main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Your Bestest Friend (one-shot; L/M/Solo kids/etc.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    That was magnificent, Michele!
    I was laughing the whole time reading it!

"Just put down Uncle Luke as her best friend," Jacen instructed his sister.

"Hold on!" Mara grabbed the shoulders of the pair and whirled them to face her. "What makes you think he's my friend?"

"'Cause you were looking down to where his X-wing is for every question," Jacen replied, giving Mara a Han Solo-esque lopsided grin. He turned to follow Jaina as she started across the bay.
    [face_laugh]

Certainly the kid is Solo's son. :D Even half a Corellian is always a Corellian! ;)

"Maybe they will. Who knows?" Jaina grinned as a new thought occurred to her. "Maybe if she becomes our aunt, she'll let me fly her ship." :D

Not forget to mention that the girl is Solo's daughter too...

"I was just wondering," he whispered in a conspiratorial tone. "Is there any deserted planet in particular that you'd like to be stranded on with me?"

Like others, this is my favourite line. Farmboy - Mara: 1-0! [face_laugh]

2. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Oh yay - it's over here too. :D Again, that was too fun! The characterizations are perfect. Love it! [face_love]

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    [face_laugh]

That was PRICELESS!

4. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    MamaShmi: Luke and Mara reminded me of two kids in junior high.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. Quite different than 'Specter of the Past,' where they each get all bent out of shape when Han and Faughn kid them about getting together. ;)

Kit': Hi! Glad you liked this.

Just the motivation I need to kick-start my assignment.

You mean the assignment to spend more time reading the fics? [face_laugh] I don't see how you mods can possibly keep up with everything people expect you to do, but you are doing a great job. I'm just happy you picked my little fic to pop into. :D

And I'm trying to do my part by waiting and grouping replies together, so there won't be any extraneous 'upping.' ;)

Gabri_Jade: Isn't Jacen cute? Mara is quite different than Leia and Winter and the other diplomatic women he's usually around.

That's just a thing of beauty. Has Jacen ever got her cornered.

Don't expect her to admit it, tho. ;) Thanks!

Stormtrooper_Shrink: If only the Solo kids had been given this assignment in the profic, how easily could things have been unraveled... *sigh*

Since this story is set not long before 'Specter of the Past,' they would've had to been given the assignment a few years earlier for it to do any good. :D

EmilieDarklighter: LOL, yes, I meant I was unhappy there wasn't more. The SJRS challenges are really just a ploy to get you to write more.

I knew that's what you meant! But not sure I can keep up doing every challenge ? especially if I ever hope to finish Journey. ;) I want to see more of the others doing the challenges.

JediArwen: Certainly the kid is Solo's son. Even half a Corellian is always a Corellian! Not forget to mention that the girl is Solo's daughter too...

Yes, Jacen's as perceptive as his old man. And what better incentive to get Mara and Uncle Luke together than a chance to sit in the pilot's seat of the Fire?! [face_laugh]

Jedi Trace and Daughter_of_Yubyub: Thanks to both of you!

5. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    I just found this!!! The Solo kids are sooo great! And I especially loved Jacen's insight into who Mara's best friend was. The last lines were awesome too. Luke is really funny. I loved your characterizations, they were really well done.

;) Paige

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

* delurks *

That was simply delightful, Michele! What a wonderful way to push those two recalcitrant lovers in the right direction. :)

* goes back to lurking with goofy grin *

7. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I loved this so much! Meant to reply earlier, but I'm so far behind on all these stories that I ran out of time! :p

I like the Solo kids (at this age anyway!) and I think you got their personalities down well. And of course, you got Luke and Mara perfectly!

Everyone's mentioned the ending part, which I loved as well, but I also liked this bit A LOT:

"Well, your best friend is someone who knows how you feel, without your having to say anything. She, or he, is someone whom you've shared experiences with. Someone who will laugh or cringe with you at the mere mention of a word or name, because she knows exactly what you're remembering about it. She's someone that you know forgives you, though she may not show it outwardly, when you annoy her without meaning to. She?"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] That is SO Luke!! Especially the "annoying without meaning to" part! And who knows how long he might have gone on that way if the twins hadn't interrupted him? ;)

This was great!

