main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Young Indy has a street date and Cover Art!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DarthLowBudget, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
  2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    All right! Slightly disappointed it's not being release under the name "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." Hopefully the bonus material will include a documentary about the history of the show. I wonder if we'll get an update from IndianaJones.com tonight with the box art and details of Vol. 1's content?

3. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh God I hope so.

4. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    It's being released in 3 volumes? Well that's certainly good news. I heard a while back they'd all be released on separate discs like one or two episodes per disc, and cost an obscene amount of money each.

5. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, let's see, they've been edited down to 22 feature length episodes, so divide by three...that works out to two discs of 7 episodes and one disc of 8 episodes. It's anyone's guess as to which DVD holds the extra episode.

I hope though, that the DVD sets present the episodes chronologically, as I would hate to see them divided up piecemeal like the latest James Bond sets.

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    What? I thought there were 44 original episodes with the last 16 or so release straight to video when the show was cancelled midseason.

7. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    There were 44 one hour episodes that have been paired up and edited into 22 Two hour movies.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    This is good news. I haven't seen these in a while. I have 2 or 3 on VHS at home here. Will pick up the DVDs for sure.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This is great news! I've been waiting for this for years. My brothers and I used to watch the show with my dad all the time. Does anyone know if they will include the old Indy "bookends" that appeared when the show was originally broadcast?

10. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    All indications are that the bookends (with the exception of Harrison's cameo in the mystery of the blues) have been cut.

11. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Well I hope the Old Indy bookends are featured in the bonus material.

12. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    When 'Old Indy' is featured, is is family there as well? Ie: Grandchildren, etc.

I really can't remember.

13. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Family were occasionally featured, a daughter, grandchildren, etc.

14. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I wonder if they were "Shia's" children? [face_thinking]

15. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    New info from Rick McCallum regarding the Young Indy DVDs from the Official StarWars.com Blog.

?October 13th, the first [Young Indiana Jones DVD] comes out. We?ve spent about three and a half years making 100 documentaries to go with each episode of the Chronicles. So the first set comes out in mid-October, and then [a second batch] in January and [a third] just right after Indy IV.?

Sounds good to me.

16. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Never seen the show before but I'll definitely catch this on DVD.

17. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Anyone know of, or have any screen-caps of these characters?

18. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I saw a couple of screencaps floating around at one time, but I can't seem to find them now.

19. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    I never saw this the first time round, but I'm seriously considering buying the sets. However, because buying all of them would probably be quite expensive, I need your advice first. I'm a die-hard Indy fan, and i'm madly in love with the films. So how does the TV show match up? Will I be dissappointed, impressed, or simply find them adequate and enjoyable?

20. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    It really depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a tv show that is a carbon copy of the films, you'll probably be slightly disappointed, but if you're looking for an entertaining set of stories involving history in interesting ways, then you should be pleasantly surprised.

I myself love the show.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree with DLB's opinion. The TV show was not the movies transferred to the small screen. George relied more heavily on character for the show and less on action set pieces. That's not to say the show lacks action. It does have alot of it.
    But the show is tilted more in favour of character while the movies, action/plot.

The show won a bundle of Emmys too.

22. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    In the show does he search for mystical artifacts and have a whip 'n fedora?

23. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Hmm, thanks for the help guys. I believe I'll check it out.

24. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    He does have the fedora, yes, he occasionally has a whip, and sometimes there is a mystical element.

But what the show is really about is how the man became the man. We see him traveling with Henry senior at a young age and meeting people like TE Lawrence, Frued, etc etc. We see him caught up in the fighting of World War I, we see him involved in espionage after he gives up fighting, and so on and so forth, with each episode revealing a little bit more of his character, showing us how he became the Indy we know.

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I'm a big fan of the YIJC - I saw all of the US episodes when they were first broadcast back in the day (1992-1993?).

I agree with what others have said about this - if you're looking for a show that's similar to the films, then you may not like this.
    However, if you're looking for an epic coming of age drama, then this show is for you.

Also, for those who haven't seen the show before and are considering buying it on DVD when it's out, there are two distinct timelines the show deals with: Indiana as a 7-8 year old travelling around the world with his parents, and Indiana as a 16-18 year old travelling around the world on his own, getting involved in WW I, etc. The emphasis is on the 16-18 year old episodes - there are definitely more of these, which is good, since they're somewhat better than the 7-8 year old episodes.

My favorite episodes of the series are definitely the WW I episodes.
    These are very well-done, and are the best re-creation of WW I I've ever seen in a film/TV show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.