main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I can see an argument for 1-4, then a bunch of line breaks, then 5... but ultimately this is still people giving me crap for my top-3 Disney princesses being:

1) Princess Leia
    2) Shuri
    <space bar><space bar><space bar><space bar><space bar>
    3) Rapunzel

And then arguing #3... the first couple are so good, it doesn't really matter what you put after them...

EDIT: And heels had to go ruin it there, because he's still got terrible taste in movies... liking BvS makes more sense with understanding you liked AoU more than the first one... :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Master_Lok and heels1785 like this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Avengers goes in tier one not because it's a great movie, but because it's so incredibly satisfying to watch.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    it's fun - the stakes just aren't there, really. not like with ultron, and i assume, not like with thanos. they're outnumbered, but i never felt that there was any threat of their losing anything.

maybe it's just me. :p

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I also happen to think it's an extraordinarily well-made movie. Couple of script changes I'm sure could tighten it up a little bit, but same with Black Panther, and those are very minor quibbles.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I never feel they're going to lose anything. And if they do, it'll will get repaired anyway.

Master_Lok, DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, the stakes have been lacking - even in the Avengers you knew Tony would come out of delivering the Nuke to Chitauri (spelling?). If they do not raise the stakes with Infinity War, I'll be a bit bummed. Yet another reason why I want Galactus to show up and feast on earth. Suddenly imagines how properly nuts it would be if Hickman wrote an Avengers screenplay.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    you have the macaroons to use judge judy gifs against me

your lack of honour is worse than previously thought

MrZAP, Master_Lok, dp4m and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    @dp4m: The villain in both Winter Soldier and Avengers was incredibly idiotic.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Counterpoint...

[​IMG]

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Their plan was to launch pre-emptive missile strikes at anyone who they flagged as even being ideologically disagreeable, including those in densely populated civilian areas of industrialized nations. Also, the tracking was entirely by online media presence, because apparently nothing has ever happened outside the internet.

Even without the existence of any superheroes at all, this plan would have lasted for all of a few days.

Do you really want me to dignify the other film with a response? The one with some guy slathered in barbecue sauce and a bunch of re-spawning video game goons?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'll just sum this up for everyone who hasn't seen you in these threads before:

Me trying to patiently explain everything you get wrong watching pop-culture movies:

[​IMG]

You, processing data:

[​IMG]

Your Response:

[​IMG]

People in the thread (except heels):

[​IMG]

heels:

[​IMG]

So, I just saved us some time...

[​IMG]

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This brings back memories from Game of Thrones season 7.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That's a top 5 dp4m post right there.

dp4m likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I peaked too soon for 2018 Post Of The Year nomination... :(

MrZAP and Master_Lok like this.
  17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    You can always make your case later in the year. :p

PCCViking likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think the villain/antagonist in Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one of the best that the MCU has to offer.

[​IMG]

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Continuing on the road to Infinity War, next up, Thor: The Dark World.
    Released: Nov. 8, 2013 - Worldwide Box Office: $644,571,402

Right off the bat, I'm going to say Thor: The Dark World is in my bottom 2-3 films of the MCU. And that's for a simple reason, it's not a character driven film.

Thor: The Dark World was plagued with production problems from the get go, as it originally hired Wonder Woman director, Patty Jenkins, but left because of the standard "standard creative difference" issue, where she wanted the film to be a Romeo and Juliet-esque space opera film. In this BuzzFeed article, Jenkins said,
    As result of Jenkins departure, it was widely reported that co-star Natalie Portman was very upset but stayed on the film because of contract obligations as noted this Hollywood Reporter article, that also notes that insiders say there wasn't a script when Patty Jenkins was hired.
    The studio settled on hiring Alan Taylor as the director for The Dark World. Who years later after directing the film described his experience with Marvel as "wrenching" as stated in this UpRoxx article:
    In another article with the Huffington Post, Alan Taylor discussing the "Tug-Of-War" over the film with the studio.
    The article goes on to cover the additional scenes where Tom Hiddleston was brought back to the set for additional scenes.
    Kevin Feige said in an interview with Movies.com, the additional Loki footage was actually inspired by the movie's tie-in comic.
    This was brought about when Alan Taylor said that Joss Whedon was brought in to "save the film" cited in an interview with SFX Magazine (via Collider).
    So, the production problems with Thor: The Dark World sounds like the Justice League film, with has a director depart the project; studio interfering with the director's vision of the film; Joss Whedon coming to help with the film's humor and rewrites.

So, the film had a lot of red flags with the production problems and rewrites, so going into the film I was skeptical but yet hopeful.

I personally didn't mind the film's exposition in the beginning, especially the battle between the Dark Elves and Thor's grandfather, Bor. It was pretty epic and I'd hope to see more of that world and all out battle between Thor, Loki, The Warriors 3 and an army of Asgardians and Malekith and the Dark Elves army at the end of the film that would be more epic than the opening. Of course, that did not happen.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, The Dark World isn't a character driven movie as it's more a "MacGuffin"/plot device driven film where the main character reacts to the plot device rather drive the movie forward by his own convictions. And thus, The Dark World is a mediocre super hero flick.

To elaborate, Thor isn't given much to do internally in the story. He just does the super hero thing. I mean, there aren't really any memorable Thor character moments. There's the part where he gets on the London Tube and where he smashes that rock guy in the beginning of the film.

[​IMG]

Other than that, The Dark World is Loki's film, as he more effected by Figga's death than Thor. I mean, that scene where Loki truly reveals himself was the emotional peak of the movie.
    [​IMG]

Loki also had the best levity scene:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And the "romantic relationship" between Thor and Jane had very little chemistry and overshadowed by Lady Sif's unrequited feelings for Thor. I mean, I felt more tension and heat coming off of Sif for Thor and than anything demonstrated by Jane. In the trailer, this gif below of Sif was cut to appear the look on her face was directed as Jane, and thus creating a love triangle. That would have been interesting.
    [​IMG]

But don't get me wrong, I don't think The Dark World is a bad film. There are alot of good action pieces and Thor rocking his hammer. And think the action pieces and Loki are the saving graces of the film. The Kurse was pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

And I like Kat Denning's character as she has that youthful spirit and fun energy.
    [​IMG]

I just don't think The Dark World is a Thor driven film, as Loki steals the film and Thor doesn't really have any growth or story arc.

Thor: The Dark World is an entertaining popcorn flick, but does not stand out as one of the better MCU films or a signature Thor film because it's not really about him. It's about the Aether Infinity Gem more than anything else as it is the centerpiece and drives the film. And that's just the reality of the film. (Pun intended)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    @dp4m Thanks! I forgot about Carter Burwell.

dp4m likes this.
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Fantastic write up, @Sith_Sensei__Prime

I think the Loki-as-Cap gag might be my favorite gag in the MCU

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Go see Spider-Man: Homecoming

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    everytime you say that, I add a week to my procrastination.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Go see Spiderman: Homecoming.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.