:) :) :)

8. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *gasps* I didn't see this! :eek:

I LOVE it! :D :D :D LMAO, I loved Luke's hinting at the end, then the line about the desert island - that was great! :D The way everyone responded, and how Mara was all acting tough and mean, LOL, and Luke just knew . . .

This was great! :D What more can I say?

9. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Just found this and I have to say it's adorable- especially the last 2 lines! :D

10. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    "Well, your best friend is someone who knows how you feel, without your having to say anything. She, or he, is someone whom you've shared experiences with. Someone who will laugh or cringe with you at the mere mention of a word or name, because she knows exactly what you're remembering about it. She's someone that you know forgives you, though she may not show it outwardly, when you annoy her without meaning to. She?"

"We really need to be getting back home," Jaina interrupted. "Is it okay if we just put down Miss Jade's name for you?"

Okay, I don't know if anyone's commented on this yet, but the third time I read this story I noticed exactly what Luke was saying. He changes from "someone" to "she, or he" to "she" without even realizing it. Gotta love his simple one-mindedness. Of course, if I were in his situation, I wouldn't be able to keep the lovely Mara Jade out of my thoughts, either.

11. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Aw, that was very cute and sweet! I really enjoyed it.

Kristeh

12. Angel_Jedi_Master

Angel_Jedi_Master Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 18, 2002
    THAT WAS SO CUTE!!!!!!

13. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    This was awesome!

14. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Ariapaige: I'm never sure about my characterizations of kids, so I'm glad you liked them. Kids often do see things more clearly than adults. Thanks!

LadyPadme: I drew LP out of lurkdom! I'm honored. ;)

What a wonderful way to push those two recalcitrant lovers in the right direction.

Somebody needed to give them a push!

kayladie97: I like the Solo kids (at this age anyway!)

Yeah, I like them fine, too, when they're not out saving the galaxy. [face_laugh]

That is SO Luke!! Especially the "annoying without meaning to" part! And who knows how long he might have gone on that way if the twins hadn't interrupted him?

And who knows how long he kept thinking of how Mara was his friend after the twins left? :D Thanks!

obaona: Hi! Glad you found this.

LMAO, I loved Luke's hinting at the end, then the line about the desert island - that was great!

I guess Nirauan was close enough to a deserted planet to qualify, hmmm? ;) Thanks so much!

Miska: Thanks! Glad you liked it. :D

TheCrazyRodian: Okay, I don't know if anyone's commented on this yet, but the third time I read this story I noticed exactly what Luke was saying. He changes from "someone" to "she, or he" to "she" without even realizing it.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. :D Even if Luke wasn't consciously doing it, he definitely had a certain 'someone' on the brain as he was talking.

kristeh, Angel_Jedi_Master, & karebear214: A big thanks to all of you!!!

15. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    This was so cute! I loved Mara...that was great.

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I don't usually wander in the BYTS but they had a thread in the WR on crossing boundaries and this little fic came up.

It was wonderful. Really made me laugh. Great job!!!

17. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    aw!
    It's so cuuute...

I think I agree with everyone else, the last part there is brilliant. XD
    Really nice story!!

18. Marsa

Marsa Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2004
    That was absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!

Witty and sweet. Plus you got the twins just right! Their easy to butcher, but you got them!!

can I say it again? WONDERFUL!! ~M

19. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Seems a bit unfair to exclude relations by marriage, after all it was because Han was Leia?s best friend that wasn?t her brother that they ended up together. ;)

Liked Hans attitude that it was Chewbacca, and he wants to know if Chewie doesn?t say ?Awrahgah!? for his answer. :)

Sympathise with Mara, back back foul Solo brats! None of your business! Agree with her, what are the teachers doing? Training Jacen and Jaina to be the people with clipboards who ambush you in the high street?
    Liked her exasperation with the questions, she was probably quite annoyed with herself as well for letting herself be so distracted that she revealed her thoughts through body language rather than keeping them hidden.

