main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Your arrogance blinds you Master Yoda"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LiamGonNeeson, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiamGonNeeson

LiamGonNeeson Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2005
    "Now you will experience the full power of the dark side."

Was this related to the comments Obi-Wan made about Anakin's arrogance to Yoda and Mace in AOTC? Yoda said it was a problem shared by many jedi, even the more experienced ones.

Did Yoda see the arrogance in himself? If not, was this one of the reasons Sidious's machinations worked?

All I know is that Emperor Palpatine was pretty arrogant in Jedi, and that blinded him to Vader's love of Luke.

I loved the way Ian McDiarmid delivered these lines in ROTS.

2. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I think Sidious is pretty much saying: "Man, I can't believe you survived Order 66. And here you are, strolling into MY office, into the belly of the beast, in front of the Dark Lord of the Sith, who is also an Emperor now, with millions of soldiers and Imperial bureaucrats at his disposal. All I have to do is make ONE call, and I can have ten thousand soldiers come to my aid. You walk in here without a care in the world, with no backup, knock out my cool-looking guards, make my associate Mas nervous, then start getting uppity with me about my new apprentice, who YOU didn't take the time to properly train. You've got some nerve!"

But, "Your arrogance blinds you master Yoda" sounds a little better.

AllyoftheForce likes this.
  3. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    yea i think yoda was a bit arrogant. but hey if you were him wouldnt you be?

i mean he just waved his hand and the 2 gaurds were on the floor

4. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    Was it arrogance...maybe... I think Yoda was just confident in his power. He thought he was strong enough to take the Dark Lord out. But Darth Sidious ended being a lot tougher opponent, then what Yoda thought he was going to be. Arrogance? I would say more confident.

5. LiamGonNeeson

LiamGonNeeson Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2005
    sith rising: Putting it that way, heck yeah the little green 'friend' was arrogant. He was probably uppity in his duel w/ Dooku in AOTC, as well.("Much to learn, you still have----fought well you have, my old padawan.")

Actually, come to think of it, Yoda was on a high horse when first speaking to Luke in Empire. ("What know you of ready? For eight hundred years I've........ my own council I'll kept as who is to be trained!") He spoke about Luke being too old, and inexperienced.

When I last checked, Luke DID destroy the first Death Star. How many Jedis or Sith Lords could claim an achievement like that? Makes Master Yoda seem extremely hard to impress.

I mean, it wasn't like Luke wasn't bringing anything to the table.

6. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Pre-fight Yoda: "Yo, punk. That's right. I called you a punk. Six feet of punk. Guess what? You're in for a world of hurt, punk. Oh! I said it again! What are YOU gonna do about it, PUNK?"

Post-fight Yoda: "Yeah, this isn't really working out the way I thought it would, could you point me to the nearest exit?"

7. km12

km12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    BlackRook...........oh, very well put!!......lol.........[face_laugh]

8. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Did Yoda see the arrogance in himself?

Of course not, no one ever does. :p

9. DS_Emp_Viper

DS_Emp_Viper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    couldn't put it any better.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, Yoda was arrogant. He thought that he had the power and knowledge to go against Palpatine, since he did well against Dooku on Geonosis and in the eu, on Vjun. Plus he fought a couple of Dark Jedi during the Clone Wars. But Yoda had never fought a Dark Lord, much less one who had the advantage given him by the Force being out of balance. Yoda truly thought he had a chance, but came to realize that he didn't have it. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't beat his polar opposite.

11. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Everyone in the whole of the Saga is arrogant to one extreme. Yoda was really arrogant because he never expected this to happen so quickly.

12. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

AGAIN with this arrogance thing! *S*

I think you can very easily make just as strong a case that it was SIDIOUS who was being arrogant, when he calls Yoda arrogant for believing he can stand up to a Sith Lord!

