main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I don't read Marvel comics, but I know through pop culture that when they killed off Captain America he was replaced by Bucky Barnes and he was the new Captain America, right?

With that example in mind, moving forward in the MCU, when beloved characters die in Avengers Infinity War and its sequel what will happen next, in your opinion? What do you think is the most likely scenario?
    Let's say for example Captain America is killed.
    1) An existing hero, possibly Bucky, will become the new Captain America
    2) They'll bring back Steve Rodgers from another universe played by "new actor" and he'll be the new Captain America in the next solo movie
    3) They don't replace Captain America, but now everyone follows Captain Marvel
    4) He'll be replaced for a time until they convince Chris Evans to come back
    5) Someone recreates the super soldier serum and random "new actor" becomes Captain America
    6) Your option

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    My thinking is that Carol Danvers becomes the new "Captain" of the MCU and Peter Parker becomes the Tony Stark. I mean, Civil War and Homecoming has setup Parker to be Stark's protege, especially with the line "I want you to be better."

[​IMG]

Of course, all of this could be changed should the Fox deal go through and the Fantastic Four and X-Men are part the MCU by the start of Phase 4.

Some think that Marvel has already retained the rights to the Fantastic Four because of the deal where Marvel allowed Fox to create the TV shows Legion and The Gifted, as needed Marvel's approval for those shows.

3. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I'm not sure they would make plans to replace one of the current pillars of the franchise with a character they don't have full rights to. There's no guarantee they'll still be able to use Spider-Man beyond his next Avengers movie appearance after IW. That would needlessly hand a lot of leverage to Sony when it's time to sit back down at the bargaining table.

Replacing someone like Cap or Iron Man is going to be more about replacing Tony Stark and Steve Rodgers and what those personalities bring to the movies than anything else. I'm not very familiar with Carol Danvers more recent than her time as Binary. Did she eventually become the sort of character that could serve as a moral compass to the team the way Cap does? Finding someone who can do that in such a compelling way is the challenge to replacing him.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Concerning your assessment of Spider-man, I agree, although Marvel's "Phase 4" begins with "Spider-man Homecoming 2". I feel the true ramifications of the events of the Avengers movies will be felt in it. We'll see who else will be coming Home.

5. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes but I'm talking specifically about his use in future Avengers movies since his role as an Avenger was being speculated on. They do get at least one more opportunity beyond that to use him to shape the MCU in general.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    No one is going to have the same moral compass and values as Captain America. I don't think the MCU will follow the comic books and have either Bucky or Sam take the mantle of Captain America; well, at least right away. From the reports I'm hearing that Phase 4 and the future of the MCU lies in the cosmic. I think Marvel will take a break from Captain America, Thor and perhaps Iron Man and explore more individual films for the time being.

7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm in the minority where i liked the first two Raimi films. Homecoming was a nice movie, but it was like Ultimate Spider-Man. Just had little to do with the stories i read.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They can just recast and not make it part of the plot that they're from another universe or some such. DC films have done it all the time and it'll happen with Wolverine. Could they kill them off? Sure, but it'd be easier to recast. It just all depends.

9. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah they've indicated that there will be a greater emphasis on the cosmic side. I think that is where the team movies will mostly play out and the Earth bound movies will be more solo affairs with a little crossover between some characters now and again. Gunn has said the next GotG movie will be the last with them in their current make-up. I wonder if the roster will simply change or perhaps there will be another group emerge to fill that space. The Eternals were rumored, shot down, and are now rumored again. Maybe Infinity Watch?

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    "Rogers", not "Rodgers", guys.

Diggy and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Sam comes awfully close to Steve's moral compass. And Bucky has a lot of heart too, although, it may take time for him to find it. I'll wait on discussing phase 4 until we have a concrete list of films.

I would politely add to the earlier query above, and say that it is Shuri who becomes the new Tony Stark and Peter would probably be a mix of Tony and Steve.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Captain Marvel is 100% going to replace Captain America as the leader and she’s going to have the same attitude and morals as him. That doesn’t mean Captain America won’t still be in the team with Bucky or Sam taking on the mantle. It’s pretty likely one of them will. And it’s pretty obvious Spider-Man is going to be taking Iron Man’s role. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes over Stark’s business and turns it into Parker Industries. He does something similar with the Fantastic Four in the comics. Doctor Strange and Black Panther will help take the front stage as well.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Shuri as IronHeart could be a thing if they want to keep Iron Man-ing but Tony Stark shuffles off this mortal coil (but is still her AI). However, I am calling as much as Infinity War / Avengers 4 are The End of All Things I really think we're in store for a lot of comic book deaths / Infinity Stone enabled resurrection / post-credit "Hah! They're still alive!" scenes. Like Cap may die but instead of dead dead he's unstuck in time (which is what happened to Steve in the comics post Civil War) while Bucky gets to be Cap for a least a movie. I don't think Hawkeye is going to die because giving him a family in Age of Ultron is almost a free "This character doesn't die" pass because killing off a dad of one of the MCU's few stable, happy, full families seems like a mean move. Black Widow has her own movie to come (but that may be her final one)

I do think Nebula may not make it out, legitimately, in a final confrontation with her father and his minions. Gamora I believe will live to conclude her unspoken thing with Star Lord in GotG Vol 3.

Loki is dead as heck in the first 30 minutes of Infinity War when Thanos shows up but, hey, post-credits trickster God "You know, I've done this faking my own death thing before" probably incoming.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    C'mon, new triumverate is Captain Marvel (Captain America) / Black Panther (Tony Stark) / Doctor Strange (Thor)

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I think Hawkeye's family will stay dead, and he may die avenging them and some of his teammates: a noble way to go out. If he goes Ronin, that would be even more poetic.

As far as comic book deaths and those sticking, we'll see. :p

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is one of those movies that's great to watch with other people who haven't seen it before. The string of predictable one-dimensional villains actually worked in Marvel's favor for this twist.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I wonder if there’s a subtle bit of racial expectations there too. With Liz being dark skinned, you don’t necessarily expect her dad to be white.

But yeah, when Toomes answered the door, my first thought was he’s holding the family hostage.

18. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I thought those were generally the most popular installments of the franchise so far.

I kinda agree that Homecoming feels a little like an AU version of Spider-Man rather than a close adaptation of the real deal (if that makes any sense), but I ironically come to that conclusion given that the Ultimate Spider-Man comics are my first and favorite take of the character on the printed page.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't really much of a fan of Homecoming. I liked what they did with the Vulture and appreciated the diverse casting, but otherwise it was bland as hell.

20. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough. I will concede that it didn't sparkle the way the best of the previous Spidey or MCU movies did.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The "Spider-Man doing Spider-Man things in Queens" montage may be the most Spider-Man thing in any Spider-Man movie so far though...

22. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I just came here to post that. So it seems odd they’d recast her unless they’re wanting her to become Stature already.

24. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Not if they need an older actress for the part in A4 for some reason. Hmmmm ....

25. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Too late to edit this into my previous post but for what it's worth:

Some random claiming the casting news coming out today ended up proving to him that something he was told some time ago was legit.

[​IMG]