main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's not true. The folks at Superman Homepage have a connection on the inside and they report that Singer is not doing a WWII film. He's getting ready to start working on the next film.

2. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Hello everyone
    I thought it was great I've watched it so many times that I lost track of the number. I loved the fact they made him seem mortal. The plane scene was just a great hello I'm back scene.
    Yes they have done it before but not like this after all it made it almost realistic as to what would happen if he did do something like that.
    POTC2 was really good also and I will admit the effects where better but superman's story trumpped POTC2's.
    I'd hate it if they replaced the cast or crew. Maybe with more funding they could improve the SE more.
    Oh brains would be cool but I'd much rather see a new zoid like character or even
    Doomsday. Although if they do Doomsday they should kill sups as well and do his reserection in 3 but since this was returns they won't do that.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Rumorville from Superman Homepage.

With all the news and rumors surrounding the sequel to Superman Returns lately, another rumor has come to hand regarding possible ideas being discussed for the movie.
    As is the way with rumors, these come from someone who knows someone who supposedly works at Warner Bros., and should therefore be taken with a grain of salt...

The script has not yet been written, but discussions are being bounced around in regards to the major villains being Metallo and Brainiac.

Apparently the "Bank Gunner" from Superman Returns (the guy who shot Superman in the eye) will be the man who becomes/gets turned in to Metallo. It's unknown if he'll be referred to as John Corben or not.

The rumor goes on to state that Metallo does something pretty major in his huge battle with Superman which catches the attention of an alien orb in space (aka Brainiac), directing its attention towards Earth.

Again, these are unsubstantiated rumors and should be taken as nothing more at this point in time.

4. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just saw this for the first time on HBO. I have no idea what I could say that has not already been covered, but this flick was excellent and I was surprisingly emotional throughout it.

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I can't believe that we're a week away from a year for it.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, I normally don't come to this board but maybe I should. Having become kind of the obligatory poster in JCC or Amph threads about Superman, especially SR, I feel I should drop in here.

VLM, I'm really glad you got to see it and liked it. I think you hit on the thing that, to me, just makes it a step above most other superhero flicks... it really affected me. I completely don't understand people who clamour for non-stop action and pure unbridled "entertainment" from comic book films.

I just don't. Yeah, they have action, but if they just had that, they'd be completely pointless. To me, SR really has heart. It's a beautiful film. That's something I'm not sure I can say of hardly any other comic film. SR is just beautiful and touches me in a way I can't really describe. And I'm pretty sure it has at least 45 minutes of solid action. That's plenty, seriously.

Maybe it's just me because I don't need films to move at breakneck pace all the time and actually prefer the personal stuff to tons of action. I mean, if I could chose between another action scene in SR and more scenes with Clark especially, I would absolutely have taken the latter.

I'm so glad it's on in HD now. Watching the DVD over and over is great, but seeing it in HD is fantastic.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

I could not agree more. As it pertains to comic book to movie I have read and heard people say they would rather just have the action instead of the emotions and love stories. That tells me that they have either never read the comics or they did and didn't get it. It is the human condition that makes books, comics, movies, and tv, and any story in any genre worthwhile. Science fiction gets to sort of sneak the human condition within. You go to see those space ships, those laser beams, super powers, and you get hit with a love story you were not expecting.

I find it funny that Singer says a sequal will be "Wrath Of Khan". ST2 was no doubt an action movie, but if anyone thinks that's all it was then they are less human than they think.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, "Wrath Of Kahn" is known not only as an action piece, but as a sequel that is considered superior to the original film. "The Motion Picture" set up the story and brought us into the new status quo, but was criticized (sp) for being too long, boring and slow. When the second film came out, it was hailed as being more like the original series, while kicking things up a notch.

I do agree with your assessment that there are those who only care more for the action than for the emotional, dramatic parts.

10. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Solojones???

an excellent post..couldn't have said it better myself.

Vaderslament: you saw SR on HBO?? how did you manage that? I have all the HBO channels..and haven't even seen it advertised yet?? or is it only the HD movies..

oooohhh I'd love to see SR in HD...that would be fantastic

11. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I got all lumpy-in-throaty a few times in the theatre. Great casting.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh...oops. I meant Cinemax. Teehee. :D

13. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I would rather see more science fiction in the next Superman sequel than the love story. The whole return to Krypton story that was barely touched upon in the movie was what fascinated me the most. I'd see a whole 2 hr long movie with just that. A love story should be left as a subplot in Superman movie. It should be a given...an element of the film but not what it is all about.

14. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well there is a chance the "Return to Krypton" scenes that were cut from SR could become flashbacks for the next film.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, that would be nice. We'd better get some explanation for why they weren't on the DVD...

VLM, yeah, I think people grossly misjudge what makes comic books good and thus what is important for comic book films. Superman's appeal isn't just in his power. That's one of the biggest mistakes detractors make about the character. Singer has done an excellent job of hitting on the themes of humanity, isolation, and the struggle to balance your own needs with those of others... the kinds of things that really make the character great.

I was re-reading some AICN interviews with Brandon Routh the other day, and I really loved what he said in one of them: "I think the more he becomes like us, the better he becomes capable to serve and teach us about all the great things that he can be to inspire us."

I think that's at the heart of why this Superman film works so well for me. Singer understands that Superman is not some distant, inaccessible creature. He's a guy with a mom and a farm and an incredible Kryptonian heritage and duty to others.

I feel like all those comic book movies that are just pure, cheesy, popcorn-crunching action flicks are going to fade out so quickly. But films like SR, BB, and X2... they understand that if you want to do something more than just have a huge opening weekend, you have to understand the real drama inherent in these stories and characters.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Agreed. It seems like unless its a Graphic Novel or Batman, people just can't take it seriously. Which is unfortunate because if you can read between the lines there is so much drama under the surface. On occasion you don't even need to dig that deep for drama and the human condition.

It does break my heart that you don't include SM2 on your list though. :( However I realize by now that SM is not something you can sell to everyone, so I have stopped trying, and sadly the whole series seems significantly diminished after SM3. :(

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, well I might include it... In honesty, I don't think I've seen it since it was in theatres. I don't really remember it that much. But part of that might just be me because I've never been much of a Spiderman fan.

Then again, I didn't use to be much of a Superman fan, either :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Spider-man is similar to Superman in that he is often misunderstood. Sadly he is the opposite as Superman is underappreciated by many and these days Spider-man is the victim of too much hype. Like Superman it comes down to his character. Many people focus on the wild things he can do and while those are often the subject of much eye candy, its the personality, philosophy and cast of regulars that have always made Spider-man such a selling point for me.

Personally I recomend Bendis' vission of the character in the Ultimate line. Some complain that the series isn't really Spider-man because its a reimagining and so much of his story has been thrown out and changed. I argue the character and story aren't changed, just streamlined to eliminate all the muddled continuity and various writers' interpretations of what Spidey should be. geez I am off on a tangent again. My point is that if you were interested in getting to know the best parts of spidey Ultimate Spider-man often highlights what's great about the character and his story. While its not accurate tot he 616 continuity its a great launching point.

And hey were you ever to have any questions about the character, I am always a PM away. ;)*

*DISCLAIMER: I can't pretend to know everything about the character, but I am familiar with enough resources that if I don't know something I can either find the answer or point you in the direction to find it yourself if you'd rather.[/Fanboy Tangent]

19. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Superman Returns isn't that great. Its an average movie with a weak derivative plot saved fortunately by a few good scenes and a few good soundbites. I don't need wall to wall action scenes, but at least make it interesting in between parts. I've seen and read plenty of Superman stories and this incarnation was far from the best.

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    What action except for the Boeing 747 and New Krypton that's all the action. It's more dialogue-based if anything and that's good to some degree.

21. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    The Bank Robbery bit and Kitty losing control of her car while short were pretty intense. I particularly love the shot of him putting the car down. :D I think I actually "sqee"d like a school girl.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You're entitled to that opinion, Panther. But personally I didn't find any of the "dialogue scenes" in between to be boring. Maybe I just really like straight dramas as well as action flicks, but it never bores me a bit.

Spiderfan, I agree about too much hype around Spider-Man. It was new and novel to have movies about him, and people kind of ate it up, and there's tons of kids-centric marketing... I feel you on that.

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/Commander_Thigh/Other/daddysofficeisboring.jpg]
    "Daddy's office is boring?"

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I love when they're on top of the Daily Planet. Classic.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Truly. There are just some priceless subtle moments in there. I think my favourite is after she tries to kiss him then stops, and he's going to leave... Her just starting to say, "I-"... his expression in reaction is so fantastic. His eyes just kind of narrow a little and he shakes his head ever so slightly. Just a perfect moment.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.