Overall, the character of Yoda is hardly presented as arrogant. He shows concern, repeatedly, about the dangers the developing situation present, worries about the involvement of the Jedi in politics (although I would note again that GL does not present very many credible alternatives - if not for the Jedi opposition, Sidious would have risen to power nearly unopposed!). He lives humbly, post-ROTS (you can argue he has to, to avoid detection, but I honestly believel GL means MORE than that... Yoda's diminutive size and humble home/living conditions was, I think, designed to put across the message that one cannot judge by outer appearances... that "spiritual strength" trumps outer signs of greatness). Yes, there are times he does seem to bring Luke down a peg...but please recall that one of the most dangerous traits for a Jedi IS pride ... Anakin had it aplenty after all! ... and I think you can argue that this was really more a case of Yoda trying to keep Luke from becoming unduly prideful as he becomes more powerful!

He DOES occasionally get off the snappy one-liner...but again, I would argue that this is done for EFFECT, that it is an indication of GL having some fun with the audience and going for some levity... When little, slow walking Yoda tosses aside his cane and talks tough, It always gets a laugh from the audience....*S*

That is not to say that it doesn't take a LOT of confidence to confront Sidious one on one. Overconfidence? Perhaps..although I am not sure what the real alternative was at that point. The Jedi had been massacred, the Clones were on Sidious' side, etc. If Yoda wasn't able to take Siduous out, quickly and cleanly, on his own, then there was no choice but long civil war (which is how things played out)...

Shadow

13. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    Yoda outduelled Dooku. Even if he knew Sidious would be stronger he probably thought he could deal with him as well. In AOTC Yoda states something like that even the older more experienced Jedi were "too sure of themselves" - I guess in a way that goes for him as well. ;)

Besides walking into Sidous with that kind of attitude was probably the wisest thing he could do. Yoda is one of the most powerful Jedi to ever have lived and I'm sure Sidous knows it. When Yoda walks in with that kind of confidence that he can take down the Sith, that is bound to make Sidious a little nervous I think (as opposed to an uncertain scared Yoda walking in).
    So I think part of Yoda's attitude is to give him an upper hand psychologically, and part of it being that Yoda is a little "too sure of himself". IMO that is. :)

14. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

Wee:

And lets face it.. Mace already gave Sidious all he could handle. Sidious is smart... he keeps is eye on the goal..and the goal is for him to end up in charge. He doesnt care HOW, per se... so when Yoda shows up and recovers from that Force Lightning blast, and Force SHOVES Sidious across the room... Sidious heads for the door (discretion is the better part of valor? *S*).

So...good point...that confident air probably did give Yoda a bit of a psychological edge...

Shadow

15. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    i dont think yoda was arrogant, thats just how sidious sees it. in RotJ, sidious told luke that his faith in his friends was his weakness, but it worked out for luke and sidious was wrong.

in the movie, yoda says your faith in your new apprentice and the darkside "might be" misplaced, right? he's not overconfident, thats just what sidious wants you to think! if he was truely arrogant, he wouldda never been able to defeat sidious later on. part of sidious' darkside technique is to mess with your opponent and play on their doubts, not tell the truth all the time.

16. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    This saddens my heart:(

Some point out that Sideous is depicted not as strong in ROTS as he was in ROTJ... then I must say that if so many feel that Yoda was arrogant, ROTS has diminished him... I don't think he is supposed to be arrogant - I think he was humble and wise...

17. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    If Mace beat Sidious then it's only natural that Sidious would be nervous when Yoda entered (as Yoda is considered the #1 Jedi). When Yoda brandished an "I will destroy you" -attitude he would be even more nervous and try to get out of there. ;)

18. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Here's my far out theory:

The Force makes all arrogant.*

For example:

1: Yoda: Yoda is suppose to be THE Jedi, correct? (Besides Mace) Why could not Yoda and other members of the Council sense the presence of a Sith so close to them for YEARS?

Once they did after the PM , did the Jedi actively search for this other Sith???

Perhaps arrogant and compliant.
    They supported a system that was known to be corrupt. What did they do?

At the last minute, when Windu is told by Skywalker that Palpatine is the Sith....
    well we'll arrest him and take over the government until everything is settled....

