main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC You travel back in time five years, and can give yourself one piece of advice

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Mar 12, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Put some money on the cubs

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999

There is essentially no way for you to misunderstand what I have said, and also no way that any of you can seriously think that I condone rape in the slightest. It's annoying that you're pretending that what I have said is awful and horrible, when it's in fact quite mundane. The point is clear; we have "natural" urges, natural meaning they exist in nature, but it doesn't mean that we should act upon them, even if we have the capability.

If any of you try to spin this as, "OZK thinks homosexual sex is as bad as rape" or "OZK wants to rape people", you're doing it to intentionally malign me and pat yourselves on the back for feeling like better people than me, and it's quite dishonest and shameful.

I detest rape and find it abhorrent. I've never had the urge to force sex on someone against their will, and would be surprised if I ever do (although I recognize that as a human being, I am capable of that urge, and because of that, am even more determined not to act upon that urge should it ever arise).

Sarge likes this.
  4. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    College is a waste of time, don't go

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    OZK, why must every single thread you post in turn into this--saying something insane and then defending yourself? Are you incapable of engaging in conversation that doesn't generate some sort of outlandish debate, or using language that doesn't cause an extreme emotional reaction?

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In point of fact, it was easy enough to just ignore him and keep making normal contributions to the thread, like most people, or to make (laughing either at or with him), as posters like Zapdos or EmpireSometimes did. There was nothing inevitable about this, and how it played out is at least as much your fault as his.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Sure, I'll own up to that... but he has to own up to the fact that his posts are crafted with the intent of generating emotional responses and leading to uncomfortable debate, in which he shoves his moral beliefs down the throats of people he's conversing with.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just read his last post as "i feel compelled to rape", which i was taken aback by. to say rape is a natural urge, but then to clarify and say that you've never felt that urge seems pretty disingenuous to me and i would hope would lead to no one ever taking that person seriously again ever.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh, OZK that was a rather huge miscalculation on your part. I saw what you were trying to get at, but it was not only wrong but it was wrong-headed too. So unless your goal was to insta-lose any argument you are ever making, you shouldn't have said that. Moreover, if you really *do* think that way that's another problem entirely... because there's nothing natural about extreme violence towards another human being. That's about as unnatural as you can get.

Anyway -- I *would* say something like we should drop this line of discussion because it's going to lead to nothing good, but seeing as it's already gotten there --- yeah, back to your regularly scheduled topic now. Train's been wrecked, but what can you do?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's what I always tell the emergency workers.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Has anyone ever called you mentally unstable before? Or a psycho? Just curious.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    x2.

13. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Wow please stop.

Also who the hell is juli?

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Some mod favorite

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Don't forget your 2013 copy of Gray's Sports Almanac.

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Depends on what you mean by natural. I find violence contrary to natural law and therefore abhorrent. But it's definitely a "natural" human urge, in that people frequently and commonly have the urge and act on it.

The same from my last post applies. I very clearly and often enough have said how horrible I find rape. It is obvious from the words I said and context that I was not saying I felt personally compelled to rape, or that I thought it was okay that people have the urge. Anyone who find my words so awful is intentionally misinterpreting me because you have severe disagreements with my philosophy towards life and ethics.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Edit: Never mind.

18. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    The OP is actually a very good question because 2009-2012 were the worst years of my life. So many sad memories from that time period. I wouldn't even know what to tell myself if I can go back to 2008 and warn young-me about all of it.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    He felt free discussing it, talked about it, and then, while he mentioned dropping it, did not give the order, and specifically said that he was not giving the order.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's not how I read it, but I'll defer to a follow-up from him, I suppose.

21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Five years ago I had a friend who smelled really bad. We would all tell him he smelled horrible, but he would just say "I don't smell anything". It was a huge ordeal, trying to get him to acknowledge that he stank, but he just wouldn't admit it.

If I could go back in time I would just stop being his friend and ignore him instead of wasting my time trying to argue with him.

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    These zealot virgins...boy, they sure creep the beJESUS out of me. :confused:

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ramza's reading was correct. Back to the topic everyone.

24. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I'd also give myself a list of all of the major disasters and the time/date they happen so that I can beat Juliet to posting a thread about them. I was just as misanthropic back then so the change wouldn't be as noticeable.

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    In 2005 I would have said slow down so you don't get that ticket.