main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Your career field - how did you choose it?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Feb 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Lately, I'm starting to feel like I might have made the wrong one, so I'm curious:

Did you choose during high school, or did you wait until you had been in tertiary education for several years?

Or did you just 'see where life would take you' and end up in all kinds of different fields?

2. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm not in Uni yet, but I chose what I want to do by the process of elimination. [face_plain]

3. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I thought I knew what I wanted to do after high school, but after 3 years at polytech I changed my mind.

Its a difficult decision, because you dont want to waste the time getting Tertiary education when it wont lead you where you want to go. At least with Uni you can take a broad field of subjects in the first year or two, and then decide which direction to take.

my philosophy is, think of something you enjoy, and persue it. the only problem there is, you cant get a Degree in Star Wars collecting. ;)

4. Risa

Risa Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2001
    I sort of fell into my job,more out of need for work rather than choice but I love my job and I never want to do anything else.

5. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Jedi - didnt have a choice some old guy with a light up stick stole me at birth

6. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    SW collecting? What a job! :D

7. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    one day it will happen. my dream will come true... :)

8. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    See, here's my problem. I'm just entering the last year of my science degree. I chose science back in seventh form because I was good at it and like Lisa said, the old process of elimination thing.
    Now I've been in touch with MetService, and have a moderately good chance of being picked up by them for their grad recruitment program, which is pretty cushy - they pay your fees and give you a salary while you complete the post-grad training, then guarantee you a job afterwards.

But I'm bored with science. Last year I slept in all my lectures, and didn't go when ever there was just about anything else happening. Sure, I'm still good at it, and can usually manage a B+ pass, but it's really just lost it's appeal.

I'm really a creative person, in my spare time I love to draw and paint, design things, write - things like that.

I'm not going to drop the science this year - it's crazy to get this far and not complete it, but next year? I don't know. I can't help thinking it would be a little stupid not to try and go with metservice . . .but then if I went and started a design degree, maybe I'd get sick of that too, and wish I'd gone with the other.

I hate decisions.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well i just completed a law degree and BA in political science.....so i could be a lawyer, or a whatever-policy/government type or corporate........and i also have no clue, its kinda weird, so i might just go back in a year or so and do a masters:(

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    WARMING; LONG SEMI BORING POST FOLLOWS

Well, as you all know I went on a hunting trip with my dad the other week. I've been hunting from about the age of 5 when I would go out with dad and my other brother after rabbits. I got into Archery and then when i could hold a rifle steady - i was taught the safty rules and appreciation of firearms. I love the outdoors, and i love animals (many have questioned me and my killing of animals such as Deer. Deer, Goats, Pigs, Rabbits etc are classed as noxious pests in this country and destroy our native plants.)

as i was saying. I have always wanted to do somethig in the outdoors. As a young lad i wanted to be a deer culler (but that job is non-exisstant now :p) then i wasnted to be a pilot, chef, etc etc etc - through to about 4th form when i had hopes of becomming a gunsmith. I had my heart set on this (as a 14 year old :p) and a 'well-known' gunsmith said if there were 6 in NZ there was too many - due to not enough work. So I thought about DOC (department of conservation).

I was pointed in the direction of doing a Parks Recreation and Tourism diploma at Lincoln but after spending a week at the start of 6th form on Tiri Tiri Matangi Island the newly appointed DOC ranger informed me he was given the job with a BSc over a guy with a parks rec ... and so he changed my direction. Same uni - different more broad course.

here i am, about to start. Looking forward to it and still wanting to get into DOC or something after, though imployment options are wide and inviting after this course or majoring in conservation and ecology.

hehe

11. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    good luck sfl btw rifle shooting rocks be a farmer....

12. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Well I'm doing something that was furtherest from what I had expected. Didn't have a clue when I left School decided to do something compturish due to the fact I was reltively good at it at school. Finished that and thought I'd end up doing technician/networking or support. All of a sudden webdeisgn and internet media came into play (it had only been a hobby up to this point, self taught etc) now i'm about to have my own business in a couple of weeks. Not what I expected but something i'm totally looking forward to.

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    wow, good stuff SWNZ. Similar to JP.

thanks Extra, one thing I've wante to do for a number of years now is participate in the Easter Bunny shoot down south. I've always seen a bit of it on TV and thought.

"sheesh - you could go through a couple of hunred .22 bullets in about 3 hours in that sort of a place!"

Unfortunately the rifles are all my dads. I havnt had enough $ to buy one yet. I use a 6.5x55 for deer/goats and dad always says:

"Have ya oiled ya gun yet?" etc he has pretty much said after im settled in at Chch and things are all ok - he may be able to give me it.

Cant wait to go after Thar/Tahr and Chamios(SP?)

14. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    i know at im foinf when i leave school im going to become an electrical apprentice then get heaps of money then make movies

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Wow. I had you pegged as a proofreader.

16. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Nope, the perfect English teacher. :)

17. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    meanies ;)

I'm quite keen to do web design as well. as I have the design background, I'll probably 'self teach' my way thru web, as Ive done a little already. I really need a program like Dreamweaver.

Kitt, some advice:
    go for the metservice. pay fees? gauranteed job? from where I'm sitting, it sounds pretty darn sweet. you can always go and do some design course after that, if you change your mind. and remember, you can still draw and paint and write in your spare time!

18. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    Well after that last post it safe to say i wont have a job in teaching law or politics

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    OMG, ACE's last post was actually comprehendable!

20. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    law and politics rock.....you know how to play the system, and why its so rubbish

SFL....i am in the same boat....i own a 22, but don't have my licence, i never manage to have 300 or so dollars to get a licence:( so they stay with my parents

21. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    I remembered last night that we answered a similar question as this one for Chansplace a while back, but I can't find them anywhere here - maybe they were on the old message board system. :(

22. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I found it for ya buzz.
    more relevant discussion to be found here :)

finished at last

23. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Ah-ha! That's it. I knew we'd sort of done this already. :)

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    yea I was thinking the same about this thread, but it's still fun.

WTF are your parents telling you THAT for? $300 my ar$e for a Firearms licence. I got mine when I turned 16 for about $150 if that!

100% in the test. I must say its an absolute shocker! Too damn easy. Made me really think:

"How many loose cannons could get their licence and then go USA in NZ"

:p

Honestly one question was this:

"If a member of your hunting group has consumed alcohol, what should you do?"

A/ Give him/her a large cup of black coffee to get over it.

B/ Don't assossiate the firearms with that person

(the answers were along those lines)

UTTER CRAP in my oppinion.

Get your licence! :)

25. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    yeah, i should get it, i am just in a lazy frame of mind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.