I think Luke would probably have said Han if not for the ?exclude relations through marriage? rule, they were best friends before they were brothers-in-law. Still at least by removing that option our budding pollsters managed to get to the truth.

Agree with Mara, blast those Solo brats!

20. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Whadda ya know? New readers! [face_dancing] A big THANKS! to Jedikma for recommending this.

Laura_Anu: Thanks! :D

dianethx: I'm honored that you decided to check out my little BYTS fic. Thanks! [face_blush]

djcati: Thanks! Glad you liked it. :D

Marsa: Thanks to you, too! The twins weren't too bad, when they weren't out single-handedly saving the galaxy. ;)

_JM_: Seems a bit unfair to exclude relations by marriage, after all it was because Han was Leia?s best friend that wasn?t her brother that they ended up together.

Let's call it a convenient plot point. ;) We're to assume the teacher's intention was to show the children that it's important for people to have good friends outside the circle of their own family. Plus, this would've been a pretty dull story otherwise. [face_laugh]

Liked her exasperation with the questions, she was probably quite annoyed with herself as well for letting herself be so distracted that she revealed her thoughts through body language rather than keeping them hidden.

For all her talents, Mara is rather easy to rattle at times. It probably didn't help that she'd spent the morning with Luke, so he was on her mind.

I think Luke would probably have said Han if not for the ?exclude relations through marriage? rule, they were best friends before they were brothers-in-law.

If not Han, then Leia.

Still at least by removing that option our budding pollsters managed to get to the truth.

How true! Thanks for the review! :D

21. Deja_Vu

Deja_Vu Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2002
    That was wonderful. I was cracking up when the twins went to ask Mara----and Luke's mischief at the end had me absolutely rolling. Especially the last line. Usually, I'm not one for one-shot fics, but this one was superb!

Repeat: I loved it.

22. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Oh I am so glad this thing got upped!

LUKE AND MARA CUTENESS!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

That was just awesome, Jedi-2B! Oh, so cute! :D :D :D

And for once Luke gets in the last word! And what a good line it was! [face_laugh] (Good enough for Mara to feel he deserved a water bottle in the face! :p ) Oh... priceless!

Excellent work!

23. chandrila_lady_jedi

chandrila_lady_jedi Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2004
    That was wonderful! Iloved the four questions, especially the one about the deserted planet, and the last quip of Luke's was priceless. I wonder which planet she would pick? Their budding relationship is beautifully described. And Jaina and Jacen are perfect. I love Jaina's line about Mara letting her fly her ship ... it's totally like her.

24. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Deja_Vu: Thanks! One-shot fics are so much easier to write, especially for me. I'm swearing off long ones, if I can ever finish the one I'm bogged down in now.

Jaded_Girl: Thanks to you, too! :D

And for once Luke gets in the last word!

Doesn't happen very often, does it? [face_laugh]

chandrila_lady_jedi: I wonder which planet she would pick?

I guess they couldn't decide on a completely deserted one, and had to settle for Niraruan. ;)

I love Jaina's line about Mara letting her fly her ship ... it's totally like her.

Always good to have an aunt with a cool ship. :p Thanks!

A huge THANKS! going out to whoever nominated this story for Best Child Characters. It was a complete surprise, but a much appreciated one!! \:D/ [:D]

25. Miladry

Miladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    Hilarious!!! [face_laugh] Very well done =D=
    It was simply perfect..

I specially like this part...

"Yeah, guess I do. Oh, by the way." Luke paused at the edge of the doorway. His blue eyes held a teasing glint, which in Mara's experience could only mean trouble. "I was just wondering," he whispered in a conspiratorial tone. "Is there any deserted planet in particular that you'd like to be stranded on with me?"

Not even Jedi-enhanced speed could save Luke from the water bottle that came flying his direction.

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.