main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The best thing about Age of Ultron was how Ultron's motivation for destroying humanity was spending ten seconds on the internet.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, look, one of the Avengers screenwriters actually watched Jessica Jones! (also this is a big interview with them re. infinity war but Netflix Marvel getting a shout-out)

http://www.slashfilm.com/infinity-war-writers-interview/2/

Stephen McFeely: What I want to point out, is that my favorite two [villains] in the entire MCU are Loki and Kilgrave, because he’s creepy and awful, but really cares in a strange way.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Although it does give us an idea of the durability and power of vibranium. First off, it took a direct and sustained blast from a god and a friggin Infinity Gem to melt it slightly...:eek:

Also that Ultron was able to create an Extinction Level WMD using less than 500lbs of the stuff! (Black Panther indicates that Klaue made off with one-quarter ton of vibranium; less what Ultron used to create Ultron Prime and the Vision)

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm yeah, I kinda agree about the Vader/Grievous thing. I was definitely expecting Ultron to be more Vader-like, instead of what we got. Is the Ultron that we got necessarily a bad thing...well, I guess I can't decide now. I do still like this film though...maybe it's because it's their second outing, but it feels like the characters fit together more naturally than they did in the first Avengers.

5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes when disrespecting the MCU's resident bow hunter Hawkguy is the preferred nomenclature.

Master_Lok likes this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    the way Ultron's mouth was drawn in the comics i always thought he'd be more ...screamy, instead he was calm basically

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I did like how Whedon wrote him as excessively chatty. I like excessively chatty killer robots, it's pretty fun.

Also doesn't Spider-Man find the prime Ultron head in a Damage Control stashaway?

[​IMG]

That makes slightly less sense to me considering you'd figure it'd be an Ultron sentry head. (and they're using Ultron sentry parts to make Vulture crew's weapons). Although it doesn't have to be the final final Ultron head, he goes through at least one body in between V.1 and the final one (that he tears apart in front of Black Widow to make a dramatic point)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I heard that they basically just made Ultron into Reddington from The Blacklist. True?

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Only so much as you have the same playfully, slightly sinister, arrogance, monologuing and chiding from Spader. Ultron is much more erratic on top of that, though. So while the actor brings some similar qualities into the mix, they’re the qualities you would want/expect him to bring with his casting.

I do wish Strucker has been given a larger role in the film- he was offed way too early. Especially with all his offscreen build-up on AOS.

As for Stark’s villains, well, they usually are all tech-based (except for Actual Mandarin- but even certain key stories with him involve magic-driven tech), either they be armored suits like Iron Monger and Whiplash, enhanciles like Extremis and the Living Laser or specialty tech suits like Ghost.

The irony here being that Ultron’s origin was imported to Stark from Pym in the jump to the screen (so I guess it’s fair that Ant-Man gets Ghost in exchange).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Style-wise you could say they did, copying Red's chatty-amiability-juxtaposed-with-threats-and-menace; then again, Reddington from The Blacklist is simply Orson Wells' Harry Lime from The Third Man & radio serial The Lives of Harry Lime, right down to the Fedora.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    And
    Looks Chris Evans is officially done with Cap after Avengers 4 reshoots "For now, he has no plans to return to the franchise (“You want to get off the train before they push you off,” he said), and expects that planned reshoots in the fall will mark the end of his tenure in the familiar red, white and blue super suit."
    We kind of knew that.

...and now we know where Henry Cavill's mustache went...:p

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that's the reason why I felt the farm scene in Age of Ultron was an item on a checklist was because of Renner's complaint of the treatment in Hawkeye in the original Avengers flick. I mean, Fury, Black Widow and Hawkeye would know any numerous amounts of safe house locals that were off the books, but the ended up at Hawkeye's farm. Moreover, since Hawkeye didn't get mind **** by Wanda, he got the farm scene. So we could check off Hawkeye from the "needs more character background" material of the list like the rest of the Avengers. Again, the dialogue between Clint and his wife really didn't fit as it paints the idea that Hawkeye is the key/glue member of the Avengers team. Bizarre creative decision.

Also, the Natasha and Bruce relationship felt so forced and out of place, it felt like something that Whedon wanted to add in, as if he had a checklist of things he wanted. It really didn't help the overall narrative of the film, and hurt the story more than it helped. And as @The2ndQuest pointed out earlier, the thing about Natasha's inability to have children is "monster" like, created alot of backlash and indeed ruin the film to a certain degree.

Yeah, the Iron Legion plays into the Tony's motivation to protect the world by creating an Iron suit to cover the world. However, the way Iron Man 3 ended, where he did an "Order 66" on his "House Party Protocol" whereby he destroyed all his suits of armor is in contradiction so when we last saw the character. It's a minor thing, but it's not a smooth transition from Iron Man 3 to Avengers: Age of Ultron.

But, in some ways, I think Age of Ultron would work better as Iron Man 4. As I mentioned previously, Phase II didn't build up to Age of Ultron the same way Phase I built up to the original Avengers film or the way Phase III is building up to Infinity War. As @The2ndQuest posted earlier, Nick Fury and Agent Coulson really helped with the "Avengers Initiative." Meaning, Phase I was building towards creating the Avengers. And the Avengers movie was a perfect closure to Phase I, as it was pretty much a completion of the story arc of Phase I. Of course, Phase III is the completion of all the Phases with Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet. Age of Ultron really didn't feel like a fitting closure to Phase II, but a set up for three with Hulk and Thor leaving the scene. Moreover, Age of Ultron closed with a new Avengers team. (Which Whedon wanted to include Captain Marvel). And of course, we don't actually see Cap say, "Avengers Assemble!"

