main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You, too, can do visual effects in the film industry. (Geekza VFX QnA with Ryan W and Fig)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Teague, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    Hey guys. This episode actually came out in August of last year, and it was mentioned briefly in the Social Thread, but after listening to it again recently, it occurs to me that this is too good of a conversation not to hear - especially if you want to break into the FX industry, or are curious about it. So enjoy this two-hour conversation between Ryan, myself, and a few dozen folks in the chatroom.

[face_dancing]

2. bobaandy123

bobaandy123 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2005
    Look, you can re-post all the old Geekzas you want, but it's not going to be an acceptable substitute to making some new ones.

:)

3. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
  4. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    A highly recommended episode. Even some discussion for us British gentlemen & ladies where things are a little different in the big effects houses - where people are often taken on as runners then trained up in-house, assuming some talent.

5. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Ahhh good times. We ran a bit long, but we were having fun.

FYI for those listening to it for the first time, the URL I mention doesn't work any more, but you can see it here.

6. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    Yeah, we actually ran an hour long, so it's a good two hours total - but a good listen, for that.

7. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    I'm so mad at myself for having fallen asleep before this... awesome episode...

Finally I get to check your reel, Ryan.. it's awesome! The shot where Bennett and the Haitian are walking on a snowy road.. I had no idea it was a bluescreen. Great job on everything

8. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    Oddly enough, that's one of the shots in Heroes where I instantly thought to myself "that's a composite". It was obvious both from a film-making perspective (the characters are in very few scenes in this environment), & from the camera moves that happen (basically pan & tilt). Also, the composite itself doesn't quite sit perfectly for me.

9. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    This is interesting timing for this thread. It so happens that I listened to this podcast on my iPod last night, though I turned it off some ways through when I noticed I was actually starting to fall asleep (after 5:00 AM). It was indeed a good episode, very inspiring. I'm glad I got to be there in the chat room while it was originally recording.

10. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    Only watched it twice, so... never payed much attention to it. Camera was nice.

11. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Agreed. It's the only shot i can actually recall from Heroes which hit me straight away as blue/greenscreen. I can't really criticse the compositing job done though, it was the camera that really gives it away.

Also, i remember that episode of geekza, was really good.

12. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I listened to the first half on my way home. One of your better episodes.

Ryan's voice is different than I expected. Yes. I'm that guy here who has never actually heard him speak. All my interaction with him has ever been through a keyboard.

Anyway, to the topic at hand... It's funny... What you guys describe about how to get a job, and what to show to get a job, and what tools you use once you're there, is literally NO different than what I do for a living. (That would be a programmer, web developer.)

It's all about interviewing well and showing the best of your work. Then, when it comes time to actually DO the work, you deal with the constraints or advantages of the environment. Then you produce by any means that best suit your talents.

In the end, as long as you produce the product the client wants, no one cares what tools you used.

Looking forward to the second half.

13. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Which is probably a good reason why so many programmer guys (myself included) have a hand in vfx.

14. BenMcEwan

BenMcEwan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2008
  15. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    You know, I love fxguide & I love Mike Seymour, but he's clearly not a writer. His spelling and/or grammar is often terrible.

16. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Finished on my ride in...

I liked the part where you talk about freelancing and rates. Again... Very much the way business is done like that across the board. Only I have one other variable I throw in there:
    "How badly do I need the work?" If I'm not that into the job, I charge a LOT more than normal, in hopes that they'll bail. If they don't... fine. I make a lot more money.

You guys both did an excellent job of speaking about your experiences. Anyone who is just starting out can certainly benefit from both of your stories. They are very similar and very different at the same time.
    It was really inspiring and encouraging to hear how you've gone about establishing yourselves. It wasn't just dumb luck. It was a lot of work. Something everyone could learn from.

Makes me wish I was younger. When I was in my early 20's the technology wasn't there yet, if it was, my career would have gone a different way for sure.

Not that I'm complaining. I've still built a great career. But by the time I was able to do spiffy FX, my career was already established in another direction.

I wish you guys the best of luck. You're both doing great!

17. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Great reel!! And great work on the last Heroes.

/Z

18. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    What's the music on Ryan's Reel, by the way?

19. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Roll it Up by Crystal Method.

20. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    Thanks, Ryan. Speaking of it, nice usage of it at the RvD2 Sneak Peek, by the way.

21. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000

Figures....

22. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    Geekza or Ryan's Reel? Both work for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.