main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly at this point I think Marvel if they want to avoid spoilers in trailers can just run the actor's costume test for 2 minutes with a title and a release date and still make at least 700 million dollars.

Jedi Merkurian and WebLurker like this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I dunno, I don't feel like I pick up much in the way of spoilers in their trailers.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, for example, during my last screening of TLJ, I finally got BP & IW trailers back to back. So the issue of if BP remains king, etc is spoiled there. Likewise, the casual viewer may assume Lang survives IW based on the new trailer.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I think Ant-Man and the Wasp is set before Infinity War.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It depends on the direction of Phase IV. I mean, you're assuming that Phase IV will be constructed the way Phases I - III were designed, in that there were building to a confrontation with Thanos. I'm not sure the MCU will build to another Thanos type of character as there's really not another "Infinity Gauntlet" type of MacGuffin to build towards. I imagine Phase IV will be more stand alone/unconnected films as oppose to more connected films, which would allow the writers more freedom. I think that was one of the problems with Age of Ultron as it had to be written to setup the departure of Thor and Hulk as well as Civil War and whatnot. So, if the Phase IV is more about stand alone flicks, there probably won't be much spoilers. Plus, Feige has said the future of the MCU was to go cosmic. Of course, that was before the Disney/Fox deal.

I'm hoping Phase IV will be when the MCU introduces their versions of the Fantastic Four and X-Men.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh okay, I guess I didn't consider "the status quo remained the same" when it came to spoilers.

Wouldn't it be really confusing to audiences to set Ant Man 2 before Infinity War, but release the movie afterwards? At least with GOTG2 it didn't matter so much since it takes place off in space, but with these two it might cause problems.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I agree the general consensus seems to be "Oh, it'll be set before Infinity War!" but Marvel generally goes for "each thing is happening after the other thing" (as mentioned, GtGV2 is a bit of a cheat that nobody really noticed) and considering that Infinity War is such a huge deal it'd be weird if "You know that crazy movie you saw 2 months ago! It hasn't happened yet and isn't going to be mentioned at all!"

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I mean the first Ant-Man did pretty well at advertising itself without drawing any attention to the fact that Scott breaks into the Avengers HQ. There's ways to focus on the film without drawing attention to its broader MCU ties.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And if that's the case, then IW technically spoils AM2.

Not so much "status quo" but the central conflict of the BP film with his rule being challenged by the guy with the gold Black Panther suit.

Not exactly the same thing, though- the Avengers connection was one scene in AM1, not the basis of the movie. Pretty easy to market around that. But with the whole "who will survive IW?" thing being spread around, we know Scott will survive. And with AM2 trailers definitely attached to IW, there's no way for IW to avoid that.

They're almost certainly going to build up a new mega-arc like Thanos for Phases 4-6: they've said for the last few years that they have the MCU sketched out until 2028 (ten years being the time span of three phases of films). It may not be a singular thing like a Gauntlet/Thanos scenario but it could be as "simple" as Secret Invasion, Secret Wars, Kree-Skrull War, Annihilation, etc.

However, I do believe Phase IV will be more like Phase One and focus on mostly standalones with an intra-Phase arc ala the Tesseract in Phase One. But as phase V and VI approach, things will be more like Phase Three.

I doubt we'll get FF or X-Men until Phase Five- we already know (or suspect) what the first 5 or 6 films will be in Phase Four (GOTG3, SMH2, DS2, Black Widow... would pretty much assume BP2 at this point as well and, of course, Avengers 5) and they almost certainly have the others in 4 planned out already. Maybe there's room towards the end of the Phase still to slide a new one in ala Spidey and Ant-Man. Still, it seems more likely that they'd take their time with those rather then rush them into an early phase of the new mega arc just because they can.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Also the distinct possibility X-Men or FF will get some setup in a Phase Four film. Peter could be like "man Tony's cool and all but what I would give to work for Reed Richards", or even a small appearance, whether it's something supporting like Natasha in IM2 or something brief like Clint in Thor. But at this point those appearances would most likely be toward the end of Phase 4; Avengers 5 would be a great place.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Is it the same people or just different people trying to do something similar? Either way, heard of that and hope the plot fails epically.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the fourteen people in the world who are dying on the hill of the dc cinematic universe have formed an elaborate cabal to torment disney

or, some dumb stoner at cbr is looking for attention.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I saw that Stan Lee was trending, and the report is that he was rushed to a hospital for shortness of breath and irregular heartbeat. But apparently he’s fine.