That's slightly arrogant.

True, ole Pruneface had judges, senators, etc in his pocket. Why couldn't the Jedi see any of this???

Arrogance that they were superior.

2 Sidious was arrogant so sure that he could win Skywalker over. His arrogance was his undoing.

So, my theory that the Force makes all arrogant to some degree.

I am now going to activate my Force Shield and for good measure also hide behind this big boulder.....

EDIT 1: Why are we all in red?????

Edit 2: I did not mention Anakin Skywalker...I think his arrogance is very obvious and has been discussed over and over and over and over ....

* Perhaps Force users should be made aware that using the Force may make them arrogant over a long period of time. They could become so arrogant they may forfeit their lives are in the very least have to live in exile, pondering their arrogance....or have to wear a black mask and do a lot of heavy breathing...

19. Darth_Aramis

Darth_Aramis Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2005
    LMAO!! If only this dialogue could've made the movie. :)

20. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    The Jedi are an extremely arrogant Order prior to Lord Sidious wiping them out. They never question their procedures; they are so inflexible that they can't even be bothered to check on Anakin's mother, just to ensure her safety.

In the book, Yoda realises this when communing with Qui Gon - the Order failed to adapt, it snobbishly believed that it didn't have to move with the times. The Sith did change and adapt, in contrast, and it led to the destruction of the Jedi.

21. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    in aotc, when yoda says that to obi wan, it was after obi wan had just commented that anakin may not be ready for the assignment he had been given - that he was gifted, but arrogant. i almost got the impression from yoda that he was warning obi wan that maybe he was also being a bit arrogant.
    i don't think yoda was being arrogant going to confront the emperor. he really had no other choice. if obi wan could defeat anakin and yoda could defeat sidious, the sith would be no more.

22. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Funny, but also true.

Yoda, as the rest of the Jedi, became arrogant in their general complacence. They had lived in the same state for thousands of years and even when the Sith reemerged they still believed they were safe in their world. It was a kind of naive arrogance, not the malicious arrogance of Palpatine. They just could not comprehend that the possiblity of their destruction existed in the Force, even though all the signs were there. Even though they are portrayed as wise and moral far above the average person, they still succumb to average human weaknesses.

23. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    But by then it was too late.

The Jedi were arrogant as well as the Sith.

Hence my theory that the ability to use the Force made many of them arrogant.

Oh Yes! .....and BLIND!

Just wanted to shout at the end of PM at Quigon's funeral service when Yoda and Mace were discussing the Sith...

Fools! There he is right in front of your eyes!

I believe if the Jedi had discovered Sidious at that time, he could have been taken down.

So many IF's!!!!

24. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    DarthGroznii
    The Jedi are an extremely arrogant Order prior to Lord Sidious wiping them out. They never question their procedures; they are so inflexible that they can't even be bothered to check on Anakin's mother, just to ensure her safety.

i think thats too harsh. maybe they weren't adapting fast enough and becoming insular, but they weren't *extremely* arrogant.

anakin's mother was doing fine, she was freed. were they supposed to protect her? i mean that would be a pretty big job, protecting all relatives of jedi.

its not a rich order, but maybe they needed to start protecting and helping average citizens. like the little anakin wanted, to free slaves and others in general.

at the same time, sidious one of the strongest siths ever, i give him a little credit.

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Master Yoda was kinda arrogant,but he probably didn't enjoy the irony of it.

Yea,Sidious kinda outshines him at the time, he just conquered the republic and had the chosen one of the force whipe out the Jedi order.Yoda was off on some mission and just happened to survive thanks to Chewie.

But I guess Yoda just sees it as theres nothing he can do to bring the Jedi Order back,there all dead,but he can take down the Empire and destroy the Sith Lord. They can start rebuilding after the evil is destroyed.

His main arrogance was that he should've known Anakin was the only one who could take down The Emporer,if he had never went after him than he could've used the element of suprise and deceit seeing as they'd think he's dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.