[​IMG]

I don't have Age of Ultron, nor do I think it's a bad film. However, I don't feel it has a strong central plot as it's mired with all these poor subplots and it wasn't a good closure to Phase II.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In many ways, that season's Agents of SHIELD was a better buildup to Age of Ultron than the Phase II movies.

14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    It was? I seem to just remember the show going on its own thing, and then suddenly *blam* they drop in the mention of Sokovia and evil robots and that was about it.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think Merk was referring to hunting down Hydra assets and bases, which was treated as a big deal. Makes it seem like there was a reason to be hunting for them going into "Age Of Ultron", rather than they're just happening to have done so, if you didn't watch the show.

16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh okay, I remember now. I dunno, that still felt to me like a rather weak and contrived buildup, if it counted as one. Anyway, it doesn't seem to me like Phase 2 is the odd one out...I don't think any of them really did much buildup to a climax. With all three it's just the heroes doing their own thing, and then all the sudden Loki/Ultron/Thanos shows up and they have to band together to defeat the threat.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Agreed. Nice call on Age of Ultron as a more of an Iron Man 4. Civil War felt more like an Avengers movie than AoU did. It's kind of a shame that Infinity War and/or Avengers 4 has to wipe the mess of Clint's MCU life clean, so he can actually have a good arc and not just have a few great action moments and one-liners.

I disliked Natasha until Winter Soldier and completely ignored her in AoU. Markus and McFeeley know how to write Black Widow, as they do many of the Avengers, whatever Whedon was trying to do with Black Widow was an epic fail (as @The2ndQuest pointed out earlier); it was obvious Joss couldn't write the entire team (Cap, Natasha, Clint being the prime examples) nor a truly menacing villain. Though another reason why I love the Captain America movies is due to the villains; sometimes O.T.T. / other times very subtle). For me, the subtle villains have worked best in the MCU (such as Pierce, Ego, Obediah - and interestingly, I just realized that these are portrayed by mature actors).

I'll stop my tangent right here as you'll probably say something far more eloquent than I will about this.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I maintain that Civil War is certainly Avengers-y but I think at it's core it's still a Cap film, he just happened to run up against his Avengers co-workers.

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I can finally agree with that perspective. It took several viewings of Civil War to convince me, but that's on point.

and interview with Don Cheadle about Rhodey.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I feel I should clarify that I wouldn't classify what Whedon was trying to do in AOU as "an epic fail". However, it wasn't successfully executed either, and the various factors that went into that result (lack of introduction, editing down the "monster" scene so people could take it the wrong way and get outraged at the implications, etc) did undermine the film when the focus shifted to it, or was required to rely on it.

The Ultron reference was "blam" and done and over with, but even with the Inhumans subplot running throughout the season, you had the first half of the season primarily focusing on SHIELD vs Hydra in the aftermath of Winter Solider, then more backstory into the fall of SHIELD during the SHIELD vs SHIELD arc, then the full-on focus on eliminating the various HYDRA factions and leaders down to just Strucker (who stays offscreen until the film) and Dr List (who appears in both the show and film), plus the reveal that their major unified offensive against List's base was to retrieve the location of the Scepter so that they could alert the Avengers (and kick off the film), plus the background Theta Protocol subplot was a major point in the SHIELD vs SHIELD arc- later revealed to be the origin of the mothballed helicarrier in AOU (though they should have revealed that before the movie came out, iMO).

So, while it didn't do a good job of connecting to the Ultron plot, it did focus pretty heavily on setting up and leading into the opening sequence of events in the film, as well as explaining an otherwise conveniently appearing helicarrier in the climax.

21. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I feel like every time Agents of SHIELD tries to mention the movie events, it just seems really awkward. It just draws attention to the fact that Coulson and company are the B-team. Not to mention that the tone of the show is much more dark and somber compared to the movies which still feel rather lighthearted that they don't even feel like part of the same universe.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Nope, ‘epic fail’ was my opinion not yours - my bad. And I stand by that thought.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Indeed. There was nothing progressive about the threat they faced in Avengers. Some guy pretty randomly decides to steal some thing that opens a portal to let out endless bad guys. We didn't know of such a portal, we didn't know the thing allowed him to do that, we didn't know that those bad guys are particularly bad, the heroes mostly don't know one another, and the only villain that any of them have a connection to is not the endless bad guys that constitute the movie's man threat, which the film itself acknowledges.

So really, what was "set up" at all?

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Someone definitely feels and encourages the notion that AOS and the MCU stand in alternate, separate universes. Yes, there's the very real fact that there's a good chunk of people that don't see AOS and - as incredible as it may sound to any of us - don't know that Coulson is alive and well. But to the hardcore fans that do, it is incredibly annoying that he and his team haven't popped up to lend a hand or even say "hi" because of some stupid comment by Whedon about how Coulson being alive lessens the impact of that scene in Avengers 1.

Was Whedon right? Maybe, maybe not. Me, I honestly don't care. I was used to that sorta crap reading comics, even if the execution was more often than not awful. But if from the getgo you wanted to sell your show to the movie audience, at the very least acknowledge both in tv land and the movies that they are part of the same universe. Conflicting movie and tv production schedules be damned, it shouldn't be that hard.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    AOS season 1 managed to run alongside TDW and TWS decently enough. Especially in that one episode where Agent Sitwell is assigned to the Lemurian Star, which presumably was filmed after principal photography of TWS was completed.

I haven’t seen the later seasons yet, so I can’t comment on the connections there.