't have very strong ties to Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
    [​IMG]

To my understanding, Flash Thompson Venom has pretty much been living in his own "world" as I don't recall him crossing over in any of the Spider-Man comic books I've been reading.

But, I read some speculation that it will be Eddie Brock Venom and possible villain could be Carnage, which could be a R Rated film that Disney/Marvel wouldn't touch.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Topher Grace needs food, so does Josh Trank. Make it happen.

*laughs evily*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, but general audiences already associate him and his origin strongly with Spider-Man (he's probably the second most well-known Spider-Man villain after the goblin- general audiences always hook onto the "evil version of the hero" more often than not). I mean, how can you have a guy who looks like a bigger version of black suit Spidey and not have it connected to Spidey?

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Perhaps the general audience might associate Venom with Spider-Man because of Spidey 3, but I doubt that will be a problem as Venom wasn't really a strong character in that film. In fact, he was kind of forgettable and I doubt recall if they even used the name Venom in the film. He could be thought of as evil Spider-Man by the general audience.

Now, I'm not saying that Venom won't be connected to Spidey, but rather that the character can stand on his own. That there could be a reference to Spider-Man but he would never really need to appear onscreen. I could see a Venom vs. Carnage flick. Venom wasn't so much a villain, in the sense he committed crimes or wanted to take over the work, IIRC, he only hated Spider-Man and wanted to torment him. So, if there's no more hatred towards Spider-Man, Venom could be anti-hero or even a hero in this film.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Given that Sony no longer has complete control over the Spidey franchise, I don't think it's likely that they'll make a Venom film independent of the MCU. If they still had Garfield on and had plans to expand that universe, then it would make more sense.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not just Spidey 3 though- cartoons, video games, etc for decades have pushed Venom. Yous ee tons of Venom hoodies/shirts/etc so he's not exactly an unknown character who might just be mistaken as a Spidey villain.

Ghost and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Meh on a Venom movie. But, with the rise of R-Rated Superhero movies, give me Maximum Carnage as a movie adaptation.

Ghost likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, I'm not certain that Venom is a household name. Meaning, I don't think my mom or people of her ilk would know who Venom is. For those that do know who Venom is (the people that buy the video games, apparel and whatnot), I think for the most part would be open to seeing that character again on the silver screen. I'm sure Sony is looking at Venom as a Deadpool/Logan type of situation, where (for now) exists in his own pocket universe and has the freedom to be it's own story. That's why there is wide speculation that Sony's Venom film with be Carnage vs. Venom.

[​IMG]

I remember Sony wanted to build their own cinematic universe before collaborating with Marvel on Spider-Man with reports of developing a Black Cat and a Sinister Six film. Looks like Sony still wants to do that as Fox has done this with their X-Men franchise. Which is understandable as I do believe they have a blockbuster franchise film in their stable. I mean, Spider-Man Homecoming is a MCU production and therefore subject to Marvel's schedule slate of films, so the subsequent sequel might be a Phase IV film, which probably won't happen until 2020? That's leaves Sony without any revenue source for its Spider-Man license for years. Creating a Venom and whatnot franchise gives them an opportunity to maximize their investment on holding the rights to the Spider-Man universe.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    this story just reminds me of how Fox always wants to rush through the material all at once. geez give it a few years and let Venom show up in a Spidey movie.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I mean, I'm not like super-pumped, but I've always thought there was potential in Venom and I think it would fit right into the whole thing with Deadpool, ie. screw up a character horribly and then bring him back awesomely. I mean, I don't know that Venom in Spiderman 3 was awful, but it definitely provoked the reaction, for me at least, of "They had Venom and THAT'S what they did with him?"

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think this is MCU-related, the key part is in the Variety article that announced it:

"Scott Rosenberg (“Jumanji”) and Jeff Pinkner (“The Dark Tower”) will write the script for the Venom film, with Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach producing the picture."

Arad and Tolmach were pushing forces on the first 5 Spider-flicks, and Homecoming is way more Feige and Disney basically freelancing for Sony. Arad and Tolmach are basically non-entities in Homecoming and the MCU, and there's no mention of Kevin Feige or Disney or the MCU here. This sort of falls under the umbrella of Sony wants to still make a bunch of Spider-movies but Spider-Man of it all is now in the MCU so they're going unrelated spin-offs like the animated Miles Morales flick and Venom spin-off. Basically Disney and Sony have a handshake agreement with Spider-Man and his close supporting cast (and there are apparently some cheques being cut if the movies reach X-amount of box office benchmarks) but this Venom and the Miles animated flicks are basically Sony's ASM2 Spider-spin-off movies plan again without having to involve Disney and Marvel.

I think Venom is a strong enough character where they could pull it off without involving Spider-Man or the larger MCU but it'd honestly be really hard and has to be really good.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is Venom a strong character, though? Really, it was interesting look at Peter Parker's darker impulses. But I don't really care about some jaded rival news reporter or whatever thing.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Venom has his own comic series, toy line, and video game, in the mid-1990's. He's usually considered, along with the Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus, as one of Spider-Man's three arch-nemeses.

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Like the Tamagotchi, Venom was big in the 90s.

Ghost likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Master_Lok and Ghost like this.