main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Young Indy Videos

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by wild_karrde, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    A couple of years ago when the Indy movies were re-released, some of the Young Indy episodes were released, but not in chronolical order. There's still about 10 parts to come out. Anyone know when, if ever, they will be out?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    http://www.indianajones.com/series.html

All the released ones are listed there, and the disclaimer says;

The previously listed 12 Adventures of Young Indiana Jones? are now available on videocassette. Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 14, 19 and 21 are not yet available on videocassette.

:(

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Yeah, it's said that since 1999 or something like that :(

4. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    They are probably just going to come out as part of the DVD pachage instead.

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Yes, don't expect to ever see these on VHS - I don't think the first batch did that well, and they're probably just waiting to release them all on DVD, if and when that ever happens.

6. excalibur2358

excalibur2358 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2000
    There was an update on this- it said that they will all be released on DVD in about two years or so. Lucas and co. want to do extensive bios and extras on the historical figures in each episode, to make the shows a kind of learning tool. Personally, I think it's worth the wait. I have all of the previously released videos and love them. The DVDs should be spectacular.

excal

7. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Some of the techniques that Lucas used in this show were fantastic. I'm thinking of purchasing them simply to study them. And it was a wonderfully shot TV series. Top-notch quality.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I agree whole-heartedly. In fact, IMHO, it's the best show I've ever seen on Television. Very, very well-done, and I liked how the episodes fit together (each episode has a month and a year attached to it, and even though they were shown out of order, they're meant to be viewed in order)...

9. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    I never saw these, are they good? Does the young indy look like River?(dude who played young indy in the last crusade) Is Marion in it?????????? I really wanna see these.

10. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    How are these videos anyway? Are they well written, directed?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    The show was extremely well written and directed. But don't expect wall to wall action like the films, these shows were more of a dramatic nature. It was more of historical drama. Also part of the fun was the historical characters Indy encountered Pancho Villa, T. E. Lawrence, Mata Hari (I think played by Catherine Zeta Jones), and many more. The producion values were fabulous, you got all these shots from turn of the century locales, WWI Europe, etc. Really revolutionary in VFX work.

Sean Patrick Flannery starred as the young adult Indy and I think he did a stupendous job. He also looks the part a bit more than Phoenix IMHO. As far as I remember only Indy's dad and mother make an apperance, no Marion, Brody or Sallah.

12. vaderdarkestjedi

vaderdarkestjedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2003

I never was into the Young Indy's because I was so young and wasn't a big enough fan to get them on VHS. I think that they should sell a boxed set of the all the movies in Widescreen format on DVD to pump people up for Indy 4.

13. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Do the videos have the "bumper" scenes with the 93-year old Indy? (and, in one of them, Harrison Ford) Cause I seem to remember hearing somewhere that they didn't...

14. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    they should sell a boxed set of the all the movies in Widescreen format on DVD

I believe they were shot in 1.33:1, were they not? In that case, I'd be mad if they were in widescreen. Cropping is cropping. Period.

And yes, I think the old Indy parts were cut from the VHS versions.

15. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I preceive George Lucas as someone who would really like to archive his better works in the best possible format, and have them available for as long as possible.

I'm thinking that the same thing that is slowing down Lucas in releasing the SW original trilogy on DVD is slowing him down with the Young Indy videos, unless he wants to make an "Ultimate Edition" of the SW OT.

Some of his less appreciated flicks (Radioland Murders, Howard the Duck) do not appear to be available on DVD. Even the Tucker movie, which I think was well done, can't be found anywhere. So I'm thinking if Young Indy got bad press or poor reviews, perhaps Lucas may never release them, which is a shame.

For some reason, I never got into the series, I think the reason was because I was doing something during the time when they'd be shown in my city each week.

Once I got into the Indiana Jones series, I tried to watch it every week. Unfortunately, I only got to see 3 more episodes, after that they cancelled it. I do hope we see a DVD release of the entire series.

16. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Why the hell did they cut them out? I loved seeing Indy as an old man, and cutting Harrison Ford is just plain heresy! [face_shocked]

17. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    He didn't cut out the Harrison Ford prologue and epiogue of Mystery of the Blues. But the ninety year old Indy stuff from all the rest are out.

18. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    So when is Young Indy coming to DVD?

19. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    There's a rumor that the Young Indy dvds will come out in October or November of 2004. Similar to the Indy dvd box set that's coming out this week.

I myself hope they have the shows in their original format as single episodes with the scenes of Old Indy intact, I don't want them editing two episodes into a tv movie.

I also hope the complete series comes out at one time.

20. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    did anyone actually watch these in tv? i remember the episode where harrison ford played indiana jones up in the snow somewhere..and i did see other ones on tv..long time ago..

21. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I watched the show all the time. I do rememeber that ABC moved the show all over the place so it was hard find. I belive it came on Monday nights before football.

The very first episode was Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackel. Which was two episodes one right after the other as a 2 hour tv movie.

I remember that it feature Old Indy scolding some kids for sliding down the step's railing in a museum. Indy tells them about a Jackel's head that sits in the museum. Old Indy tells them about the Jackel's head and how it ended up in the museum.

The first part of the story is Indy as a young boy in Egypt with Howard Carter the man who found King Tut's tomb. In that episode Indy discovers a Jackel's head that is later stolen by the villian of the episode.

Part two is Indiana as teenager in Mexico when he meets the villain agian and reclaims the Jackel's head.

The story ends with the kids in the museum learning a lesson. The kids leave and when nobody is looking Old Indy slides backwards down the steps railing. :D

I remember seeing Indy and Ernest Hemingway, Indy and Pablo Picasso, Indy in Africa with Teddy Roosevelt, Indy as a motorcycle messenger in WWI, an episode where Indy got deathly sick, Indy in Russia during the revolution. I probably saw all the episodes that ABC aired.

I remember missing Indiana Jones and The Phantom Train of Doom because we were going to Six Flags that day. I still haven't see that one yet.

I didn't miss Young Indiana Jones and the Mysteries of the Blues becuase Harrison Ford was in that one. Indy is being chased some where in the Montanat or Utah for returning an artifact to navtive american's. Indy and an Indian friend hide in a cabin where Indy finds a saxaphone he then tells about the adventure he had in Chicago during the roaring 20s. I rememeber the great gag at the end where the bad guy comes to get the indian artifact from Indy. The bad guy opend the door and pulls a gun on Indy. Indy blows a high pitched noise out of the saxaphone and it cause the snow on the roof to fall and bury the bad guy. :D

After that Young Indy moved to the Family Channel where I saw, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, and Travels with Father I don't belive I saw the rest because they came on at odd times.

I hope I get to see all the ones I missed.

22. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I also saw it when it originally came out but I also missed quite a few episodes because of the time shuffling. Not to forget the Mata Hari episode with Catherine Zeta Jones ;-).

23. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    My favorite Young Indy episodes were the ones in Africa where he had that adventure with the train and where he met Albert Shweitzer.

24. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Young Indy was shot on 16 mil. film. Pretty neat if you ask me.

25. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    So is the young Indy worth seeing since I never seen it before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.