main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Maybe Deadpool thought Cable was going to be sitting in that chair (funny since Josh Brolin is playing both Thanos and Cable :p ).

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's why I chose Deadpool. ;)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The screenwriters are the ones who set the table, and you can see in every screenplay they've written for Marvel their third acts collapse. That the director(s), cast and crew agree to consistently deflated third acts is something of a drag.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They have a title card and dialogue setting it 8 years after Avengers and 2 months after Civil War when it should be 4 years after Avengers (as the set-6-months-after Avengers Iron Man 3 locks Avengers into being 2012 via the stated 13 year span of time since the 1999 flashbacks).

Additionally, while the 8-year dialogue reference could be explained away, the age of certain characters (and an anchoring prop) makes it difficult to ignore the 8 year title card reference. You can't even try ignoring the 2 months reference (which set SMH a few years into the future) because Parker can't have aged that much since CW due to being a sophomore in high school.

The other stated dating references in the other films (Winter Soldier, etc) makes the only thing approaching a solution being expanding the timeframe between AOU and CW but even that alters the effect of Sokovia, the length of time Scarlet Witch has been an Avenger, etc- and would force us to either ignore AOS or believe that AOS S3 spans 3-4 years.

It's messy.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Maybe it's Thanos messing with the Time Gem.

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Let's just blame Doctor Strange messing with time in his film. He messed with it several times. Maybe he broke more than just his immediate time?

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Come on Marvel release the trailer, kinda a mean thing to do.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That would be a handwave bandaid in the short term but unless it's a plotpoint in the future, not a reliable solution long-term.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Let me ask again, does it really affect anything? I'll give you an example; as I've mentioned, I'm a fan of "Highlander". The fourth film has a listing of 2000 in the opening scene, when it shouldn't take place then. It was fixed to say, "Ten years ago". But it still doesn't say 1992 and 2002, which would be the correct dates according to the television series. Not to mention that the World Trade Center went down in 2001. But all that aside, it doesn't affect my ability to enjoy the film. Don't let this do the same thing.

10. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002

Why not? We know Doctor Strange takes place before Thor Ragnorak. And I believe there is an award in his case dated 2015 or 2016?

But beyond that, it's unclear when exactly the film occurs. If Strange is getting smashed right around the time Civil War occurs, that would pretty much work. The film shows Strange dying again and again quickly, but for all we know, this was a battle that lasted weeks, months or possibly even a year. How do we know really? It's all within Strange's time bubble. It's not clear how far that bubble extends. Maybe it is only the immediate area: meaning that while he's extending this, other parts of the world are still moving. That would at least explain why Wong and Mordo were so cautious and why Mordo was so upset that he left.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I guess it's not a big deal. There are ways to retcon things but ultimately, it doesn't matter.

What I've read of the IW trailer is pretty "holy ****" kinda epic. I honestly don't knew whether I want to see it, but fear that's a bit futile.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's an out of universe explanation currently. If the films were to acknowledge that, yes, Strange messing with time altered the timing of all historical events from that point on or before, then that's fine. But without something like that, you have lost the internal consistency of the narrative of the cinematic universe.

It does- most notably in regards to AOS (as you can't stretch a single season out to span 4 years, especially without the cast aging [except for Ming-Na, who is immortal, obviously]) but even if just within the context of the films it means the Sokovia Accords took 4 years to pass (which changes how we the audience interpret it and the motivations behind it), that Scarlett Witch had more time as an Avenger in CW than Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow or Hawkeye did in AOU (contradicting the characterization of her being inexperienced/new) and that the only major thing that happened in the MCU for the 4 years between AOU and CW was Ant-Man.

It's a little different than Highlander, though, because there's already precedence for there being multiple continuities within that franchise (Highlander 2 is basically ignored, for instance). And things like the trade towers could be explained away as Highlander's fictional universe diverging from our own (like Star Trek's 1990's Augment War).

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nice to see some of Hickman's epic Marvel work creeping into the movies.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If timeline consistency is the biggest of Marvel's problems, then they have it pretty good. The X-Men films and consistency were on different continents. :p

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw the leaked versions of the teaser but the poorer than usual quality of such things made it hard to see.

17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002

[​IMG]

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How did Stabge get into the conversation when it was only between Bucky and Steve?

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well now I'm going to boycott every single future MCU movie because of the timeline inconsistencies.

darth-sinister likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Magic.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But again, you're missing the point. It really doesn't affect your ability to watch the films and the shows, if you let it.

The fourth film was in continuity to the show, not a separate universe. It was just an error. However, my point is that just ignore the reference and just enjoy the films and shows. If you make it a big deal breaker, you're only denying the fun of it all.

[​IMG]

PCCViking likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, i can still enjoy them as a standalone film or sub-series, but the loss of cohesion diminishes things now that you have to squint to make sense of certain things or cannot have one answer to a simple question like "How many years since Iron Man?".

It's not quite as bad as X-Men, but X-Men is a good example of how bad continuity can undermine an entire film series. When you can't use a lot of information from some films to speculate or analyze others, it's not much of a series.

Random Comments likes this.
  23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Not once I have disliked an X-Men film for "bad continuity." It's something fun for fans to talk about, sure. It doesn't impact the quality of the films to the average movie-goer in any way.

Nobody has done anything on the level of Marvel undoing Phil Coulson's death. That was the single most important moment of the capstone film of "phase 1." Yet they've made it work, and built a great TV series around it without compromising the films. If that can be undone within the same universe, I think this timeline stuff is small potatoes.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bringing Coulson back to life was done within continuity though- they didn't just ignore his death.

And you absolutely should dislike an X-men movie for bad continuity- X3 denied us a firebird because of that! :)

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If THAT is why you dislike X3, I have some questions