main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Young Sherlock Holmes!!!!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Basil_Hennington, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basil_Hennington

Basil_Hennington Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2002

I just watched this again today and, boy, do I love this movie!!

And, as far as I know, it has the first totally CGI character, for those who are in such things, by ILM!

2. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Yep it was the first CGI character. I also love this film as there are so many cool touches in it like the cakes which come to life,the flying bike, dream sequences etc etc.

This film still entertains today and it is essential to watch all the credits for the never made sequel teaser at the end.

I still watch my remastered NTSC Widescreen Laser Disc from the early 1990's which is the best version until/when/if the DVD ever comes out.

However, the first film ILM did with CGI of any kind was the Genesis Wave Sequence in Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan this was done by Pixar who after being sold by Lucasfilm went on to do Toy Story etc etc.

3. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    The Master Control Program in Tron was the first CG character.
    YSH was a good film, though.

4. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Pixar(when it was still owned by Lucas) did the work on the stain-glass man for ILM. YSH has a human sacrifice scene similar to the one in TEMPLE OF DOOM. I think it's strange that Spielberg would repeat the same kind of scene after critics gave him so much grief doing it the first time.

5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well Pixar was called the Lucasfilm Computer Graphics Division back then. The only thing named Pixar was the Pixar Image Computer. As far as CG characters probably the first on film was actually for Looker in 1981, one year before Tron and Star Trek 2. It had a 3D face representation of Susan Day. It was done by Triple I. There might be other examples of CG characters in commercials around that time but my memory is fuzzy. There were many companies back then doing TV commercial with CG like Triple I, Omnibus, Digital Productions, and Abel and Associates.

Probably one of the reasons of the sacrifice thing was that it was directed by Barry Levinson , Spielberg was only executive producers.

6. romanuk

romanuk Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2002
  7. Lynxpro

Lynxpro Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Pixar wasn't the game division. LucasArts Entertainment was first Atari/Lucasfilm Games. Then when Atari Inc. got plunged into chaos, it just became Lucasfilm Games. Get out those old issues of Bantha Tracks and you'll see a feature story on it. Plus all those Atari 5200 cartridge boxes for "Ballblazer" and "Rescue on Fractalas" saying Atari/Lucasfilm are money... I wish I would've bought all of 'em that I saw at Federated Group after Atari bought them in 87 and tried dumping a bunch of their old inventory...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.