main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Young Han Solo trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The Crispin novels are the only old EU books I haven't read and am surprised I haven't read. ... Hmmm... maybe Tatooine Ghost too? And I guess also Tales from the New Republic and Tales from the Empire but also not really because 90% of the time I forgot those two even existed.

It's weird because my brother had the SFBC hardcover of all three (that's apparently missing a Rebel Dawn epilogue) and he gave it to me and it was always sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to get around to it. It's long gone now, but I did read Crispin's young Captain Jack Sparrow book a couple years back. It had a well-constructed plot but the pacing wasn't very good and the writing was... serviceable? It didn't exactly motivate me to one day read the Han Solo Trilogy. Am I crazy? Am I doing it wrong?

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The Crispin books are fine.

AusStig likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I formally endorse reading the Crispin trilogy. They're very much worth reading. As are the Tales from books.

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I really like Han Solo Trilogy. I think it is fun and an interesting 'lower decks' star wars story, it shows some great parts of Hans life and I also think Bria is a good character (better then Jyn) because she chooses to go to rebellion, she chose to stay their and do dark things because she believes in the cause. I liked it. Also giving Han another love interest is fine I don't see why it is an issue. When we see him in ANH he is worldly and has 'experience' in life. So it fits.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Be awesome if they have it a new, unabridged audiobook treatment. Any word or possible rumor of that happening?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

AusStig likes this.
  7. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Never thought of it that way, but you're right that "lower decks story" is a big part of the appeal to me. The fact that it's used as a vehicle to explore the underworld of the GFFA is a big part of the appeal to me. (I liked Xizor and Durga a lot more here than I did in their original novels, for one thing).

Good point about the Rebellion. A Bria Tharen/Winter Retrac series of stories (probably not a whole book series, but comics or anthology) set in the early days of the Rebel Alliance is one of the things I would've loved to get out of the old expanded universe.

AusStig likes this.
  8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Yeah that would be great

9. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Would that be the second Legends material to get an actual reprint besides the Thrawn trilogy?

10. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I think the Lando and Han Solo Adventures got new covers and maybe a new introduction after the Legends thing went down

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

11. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    I didn't like Paradise Snare at all. Enjoyed the hell out of The Hutt Gambit, and haven't read the third one. How is Scoundrels?

12. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Ya know after seeing Solo: A Star Wars story, Scoundrels might be reconcilable, unfortunately this trilogy of books is not. I thought Rebel Dawn might survive, but it would take a lot reckoning. It almost seems like Q'ira is loosely based on Bria. If "Solo" gets a sequel it would pretty much make reconciling Rebel Dawn impossible.

Ultimately I didn't think Solo was that bad. Except for the fact I thought Han was miscast, and that needless feminist agenda rearing its head again, I enjoyed it.

So, I guess bye, bye, book trilogy?

kalzeth likes this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Well Rogue One already did Rebel Dawn in, or at least its ending.

What feminist agenda? The female characters aren't exactly treated especially well by the writing in this.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  14. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    The books still exist. If you read them, then you have had the chance to enjoy two different versions of events that made Han Solo the man we first encounter in the original 1977 Star Wars movie. I had fun with the books; and then subsequently had fun watching the new movie. And now, the books still exist. The word "canon" is a swear word, as far as I'm concerned.

15. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Someone sneezes the wrong way and all of a sudden its OMG this movie is saturated in feminist agenda and SJW agenda. I'm sure someone will complain that there's an SJW agenda because they cast a black man to play Lando Calrissian, what's the world coming to, ect.

Jedi Ben and jSarek like this.
  16. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    :rolleyes:

jSarek likes this.
  17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Still my all-time favorite SW books.

19. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

Or not, the plans on Toprawa that Bria and the rebels were trying to transmit were fake. Same thing with the plans on Danuta (Dark Forces) and the ones rumored to be on the Death Star itself (BF2). That is why Mon Mothma and Bail were reluctant to commit forces to Scarif. They had been fooled three times before. =D=

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    And to add onto this, Alex Newborn's chapter on Brian Daley's contributions to the EU is one of the strongest entries in the A More Civilized Age collection, particularly because he draws from personal correspondence he had with Daley before Daley died.

21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Because I'm a fan, and I gotta pick nits:

Along the way, he meets a memorable cast of fellow fringe members of galactic society, encounters a string of feisty proto-Leias who first find him off-putting but finally fall for him, and invariably finds his deep-seated sense of self-interest coming into conflict with his barely submerged moral code.

Actually, one thing I thought was cool about that trilogy is that they didn't really follow the standard girl-of-the-week format. Jess from the first book pretty much fits the bill, being a woman that he's had an on-again off-again relationship with and that he hooks up with at the end again. With Fiolla in the second book, there's lots of flirting, but nothing actually happens. By the third book, you've got Hasti, where not only does nothing happen, she actually shoots him down as well as the entire concept of girl-in-every-port relationships, especially viewed from the woman's point of view. It's a nice touch that's deeper than what you might usually find in pulp stories like this.

kalzeth, Havac , Sarge and 2 others like this.
  22. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005
    As things have played out, I think it best to think of Solo as if were "Legends." Here are my reasons.

Because of how poorly the film performed at the box office all plans for sequels have been scrapped. And by itself this film gives us an incomplete story of Han's past. It feels like the first chapter of a book. And it seems highly unlikely it will be completed. As opposed to the two young Han Solo book trilogies which do give us a complete back story for Han Solo! [face_dancing]

Best to consider Solo as a failed experiment, unfortunately.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's hasn't been confirmed that there were ever sequels planned for Lucasfim to scrap. There were definitely plot threads left hanging, but assuming they were left there solely to lay groundwork for direct sequels is only speculation at this point.

In any event, given how good Solo actually turned out to be I personally find it difficult to call it "failed," regardless of the box office take or lack thereof.

Sarge likes this.
  24. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Yeah, I enjoyed Solo, and if a couple years down the road they put out a follow-up book, comic, or Disney+ series or something, I think there would be a lot of excitement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  25. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005
    According to one report, Alden Ehrenreich was signed up for three films, meaning they were apparently planning a trilogy. It is unlikely now, that that will happen. Another reason that I might choose the book trilogies over this film is the controversial altering of Lando's character............that did get a lot of fans upset. [face_blush]

kalzeth likes this.