I experienced some irregular heartbeat myself when I read that article.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't you worry about Stan. I've met him, so he's had a life well-lived.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Continuing on the road to Infinity War, next up...

Captain America: The First Avenger, released July 22, 2011. Worldwide: $370,569,774 Marvel Studios was still independent.

Going in this film, I was pretty skeptical with Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America because he done so well as the lovable goofball Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four films and I was afraid that I couldn't shake that from my mind. After seeing the film for the first time, it wasn't much of a problem.

Upon my initial viewing of the film, I didn't like it all that much as I felt it was pretty boring and the Red Skull was underwhelming. I felt Captain America didn't live up to the moniker, "The Super Soldier" as I didn't really see anything in the movie that made him "super." I mean, I thought Jason Bourne was more a super soldier. I thought Peggy Carter was the stand out character. The best I thought about the film was the ending when Steve Rogers woke up from his ice nap and broke out of the facility to discover he was in modern day New York City where Nick Fury stands to greet him. And then the post credits scene with The Avengers sizzle reel was electric and got every fanboy pumped and hyped for the Avengers flick.

However, over time and subsequent movies my opinion of the film changed and I find it one of the best origin films as it the foundation and sets the values and principles of Steve Rogers. Captain America's persona was capture in the moment when asked, "Do you want to kill Nazis?" and his response was...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously, "Get this man a shield."

This was the tone setter for the character of Steve Rogers.

Captain America: The First Avenger is the foundation that made Steve Rogers/Captain America the modern age cinematic Superman that Christopher Reeve once held. It's old fashion values and good nature that makes him one of the more endearing character in super hero films. And as such, is arguably the strongest root in the MCU as many of the subsequent films grew out it; specifically the first Infinity Stone is revealed which is a main element in the Avengers film.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nice review.

Captain America The First Avenger sold me on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Those gifs you posted confirmed they nailed the heart of the character, but I believed the moment where Erskine tells Steve not to change and remain a good man, I felt tears. Naturally as a huge Bucky fan I was equally thrilled with Sebastian (and loved the hints at the Winter Soldier.) I've grown to like Hugo as the Red Skull, but for me, Toby Jones completely steals Weaving's thunder as Arnim Zola.

While I wish the attacks on Hydra weren't reduced to a montage to get Steve to become a Capsicle faster, overall, this remains one of my favorite Marvel movies. I also wish Joe Johnston got a chance to direct a Winter Soldier movie. He would have nailed the era/tone perfectly, and I just wanted more of his version of Cap's world. For me, the Captain America movies remain my favorites of the MCU not just because I was huge fan of Cap, Bucky and Falcon, but because they feel closest to their comic counterparts even with the cinematic tweaks.

Hands the mike back to S_S_P...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    CA:TFA is, by far, the most underrated of the MCU films, especially Phase 1.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    In an MCU watch, it actually kind of works best as the 1st film. But it's legit great, so good I wish we had had more time in World War II Cap but it does do a pretty comprehensive and dramatically powerful look at Cap in WWII.

I think when it was announced everyone was just kinda annoyed at the "The First Avenger!" subtitle which seemed like shameless pandering promotion for the Avengers film but that title actually has some thematic depth as well cuz he's the 1st official MCU superhero.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cap 1 really does make for the ideal MCU intro film- it sets up quite a bit and flows nicely into IM1 & IM2 (and then TIH). I think Weaving's Red Skull is underused due to the montage of the film- but he's underappreciated for what he does deliver. Granted, he's probably more interesting before he takes off the mask, but he still chews scenery well even afterwards.

[​IMG]

It was the same FB group- but FB has banned the group now.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Good to hear.

24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i never watched the FF films because they looked so bad so i had no hangup going in

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Or...y’know...racists...