main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN Your basic Fantasy or Sci-Fi other then Star Wars Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by echo-3, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scruffyvada

scruffyvada Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2010
    Yeah definitely not. Would have put a bit of a damper on that.

Just find solace in the fact that now that 14 year old is now 17.

2. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    legal FAIL

3. scruffyvada

Aug 24, 2010
    Hey! I didn't say anything about legality. I specifically left that out.
    I just said she wasn't 14 anymore. Then again, she could have been on the cusp and all's good now. You never know!

4. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Halloween is upon us, What is your top 5 favorite movies with a scary theam?
    Mine:

5)Return of the living Dead ( 1985 )
    4)Shawn of the Dead
    3)Dawn of the Dead ( 2004 )
    2)Night of the living Dead ( 1968 )
    1)Sleepy Hollow (1999)

5. tainted_crimson

tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2006
    That is a really hard Top 5 for me!

5) The Fog (original)
    4) The Last Man on Earth
    3) The Haunting (tied between original + remake)
    2) Ju-On: The Grudge
    1) Ringu (The Ring)

But there are probably about 20 others that could go on this list, too. These are just the ones that come to mind!

6. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    This is really tough for me due to all of the different types of horror/scary movies I like, so I am going to list my five favorite horror movies that mainly focus on fear and fright and five that are more humorous.

My Favorite Scary Movies (in no particular order)
    Let the Right One In - a french or swedish vampire flick that is very creepy, it was just remade as Let Me In
    Last Man on Earth - starring Vincent Price and later remade into The Omega Man starring Charleton Heston and later into I am Legend
    The Resident Evil series of movies - cheesy popcorn flicks, but I love a good zombie shoot-em-up movie
    Nosferatu and Shadow of the Vampire - I put these two together since the plot of Shadow of the Vampire is based around the filming of Nosferatu
    Night of the Living Dead - I don't think this one will surprise anyone that knows me
    Nightmare on Elm Street and Wes Craven's New Nightmare - my two favorite "slasher" flicks

My Favorite Funny/ Scary Movies (in no particular order)
    Shaun of the Dead - One of the best zombie spoofs ever
    Evil Dead 1 & 2 - gotta respect the all-mighty chin of Bruce Campbell
    Zombieland - another great funny zombie movie
    Snakes on a Train - the last five minutes or so are absolutely horrible and hilarious
    Night of the Living Bread - short spoof of the classic in which everybody's favorite source of carbs seeks its revenge

7. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    Let the Right One In is at the top of my Netflix "To Watch" list. I refuse to see the remake before watching the original, no matter how much the comic team at SDCC raved about it.
    I lovelovelove The Last Man on Earth. Vincent Price was one of the greatest actors of all time, and the two remakes pale in comparison to the original.
    The Resident Evil series are definitely some of my favorite horror movies as well, even with their cheese factor they still manage to capture the feel of the games.
    And, really, who doesn't love Zombieland? Especially the Bill Murray appearance.

8. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    Vincent Price is totally awesome. He was superb in so many movies, it makes me sad to think that I was first exposed to him through the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo or something like that instead of some of his better roles. There was a floating ghostly head in the cartoon that was called Vincent Vanghoul.

9. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    I LOVE that cartoon! They just released it on DVD, FINALLY. I scooped it up from Netflix and had a good eyeroll and giggle at how bad some of it was. A bit sad how short it was, though.

10. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Let The Right One In is awesome, I watched it a few weeks ago and thought it was spectacular. I don't really want to see the remake...

11. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I think the remake looks interesting so Id like to see the original.

12. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    If you have Netflix, it's available for Instant Watch! (Looking back over these comments, perhaps I am a little too attached to my Netflix account...)

13. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm watching it now Amy

14. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I just finished it, It was very slow for the first hr but then it was good. I under stood the point of the movie,the love the two had or maybe I should say the Love Oscar had for Elie. "One of the best Vampire movies ever", maybe not IMO. Enjoyed the part where the lady gets attack by all the cats and when Eli saved Oscar at the Bath House. Over all it was good but not great. I want to see the new one now even more.

15. scruffyvada

Aug 24, 2010
    5) The Mist (2007) mainly because of the ending and the soundtrack. Stephen King inspired stories make it twice on this list.
    4) Pet Semetary (1989) gets pretty dark at some points. Major psychological creep points here.
    3) Dawn of the Dead (2004) I have a lot of appreciation for this movie and the way it was done compared to most of the other zombie movies I've seen.
    2) Nightmare on Elm Street (1994) scared the **** out of me as a child, thus an easy favorite.
    1) 28 Days Later is my absolute favorite. If I could have a love affair with a movie, it would be this one. Everything from the soundtrack, to the cinematography, to the actors chosen, to the spare dialogue, all if it is just glorious as a movie.

16. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    I don't think we can be friends anymore, Vada. Our horror movie lists do not match up at all. (And I disagree with all your choices!)

17. deepbluejedi

May 23, 2002
    date fail. 1984! I got this one, Lito!

18. scruffyvada

Aug 24, 2010

I hate my keyboard and your internet quickness.
    No love, no love. Lol.

Amy- Can we agree to disagree?

19. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    The new Thor trailer looks good.

20. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    I appreciate that assist, John. I thought for a moment I might have to sic Robert on someone!!

I can't believe NO ONE listed the original Halloween: it's only the Father of modern slashers and horror films in general and still one of the most effective and scariest horror films of all time.

21. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    It's definitely in my top favorites, but with only 5 slots, it just didn't make the cut. Top 10, most definitely.

22. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Tron Legacy was great. I was totally impressed with the 3-D . Heck,The Pirates 4 trailer at the beginning Blow me away.
    Sara and Tim were right about the new 3-D.BUT it dosent make me want to see everything in 3-D now. I will be seeing Green Hornet in 2-D.

23. deepbluejedi

May 23, 2002
    Tron was fantastic.....one of those definitely made better by 3D. Disney and Pixar really know what they're doing as far as 3D goes.....I'll have to see a movie from another studio to really compare. Hopefully they do Star Wars right!

24. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Jennifer and I attended an early morning New Year's Day screening of "Tron: Legacy" and were both completely blown away: the effects, performance by Bridges, and score were all outstanding.

25. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    "Paul" starts this Friday and it looks great. "Sucker punch" ,another MUST SEE for me starts soon too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.