main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC You Tube blogging jobs

Discussion in 'Community' started by jamminjedi23, Apr 17, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I wonder how good these jobs really are? I'm talking about the people working at Collider and Screen Junkies and places like that. Basically I hear that people definitely don't get into it for the money but instead for the love of social media and the material they are covering. If you watch Collider and look at the behind the scenes stuff they occasionally put up they are basically working in what looks like old storage buildings.

I'm wondering though if these are full time jobs that people do or if they have to have other regular jobs on top of that in order to make ends meet. They definitely aren't making anymore than your average working stiff (and likely less in a lot of cases) but on the other side they get to make money doing something they have a real passion for.

Wonder how good those jobs really are?

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Not as good as once was. Depending on how professional they are and the success of the channel, it might be full time.

3. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

True. Collider is the main one I watch and I know many of them do other things on the side. I know Mark Ellis is a professional comedian and John Schnepp is a director (albeit not real well known). Most others work in the entertainment industry in some way as well.

4. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Usually the vlogging leads to other opportunities such as collaborations or ad revenue, which is where the money really is. My understanding, from a beauty blogger, is that she gets roughly 1USD for every 100k views on her videos.

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I believe the common expectation is one dollar per 1,000 views and that's about what my YT does. Never bothered to check that before because the revenue is so laughable but I did just now.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Also I think most of the jobs for video blogging are based around the L.A. area. And knowing how expensive things are there the people working at those sites are likely living at near poverty level (unless they have income from some other means) and are doing it out of the pure love of the media.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    A lot of youtubers are supported by crowdfunding through services like Patreon.

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

True. However I'm not really talking about the individual youtube sites (as you know they don't make anything). I'm more talking about the youtubers that work for the .com sites.

9. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    John Campea said a few months back on one of weekend mailbags I think that they make a lot of their money on the shows the produce for other platforms (Film-HQ and Awesometacular). The other sites pay them to produce the shows for them.