main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I still find it surprising so many people dislike IM2- it's far better/more rewatchable than several other MCU films (IM3, Thor 2, TIH, Strange, etc). It even has a stronger finale than IM1, even if IM1 has stronger opening & (in particular) middle acts.

I mean, I get that Rockwell makes or breaks the film for a lot of people and that a lot of its negative reputation is a result of misguided/inaccurate pre-Avengers conceptions that have just snowballed for years despite being outdated views at this point, but that doesn't account for all of the reaction to it.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't really think so. Iron Man 3 was fine by me (although I'm not a huge Iron Man fan). I never really got the dislike for Thor 2. I will grant that the villain is pretty much a plot device, not a character, but I did like the other characters a lot and the premise of the movie was one I found really interesting (huge sci-fi fan). Hulk was okay, but I do think it's the least spectacular of the MCU to date. I liked Doctor Strange better than any of the Iron Man movies on all levels.

The original Iron Man is a pretty solid movie, but I do think that the plot is a little on the thin side, mainly carried by the characters, so I think its claims to greatness lie primarily in setting up the MCU. As a story, I'm not sure it holds up with the top-level tier greats in the genre.

I really liked Rockwell myself.

I don't hate IM2 (it's a very entertaining movie), but the plot is very badly structured. The multiple storylines have little or nothing to do with each other and overstuff the movie/ (Spider-Man 3 had the same "too many plots" problem, but at least structured it in a way that they all interconnected with the theme of the film and worked together to form a single whole). The previous films you mentioned, I would contend that they're better movies than IM2 on the grounds that they were better constructed films; the plots worked together and formed a single whole. IM2 does not do that, nor is there any real theme to the movie; it just a chain of events, entertaining events, but still a movie about everything, and so, about nothing.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I like both Iron-Man 2, Thor 2 and both of the Hulk movies.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    And there is nothing wrong with that at all. Marvel knows how to make an entertaining film.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My issue with Iron Man 2 is that you could tell me basically anything happened in it, and I'd believe you. It was that forgettable.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I could tell you the exact plot, but that doesn't make it any better.

The problem was that it's Age of Ultron without any of the built-up backstory, so it doesn't work.

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Don't you remember the Iron Man vs. Thanos fight?

Random Comments and Gamiel like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Well, I don't dislike any MCU films (even Hulk is a decent Bourne-light clone and overcame very low initial expectations), but I still find IM2 to be a stronger film than some.

In the case of IM3, while the three major action sequences are great and the character banter is fine (if a bit too dry at times), the majority film is built towards a threat that ends up being a joke- and while I can enjoy the joke, that's usually never a good idea in any film as it undermines what your film has been building towards. In this case, as illustrated in the initial trailer, it also underlines a huge missed opportunity, thematically, for the first post-Avengers film to explore (ie: villains trying to cut off the very idea of heroes before it gets out of hand).

Thor 2 gets a worse rep than it deserves- it improves on the first film in almost every way (mew mew!) except the main villain. And the near utter lack of development for that character and his motivations makes confronting him monotonous despite the other imaginative bits going on around him (the portal hopping and effect on the hammer, for instance).

Strange falters slightly by making "the Marvel formula" more obvious due to the familiarity to Iron Man and such, but it manages to work in inventive visuals and a creative climax that uses that familiarity to it's advantage- but the rest of the film isn't quite so devious.

IM1, I think, it's pretty great but once Stane puts on the Iron Monger suit, his character becomes terribly generic with stock villain one-liners. This is not a disappointment mirrored by IM2's drone battle, thus i give that the film the edge in that department.

See, i actually totally disagree with your assessment there- the multiple storylines are connected with the main theme of IM2, which it definitely has: it's about showing Tony that he can't do everything alone, as that path is self destructive and pushes everyone he cares about away. It's only when he learns to accept help from Pepper, Happy, Rhodes, Fury and his father that he's able to cure himself and take on those personal fractures being manipulated by the 'sharks in the water'.

And I rather like that arc of Tony's in the film (especially the "still taking me to school" scene) and find it more satisfying than the PTSD arc in IM3 (don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Tony having issues after what he experiences in Avengers, but IM3 dwells on it as a major element [though generally just an excuse for Tony to pause a few times in the movie] and kinda just forgets about it by the end of the movie- whereas the "can't do this alone" theme runs solidly from beginning to end throughout IM2 and is carried on through the subsequent films as arguably the basis for Tony's entire character arc in the MCU as a whole).

IM2 isn't without its flaws- Rourke is so good as Whiplash that the lack of a real face-to-face encounter at the end of the film is incredibly disappointing*, though repeat viewings make the strategic-battle-of-minds aspect of the drone battle more clear so they do have a non face-to-face showdown at least.

*I still prefer the alternate ending they shot which keeps Whiplash out of a random Iron Monger rip-off and provides that face to face showdown. It might lack a little oomph (and something-bad-will-happen-to-Pepper is telegraphed too much) but it's still more satisfying, IMO (though a combination of the two would have probably been ideal).

