main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, what’s fascinating here is that, even if talks with Disney are dead, Fox still intends to sell to someone. And every possibility has some interesting results.

First off, we can probably rule out Lionsgate and MGM. They just don’t have the capital to afford Fox’s assets, even if MGM would be a perfect pairing.

Such an acquisition would finally make Lionsgate the serious studio that it’s been trying to be for almost 20 years. But it just isn’t going to happen. Especially with MGM only recently emerging from bankruptcy.

But the other contenders:

-Netflix: A real long shot, but if ever there was an opportunity to further improve their standing against the coming Disney Streaming onslaught, permanently adding Fox’s catalog to their service would be one hell of a place to start. Though I’d be damn curious what Netflix would do with owning FX, a TV channel, as a result. Probably sell it off but you never know.

On the Marvel side suddenly you’d have X-Men on the same service as the Defenders, weirdly.

-Universal: Those shared Hulk rights suddenly gets mutant friends. Also it’d be interesting to see if that affects the Marvel theme park situation too.

-Paramount: The studio that lost being the exclusive home of the MCU to Disney would suddenly have its own slice of the Marvel Universe.

-Sony: Can the epic yarn that is Sony’s relationship with Marvel get any stranger? You betcha!

Not to mention the previously-and-completely randomly confusing corporate-marketing-exchange that was the DOFP promo clip “stinger” in ASM2 suddenly becomes a herald of Sony’s Spider-Xverse.

-WB: The house of DC owning the X-Men & FF movies? Let the internet explosions begin.

(Blade doesn’t really count, as that was through New Line, which was a separate-though-related entity at the time)

-Amazon: Oh god, it’s going to be Amazon, isn’t it?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't believe the Marvel license rights of the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters are transferable to any other studio without the written approval by Marvel/Disney. Licensing agreements are very specific about the transfer or assignment of intellectual properties. So, if any company aside from Disney purchases Fox's studio they would not have the rights to Marvel intellectual properties.

Neither Disney or Fox have confirmed the CNBC report about the dead deal or even that talks have taken place.

However, over the course of the last year or so, there have been evidence of the ice melting of the Cold War between the two studios as they collaborated on the TV side of things with Legion and The Gifted. And that deal where Fox traded the rights to Ego for permission to modify Negasonic Teenage Warhead's mutant powers for the Deadpool film. Moreover, many believe when Marvel gave Fox the approval for Legion and The Gifted, Marvel got something back in return, which many speculate it being the rights to the Fantastic Four.

I believe after Avengers 4 there will be major announcements about the future of the MCU. Hopefully sooner, but Kevin Feige has gone on record that revealing the future of the MCU would spoil the upcoming Avengers 4 film.

On another note, when Disney has acquired a company there haven't been huge noticeable changes right off the bat. I mean, Marvel Studios hasn't changed any of it's plans and the Star Wars franchise is thriving and it probably better than we it was just Lucasfilm. If Disney were to acquire Fox studio, Disney could leave it as status quo.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    She should simply play the Marvel Selene.

I don't think it's a good thing for the X-Men franchise, Disney would not make something like the Logan movie. Fantastic Four could get a huge boost though.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Fox has had a real good run recently with Deadpool, Logan and Legion so it'd be a shame to cut it off once they seem to be picking up steam again by doing stuff that's really unique. Disney isn't in the R-rated content game anymore.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ryan Reynolds tweeted his reaction to the Disney/Fox deal by saying:

Perhaps a harbinger what Deadpool would sound like under the Mouse's House. And to be honest, Deadpool doesn't actually swear in most of the comic books he appears in.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I’d trade Deadpool swearing for the opportunity to get him and Taskmaster into the same film.

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'd just let Marvel by FF back.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway, Inhumans just beat Thor to the punch (finale spoilers for both and how to connect the two in the MCU herein)

Thor Ragnrok ends with Thor gathering his folk off Asgard into space presumably to find a new home. Inhumans just did the same thing except took it futher. Even said that Atlian was it's people and not the place, which was the same thing in Thor: Ragnarok. But Inhumans ends with them already settled on Earth. Which is reallllly likely to how Asgard is going to end up.

It's interesting that Inhumans has the same ending as Thor 3 barely a week after it's been in theatres and while the divide between the TV and movie sides is apparently rather wide, it's odd how both stumbled into the same basic ending. Maybe it's just a fluke or maybe the Marvel TV folks knew the Thor 3 ending and decided to do the same thing cuz the TV folk do still gets heads up on the movie development. But I'm going with fluke. Odd, though.

Now, due to lack of critical and commercial reception, we probably won't see how the Inhumans end up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so, of note, their final settling place looked like it was surrounded by a giant fence. So let's just No Prize that General Ross came in, saw all of these superpowered folks in one place and ordered a carpet bombing. Or they're already all under Ross or S.H.I.E.L.D. containment. And they muzzled Black Bolt, I guess. But he was wearing his cape in the final scene so that makes it all okay.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've watched every episode of the unremarkable and irredeemable Inhumans and I don't recall any connections to the MCU proper or even Agents of SHIELD. Which may be proven to be a good thing.

And speaking of Marvel branches connecting, I saw this pic and said to myself, "Oh yeah, Thor hasn't met these guys."

[​IMG]

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The connection to AOS has to do with the references to the Terrigen Crystals having ruptured and polluted the oceans, causing mass Inhuman conversions and that they're the descendants of the ones who stayed behind. So it is there. It just wasn't as overt as what AOS and AC did.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It's seems such as shame that this connection wasn't more exploited, especially in the light that of the speculation that Inhumans would be the MCU's version of mutants and the Royal Family serving as the X-Men. I mean, Inhumans could have been something like The Gifted.

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is that AIDA in the "alcoholic bros" part?

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Tony Stark, Jessica Jones, Valkyrie

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    EDIT: Nevermind

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it’s a little stronger than just that- Triton’s mission at the start of the series is about saving Nu-Inhumans, so the AOS connection actually kicks off everything in motion in regards to Inhumans’ plot.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Because of the story line and elements covered in Agents of SHIELD, such as "The Index," Watchdogs, Terrigen Crystals polluting the oceans and emergence of Nu-Inhumans, I really thought all of that would cause the Royal Family to come out of hiding and announce themselves to world and declare themselves as protectors of the Inhuman race with the desire of living peacefully with humans, much like the X-Men does with mutants. I mean, the Nu-Inhumans were set up to be the mutants of the MCU, with Black Bolt and Medusa taking on the roles of Cyclops and Emma Frost. The MCU proper worked towards the crossover of their characters, and I thought the TV side of things was working to the same thing; to have Daisy/Quake and the Agents of SHIELD meet up and fight along side of the Inhuman Royal Family. The CW/DCTV has done this will their characters/TV shows, so it seemed like the natural thing for ABC/MarvelTV to do the same.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, this kinda started to lead towards that- Black Bolt starting rescue missions despite breaking their isolation not being very popular. Had there not been a coup, one could see that leading to a public reveal eventually (such as in a future season, had the show not bombed critically).

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Last I checked, weren't the Inhumans supposed to guest star this season? If so, they can wrap a lot of that off.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I doubt it now that the Inhumans are on earth and the Agents are in space.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They're not going to be out there forever.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, if ABC/Disney wants to salvage the Inhumans, that would be a way to start. But, the poor ratings for Inhumans, it's very doubtful that IMax will contribute funding for another season and it's probably doubtful that ABC will do it on their own.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    IMAX has already said that they're going to be more careful for future projects.