main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Your 1st Star Wars Experience

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by harpm1, Oct 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    I'm sure this has been done before but I'm posting it again. What was your first or earliest memory of Star Wars and how did (or didn't ) it effect you. Mine was way back in 77, as a five year old, seeing the strange trailers on TV and then hanging out at my Grandmother's house as my cousins came rushing in the door with their new "X-Wing" and "Tie-Fighter" Kenner toys. Even though I really wasn't sure what they were I was very jealous.

It seems to me that very same day my dad took me and my step brother to the "Tucson Five" drive-in where I saw Star Wars for the first time. That Halloween I wore a Darth Vader vinal costume which I thought was very cool. The film hooked me ever since. I wanted to make movies. And I did.

2. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Back when it was still called "Star Wars" not Episode 4, not ANH, Star Wars I was 7 years old in '77, at a drive in theater in Norco California. I have spotty memories of the actual movie as I drifted off to sleep a couple times.

What do you want, I was a kid!

3. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    My first solid Star Wars memory was of Return of the Jedi. I was in love! I'd seen the others in the theater, but was too young to really remember the experience.

After seeing ROTJ in the theater I literally did not stop talking about Star Wars for months. My parents stopped letting me put my hair in Leia buns for school and told me I couldn't buy anymore Star Wars action figures if I didn't quit calling myself Leia.

Hee hee...I even called my little boyfriend Han!!! [face_laugh]

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I saw it for the first time on July 4, 1991. I was 8 years old, and it left a permanent imprint on me. I watched Empire Strikes Back not too long afterward, and then Return of the Jedi following that.

5. Darth_Myles

Darth_Myles Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    what is this "Star Wars" you speak of? Is that some sort of movie?!?

Woah...don't know where those blasphemous came from. My earliest memory of star wars was my gransmother taking me to "the show" to see the space movie...

Gram's gone now...but I'll never EVER forget the experience.

6. Jinnetics

Jinnetics Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 1999
    Well, I don't remember this of course, but my parents took little 2-month-old Jinnetics to the Cine Capri to see "Star Wars." I cried and had to be removed from the theater.

My first memory of "Star Wars" is going to see "Return of the Jedi" with my older brothers at the UA theater inside Chris-Town (it's now the Spectrum 6 value cinemas). I would have been 6 years old. We were going to catch an early show but they were all sold out....so my brothers called home and got permission for me to see my first midnight movie!

I remember making up a little (stupid) song while waiting in line:
    'Star Wars
    The Empire Strikes Back
    In Return of the Jedi
    the Empire dies!'

7. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I had my first date at ANH in 1977. Okay, so I was 7 and it was my Dad, but it was still very cool.

He decided to rescue me from the house full of screaming little brothers (3yr old & ? month old). So, he took me to McDonald's & I got to order anything I wanted (including a chocolate shake instead of Orange Drink). Then we went to the "indoor theatre" (had never been before, kids used to be relegated to the drive-in), and I got to have Goobers and Popcorn and a Soda. We got settled into our seats just before the trailers started, & I fussed around w/ my goodies until that fateful music started up. And as soon as those ships came across the screen I was in total awe. I never touched my candy, popcorn or soda thru the whole movie, I was just that mesmerized (of course Dad helped to finish it off before we got home, so Mom wouldn't get ticked at him). I was hooked from that very first scene.

Now, I treat my Dad to his single viewing of the SW films, and then he apologizes for costing me so much money. :D ;)

8. harpm1

Feb 19, 2002
    Wow those are great stories. That's funny too because my dad use to call going to the movies "The Show" too. My Grandmother took me and my cousins to see Empire. She too is gone and I won't forget that experience either. It's weird, but like Alice Cooper said at the premiere, "...you can almost define your life by when certain Star Wars movies came out."

9. Darth_Myles

Darth_Myles Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    AMEN!!!!

10. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    My mother was told by everyone at her work that she really needed to go see this "Star Wars" thing everyone was raving about. My mother didn't do Sci-Fi (Still doesn't, in fact) but after much thought she decided to load up the four kids into the 62 Vette and drive down to Cine Capri.

It was crowded, and we had to sit maybe 6 rows from the front.

When the Star Destroyer entered the shot, I realized those were the best seats in the house.

While I was only eight years old at the time, I can clearly remember what went through my mind when the men in white armor blasted that door and started whacking Rebels.

"I'm gonna be one of those when I grow up...."

Turns out I was right.

11. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    That is soooo cool!

I had the biggest crush on Luke forever! I use to tell myself as a little girl that someday I'd marry him!

Turns out I was wrong. [face_laugh]

12. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    He would have been a whiney husband anyway! :p

13. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    HAAA HAAAAA HAAAAA! [face_laugh] You're right!

I'm thinking Lobot would have been the ultimate hubby! At your beckon call, fully loaded with software, AND best of all he doesn't speak...untill the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy anyway. 8-}

A man at my command...what else could a Wench ask for? Oh wait, there is one more thing....

The PFF men at my command! NOW THAT'S A WENCH'S DREAM COME TRUE!!!

