main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Your 1st Star Wars Experience

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by harpm1, Oct 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I don't like to think that anyone who had their first star wars experience on video had any less of an experience with the movies than those of us old people who saw it in theatres. I think it's a different but equally awesome experience, seeing star wars for the first time on video! All the same, we are...

There's my little Yoda moment...

LP :D

2. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't know about that. . .

Having the Tantive IV going over your head and then the Star Destroyer coming right after it. You can't get that feeling on a TV screen (not unless it's a really BIG TV screen).

3. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    It was such an awe inspiring experience to see ANH when it first came out. There had not been any movie even close to Star Wars ever released.

4. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    My 1st ... hmm

I was about 5 or 6 it was either 1979 or 80 and it was on HBO. before the video release i believe. I saw the 2nd half of the movie and it was playing again right after it. Naturally I couldnt move from in front of that TV. Within a few days i had turned a smaller sized paper bag into a darth vader mask, complete with red lenses from 3-d glasses for the eyes. I got a pre release 4 pack of figures from a thrift store (wish i still had em!!!) and played with them endlessly. Ever since, I have been more than obsessed with SW and remember watching all 3 at the theatre inside metro center when ROTJ first came out. It was awesome!

5. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    I forgot my cousins beating the heck out of me with toy lightsabers (I have 5 older cousins, all boys. I was very little, and they were mean!) I soon learned to fight back, though, and we had several batches of lightsabres confiscated. (Some improvised-I love wrapping paper rolls! :))

6. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Star Wars figures were the gold treasures and holey grail of my elementary school years. The more you had, the cooler you were. There wasn't much else except for maybe G.I. Joe but that was later. I remember finding a Luke Skywalker in the grass on my way to school once. I was one happy camper because with four brothers and sisters I didn't get much. I built an ATAT out of cardboard boxes and "paper towel roles." Hey, if you got to improvise, do it! I also remember tearing apart the packages of the figures after my grandparents would get me one. Ooops.

7. AK47Wookie

AK47Wookie Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2002
    These are really interesting entries, I see a lot of myself in many peoples' first SW experiences.

ANH came out a year before I was born, so I missed that experience (until about 20 years later when it was "Special Edition"ed and released again in theaters) and I was too young for Empire; my earliest residual memory of anything Star Wars was seeing ROTJ in the theater. I believe it was with my brothers, and I think I saw it a couple times in theaters. All I remember for sure is that I liked it a lot and I liked the Ewoks a lot too (c'mon man, they're like Mini-Chewies!). Several years later, when me and my dad had a very limited video selection and made frequent trips to the video store, I couldn't tell you how many times I rented ROTJ, and occasionally the other two. And yes, I also had the little Luke and Vader figures, as well as the lightsabers that for some reason didn't hold up too well in combat against each other. Me and the neighbor kid went through a few before we figured that out. He was a wuss anyway. I also recall being 6 or 7 and wanting a haircut like Luke, and being completely exasperated when the poor lady didn't know what the hell I was talking about. "Don't you know who Luke Skywalker is?!"
    hehe, the more I'm thinking about this, the more I'm remembering how obsessed I was for such a young child.
    Anyways, bedtime now. Thanks for the fascinating read everyone.

8. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    >I saw it for the first time on July 4, 1991.

>my parents took little 2-month-old Jinnetics to the Cine Capri to see "Star Wars."

>I was 2 when Star Wars came out

>When I was little (probably 6 or 7), my two sisters and I would watch "Return of the Jedi"

>I was in the second grade when ROTJ came out

>I think it was back sometime in '83 when I was 3.

>i was not even born until after it left theatres

>ANH came out a year before I was born

I feel old - boy do I feel old... "when 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not"

I was 7 and in the first grade when ANH came out - and I remember lining up with a whole bunch of older kids (my Mom and Dad made my brother take me...) They made me sit in the front row, and I remember cheering for the "good guys" y'know, the guys in white armour? The whole end of the movie was way intense, I got motion sick from watching the trench runs, and skimming across the death star surface... Wow...

It's been an addiction ever since...

(tapping arm to raise a vein)

9. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Don't worry Commander, us old fogeys will stick together. Just so long as we don't get our walkers all tangled up ;)

10. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    Yeah, its a lot harder to duel with lightsabers when you walkers keep getting tangled up. [face_laugh]

11. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Of course, it's even harder when they're set to turn on w/ the Clapper ;)

12. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    [face_laugh] I have fallen and I cant get up.

13. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    You know if it wasn't for the Force, we'd all be doing commercials w/ June Allyson ;)

14. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    When it comes time for me to get a walker, I will custom make one that looks like a AT-AT. ;) :p

15. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    [face_laugh] @ MexChewie

16. Ion_Control

Ion_Control Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2002
    *bumps the thread up to get more stories*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.