If you're doing everything, you'll want to watch the One-Shot short films if you haven't already been doing so (you didn't mention them in your post). There's five of them in total and they're located across the various Blu-Ray releases as bonus features.

Other misc MCU content include two series of Newsfront videos (news segments and interviews with characters) (one set prior to Ant-Man, the other, Civil War) which are on youtube (and the Ant-Man BD has the first series), the Slingshot webseries (set mid-Season 4 of Agents of SHIELD) and 4 of the 5 Jessica Jones teasers (which are very small glimpses into her life pre-series, but still original content). Also, someone posted a couple of commercials tied into Spider-Man which seem to be set after the film and also appear to still work as in-universe content.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So is SM:H really underperforming at the Box Office, and if so, what does it mean for the future of MCU films with the character? It had a huge drop second weekend.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think it will end in the GOTG2/WW range domestically, maybe a bit lower. But at this point, Marvel's immune to anything other than box office disaster.

As for Sony - domestically, Homecoming has already beaten ASM2 and should pass ASM today or tomorrow, their full runs. Worldwide (I imagine there are still some markets that are unopened), it will pass both within a week. Can't really make an argument that the franchise has dipped with Marvel - that's not even taking the critical acclaim into account.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That drop was due to the audience cannibalizing from Apes, mostly. It's domestic total has already surpassed ASM2 and will pass ASM1 today, though it probably won't touch the Raimi trilogy.

Worldwide it'll end up above the ASM films and might top SM2 but will probably be below SM1 & SM3.

Within the MCU it already topped Strange domestically, will soon pass Winter Soldier and will may end up in the IM & GOTG territory. Worldwide MCU, it'll also probably end up in that GOTG territory.

So probably no need to worry about poor Peter Parker at the moment.

EDIT- ninja'd

heels1785 likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Apes underperformed pretty badly too which is a shame. It's been a pretty lousy summer movie wise.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think the biggest failure of Iron Man 2 is that it didn't live up to the original Iron Man film, which many consider to be a 9 or a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. I personally enjoyed Iron Man 2 as it included the first appearance of Black Widow, and for comic book nerds, first appearances of characters is pretty huge. Additionally, I found the ending of the film very satisfying. I love seeing Iron Man and War Machine fighting side by side.

[​IMG]

I can't bring myself to watch Iron Man 3 as it feels more like a James Bond and his gadgets type of film than a true Iron Man flick. Plus the film undercuts itself twice, with the Mandarin reveal and then becoming yet another film where Tony Stark has to deal with his sins from the past.

As far as Spider-Man: Homecoming it's a fun and satisfying film, but it didn't have a hook that made me want to see it again in theaters.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It really hasn't, if you think about it. It's more the release schedule that did a lot of films in. We've had GOTG2, WW, SMH, WFTPOTA, Baby Driver and Dunkirk so far, with Atomic Blonde and Dark Tower to go and maybe Hitman's Bodyguard taking the traditional end-of-summer B-movie action film role. That averages out to be about 2 tentpoles a month that were good-to-great (ok, maybe Baby Driver isn't a tentpole, but still).

Other franchises had middling or debatable success (Pirates, Alien). Even The Mummy will probably break even on a financial level (and will have left some lessons that would seemingly bode well for future DU films). The only truly terrible tentpole has been Transformers- but at least we now have a TF film that can be universally agreed to being the worst of that series and its performance may help keep Bay away from future installments, so that's a huge win for moviegoers there at least. ;)

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If I had the money I would watch many of the films on the silver screan right now, sadly I don't have the money.

16. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but that's an interesting way of looking at it. (Put it this way, I can see what you're saying, but it feels a bit accidental, if that makes any sense.)

Okay,

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

I love the concept art of Captain Marvel and the Skrulls and they look very faithful to the source material.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd imagine the original Captain Mar-vell would appear in the film as well.

I'm kind of bummed that Carol Danvers will not make her debut in Infinity War, but that might be just for the best as it's pretty crowded as it is, and Captain Marvel would be better served than just coming out of left field to fight Thanos. I'm sure she'll be in Avengers 4.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My first into to the Skrulls was via The 3-D Man. Among other things a Skrull posed as Nixon.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sith_Sensei__Prime can you pleas keep that kind of images behind spoilers? Some of us don't want to see that untill after the movie.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Sorry about that. I didn't think it was spoiler material since JoinTheSchwarz posted a few days ago the news of Captain Marvel and Skrulls and it was only concept art made available to the public like a trailer or magazine photos. I'll definitely keeps images under spoiler tags going forward.

21. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Thought the Skrulls were part of the F4 franchise, which Fox owns the movie rights to.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Nein. SPECIFICALLY NAMED Skrulls (i.e. Super-Skrull) is tied to the F4 rights, but both can use generic Skrulls.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Turns out Fox does not have exclusive rights to the Skrulls. Marvel can use the Skrull race in general, but specific Skrull characters like the Super Skrull is exclusive to Fox.

EDIT: Ninja'd

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Concept art is not and should not be considered spoiler material.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012