Hmmm...time to practice my Jedi mind tricks...Wenchy style!

*Waves Hand*

You WILL get the Wench a drink. You WILL hug the Wench. You WILL give the Wench a back rub..

;)

14. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    I think you have that backwards.

Now cease thy prattling and fetch me a flaggon of ale Wench.

<runs away!>

15. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    SW was the very first thing I ever saw in the theatre, and the first thing I remember seeing at the drive in. I was going to marry Han. [face_love] (And then Harrison was Indiana Jones, too, and I loved him even more. [face_love] :D)

Thus began my love of movies, sci fi, sword fighting, spaceships, scoundrels(harrisonford), and general insanity. :D

16. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_shocked]

Why do I have the sudden urge to fetch some ale? [face_shocked]

Hee hee!

We'll see who's fetching who what when I have my armor Kevin! [face_devil]

17. harpm1

Feb 19, 2002
    Every kid I went to school with wanted to marry Princess Lea. Including me. :)

...but I didn't either. :(

Boy were we happy when that slave girl outfitt came out. Whooo Hooo! [face_laugh]

18. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Ah yes... letsee...

I was 2 when Star Wars came out. Apparently I was there for the 3 or 4 times that my father dragged my mom and me to the theater that summer. I honestly don't remember it. I DO remember seeing Empire in the theater, though. Vaguely, yes, but it's there. My most vivid OT-memory is from when we saw Return of the Jedi in the theater - I was 7. It was PACKED!! E.T. was in theaters at the same time, so there was hardly room to move while we were getting our popcorn and candy. I definitely remember watching the Endor space battle on the screen, and loving the Ewoks. [face_laugh] I don't remember seeing E.T. in the theater... ;)

I've always loved Princess Leia and wanted to be just like her while I was growing up. I also wanted to be Wonder Woman. Then Episode 1 came out, and I completely idolized Amidala. Hmmm... I guess I have this strange fascination with strong female lead characters... imagine that. :D

^.^

19. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    When I was little (probably 6 or 7), my two sisters and I would watch "Return of the Jedi" whenever we could (gotta love those Ewoks [face_love] [face_laugh]). In fact, I think one of the main reasons my parents never bought us copies of the movies when we were kids was to avoid having to watch them a million times. The person we'd borrow the movies from moved away, and so for many years I "forgot" about how much I enjoyed those movies called "Star Wars".

Then I came across a Young Jedi Knights book in the grocery store and the memories came flooding back... ;) :D [face_mischief] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

20. sabaccmaster

sabaccmaster Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2002
    The first Star Wars memory I have is of Return of the Jedi. (I did see the first two in the theater but I was too young to remember.) I was in the second grade when ROTJ came out. My dad came to school to get me out early. He had a box of ROTJ pencils with him and he took me to see the movie. I remember debating with all the kids at school over whether or not Darth Vader was actually Luke's father. I was the first to know for sure. Of course I went to school the next day and told everybody the truth. ROTJ was also the first time I can remember noticing women! I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about, yep, Princess Leia in the gold bikini. My life has never been the same.

21. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I can barely remember what I had for lunch let alone what my first star wars experience was... I'll give it a shot though. I think it was back sometime in '83 when I was 3. I remember this freaky looking guy in a hood and thinking "he's scary". Then bolts came shooting out of his fingers and hurting the hero! My mom said I creid like a baby... even though I WAS a baby. I've been scared ever since. And thats the story of how I became a sith lord... oh wait this was supossed to be about Star Wars...

LP :D

22. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    Since I am the Elder here at PFF I was already 9 when ANH came out. My best friend and our mothers went and saw it when it was first released at the Cinecapri. We talked our mothers into letting us see it again but the next showing was sold out. We talked the owner into letting us in if we sat on the floor in front of the screen. A great way to see StarWars when you are young.

Several months later, I was standing in the checkout line at Walgreens with candy and allowence in hand. I looked up at the shelves and saw actions figures of Luke and R2-D2. I was awe strucked. There could be no better thing in life than this. I had just enough to only buy 1 figure, about $3 at that time. Needless to say the candy was dropped and I bought Luke.

There was no turning back at this point. Star Wars would forever be a major part of my life.

23. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    heh, seeing as i am one day older than parsec, i'm about the same ;)

i remember seeing ANH on video, after i watched it i immediately picked up the 4-legged stool, flipped it upside down, and shot TIE fighters with it ( in my mind)like the quad laser turret on top of the falcon! :eek:
    my parents thought i was crazy....

they still do! ;)

24. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Did you ever thing that maybe they're right? ;) :\

25. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    now i feel young. your all talking about going to see it in the theatre.i was not even born until after it left theatres. i fell way too young now.

but my first star wars expirience was with my grandma. we always would wathc differnet sci-fi stuff at her house. it was so cool. we alays got to watch star wars day after day.

but then for a while i forgot about star wars. then one summer my parents decided they didnt want us watching tv. they made the mistake of letting us loose on the library. we found some books about star wars. hehehe the libray didnt have a single star wars title for weeks.

the rest is history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.