main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

Blame the Guardians of The Galaxy formula.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's the inevitability of franchisiness. If RDJ doing Tony Stark is universally considered the best thing about the MCU, the rule of franchisiness dictates that eventually all of the MCU will increasingly be directed at mimicking RDJ doing Tony Stark. The "Guardians of the Galaxy formula" is really just a formula for building a movie around a bunch of characters doing RDJ/Tony Stark impressions. Every superhero in the MCU gets their Tony Starkiness turned up a few notches on the dial until eventually everyone's at 11.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I blame an Infinity Stone. :cool:

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    To be fair, everything that I've ever seen from Marvel, whether it be in films, TV series or comics, most of the time, even during serious events, there's humour involved. Whereas DC keeps it dark, which is why I love both companies, as you can go to either depending on what mood you're in.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed. However, Marvel does dark much better than DC does humor. But hopefully Joss and past mistakes (SS) will help that.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah when the progenitor template for the entire MCU is Iron Man which was directed by Jon Favraeu and largely improvised on set, it has a knock on effect tonally of humour in on every single movie in the MCU. (Incredible Hulk, a kind of dour flick, was developed concurrently with Iron Man and is kind of ignored so tonally it's the least jokiest of the series). But, if one wants to take a long view, every movie in the MCU is a sequel to Iron Man so it's going to stylistically be the same.

On the flipside, every move in DC is sort of a sequel to Man of Steel and while later ones, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman did have humour, there is an overriding tone of darkness that isn't present in the MCU. Because the MCU started with Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if you've seen the justice league trailer it's pretty clear that wonder woman was the bridge to dc going with the full-on marvel approach. if you can't beat them join them i guess.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Because redundant threads being redundant?

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's the officially official policy of the Department of Redundancy Department. :p

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Blade Runner 2049 had gone full jokey, it would've made trillions at the box office. Scenes of Jared Leto being Mr. Magoo. Cast Kersplat as Officer K. Profit!

:mad:

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not sure what you’re talking about- There isn’t any general discussion in the Thor thread currently and people are talking about General MCU tone here (albeit spawned from a Thor review comment).

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    No. Get your TV Tropes out of my JCC.

13. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Like I posted on another thread, I am shocked Marvel has not just released the SDCC trailer. There are crappy copies everywhere on YouTube. Might as well give in and get it up properly especially since the leak trailer is getting fabulous feedback.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Marvel rarely releases their con exclusive videos online. Sometimes you get clips or scenes from them a year or two later in a different video piece, but they tend to hold onto them.

The original Ultron teaser was kept offline for a very long time. The Infinity War announcement trailer has never been released officially (though some shots [like the Thanos shot] have been included in BD Infinity Stone bonus features and fans have managed to recreate it), though I'm kinda ok with that one because the audience cheering bootleg audio makes it fifty times more awesome.

Supposedly the SDCC one didn't have finished FX or something which is one reason they've been holding off on it. The other is just marketing strategy: they want the trailer to be new when its attached to Star Wars in Dec and don't want to overshadow Black Panther 9which is why BP's new trailer is attached to Thor instead of IW).

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really thought that Infinity War would drop with Thor but I'm totally okay if they moved it to Last Jedi.

17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Obviously we're getting the recent YouTube dropped Black Panther trailer in front of Thor

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was zero chance Marvel was going to promote their next-next film before their actual next film.

Jedi Merkurian and cerealbox like this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    " One of the significant risks of the superhero film scene is genre stagnation, and the energy and wit of a heist movie might be exactly what Avengers needs to break out of that trap."

Yes, just like Ant-Man!

Jedi Merkurian and Alpha-Red like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the bad guy being the focus of the heist with the heroes having to stop him is a rather different dynamic than Ant-Man where it's the reverse.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, based on the previous MCU films, we know where certain Infinity Stones are located, so Thanos would have to steal them from those locations. And as such, Infinity War is shaping up to be a film that answers the criticisms of the MCU not having a strong or well developed/used villain.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm totally not opposed to a heist film or a genre swap (especially where the Russos are concerned -- see The Winter Soldier) I'm just hella-surprised.

Jedi Merkurian and Master_Lok like this.
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Makes sense considering some Avengers are in possession of the stones.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I'm surprised too that the Russo would describe Infinity War as a Thanos lead heist film. But after reading the article and giving it some thought, it does make sense. Thanos would not want to alert great powers than him about acquiring all the Infinity Stones. At this point, I don't think Thanos has enough firepower to take on the Nova Corp. When Thanos' heist is discovered, the Infinity War shall begin.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.