main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Character's Weapons

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Reinn, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reinn

Reinn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    After reading a bunch of D&D sites and seeing how they all harp on having at least three weapons, a main melee, a back-up melee, and a ranged, I've been inclined to wonder what sort of weapons are common for Star Wars characters. I know that Jedi carry lightsabres, but does anyone carry a knife, a sap, or even weapons from other d20 games like a crossbow?

Generally every character I make carries a melee weapon of some sort even if their main weapon is a blaster. If they don't have a melee weapon, it's because they're martial artists. All of my Jedi are martial artists because of Defensive Martial Arts.

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I usually carry a knife or vibrodagger of some sort, along with a blaster and a blaster rifle of some sort most of the time.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My Soldier (who survived more than any other character ever), carried the following at most times:

- Stunmaster stun-baton (modified to +2 Stun DC)
    - Twin Thunderer heavy Blaster Pistols (Modified to -1 Multishot, -1 Rapid shot each, with one being modified 1/2 weight to make it a Small weapon and the other modified for 1.5 range increment)
    - One of the heavy blaster pistols (with the 20 Stun DC, modified for +6 Stun DC -- anti-Jedi weapon)
    - Twin OBS slugthrower pistols (to use against a Jedi when vitality is gone -- "Dissipate THIS!")

On occasion, for droid fighting, a homemade ion gun modified for +6 Stun DC vs. droids is also useful.
    Stun and Spore grenades are situational lifesavers.

I've often found that thermal detonators are more trouble than they're worth.

EDIT: Oh yes, nothing says "lub" like a modified ESPO rifle in one hand on autofire and a small off-hand weapon for maximum carnage.

4. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Fire is pretty. So is viscera. Vibro axe and flame projector.

5. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    ...and grenades, and grenades, and grenades, and grenades, and grenades, and grenades, and grenades, and grenades, and grenades, and grenades... and what else? oh yeah, more grenades :p

6. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey what can I say? I like to blow stuff up!!!

Besides, it's YOUR fault for putting me in situations where I HAVE to blow stuff up!!! ;)

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Almost everyone in my group has 2 blasters and a melee weapon.

There are standing house rules: your str die code = how many of ___ items you can carry. 3d+2 str = 3 items. 2d+2 = 2 items. This means a character that can cary 3 items can carry 3 blasters, 3 grenades (or thermal detonators), 3 melee weapons, 3 medbacks, 3 computers, and 3 tool kits without penalty. But if s/he picks up 4 pencils, s/he is encumbered with a 1d penalty to all actions.
    I made this rule to control some of the looting going on after big battle scenes.

Make what use of this you will.

8. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I think that's a little harsh but it might be warranted in certain games. I remember one of the first games we played we tried to run off with 8 suits of stormtrooper armour. In hindsight there's no way we should have been able to do that. I think in total the GM let us carry two suits.

Your way is also a little easier than calculating encumbrance all the time.

9. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Heh, I remember that... that was so much fun; the mental image I had in my head of the bunch of us literally dragging a couple suits of stormie armor along behind us was priceless... :D

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, that was awesome. Didn't we use them as disguises later on? We never did get to sell them, which is what we took them for. [face_laugh]

Anyway, I'm making a new character for if I ever get to be a PC again. He's a human sniper that's a little on the slow side but is a surgeon with the blaster rifle. He'll always have his trusty SoroSuub X-45. :D

11. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah we never got around to selling em, we used em to bluff into that prison, remember?

Back on the topic of weapons, I do like to carry a couple of Thermal Detonators, in case action gets really hectic... :) And I absolutely LOVE the "Happy Surprise" hold out blaster... :D

12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Happy Surprise - great hold-out weapon :D

I made a slicer for one of my online games who had virbo-knucklers for a back-up. He never got around to using them, but I always wanted to try em out in combat. He's the one who used the flechette launcher (the SUPER shotgun).

13. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Almost no one ever has more than 1 thermal detonator at a time in my games.
    I like the fact that the blast radius is further than a human can throw one.

:D

Yes, my system is a little harsh, but it's quick and easy, the way I like my RPGs. I'm using the WEG d6 system, so that's how we work.

14. Marlin-Lazon

Marlin-Lazon Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    Hmmm. I guess I have three tales to tell on this one.

For my own part, I, Marlin Lazon carry a heavy blaster pistol and no less than six seperate lightsabers! (Five of which I built myself, by the way). I usually fight with two weapons, generally my blaster and one of my lightsabers. I block the incoming fire whilst dealing out quite a bit of my own. If I'm really feeilng ambitious, I use Kinetic Combat with the Split Force technique to animate up to all six of my lightsabers and create a zone of death and destruction around me. I've even been known to use my own blaster if I can't deflect a shot at a particular target I just want gone. I once shot my blaster forward, bounced the beam off my teal-colored Greatsaber and blasted battle droid that was trying to get a jump on me from behind! Now, I tell you...never try to sneak up on a Jedi with a blaster in hand and six lightsabers spinning in the air!

Now..Gauth Dauk, my wanna-be (and Soon-to-be) Sith Warrior uses a pair of vibro-blades as his answer to the double-bladed lightsaber. He built a locking assembly on the handles that turns the two into a great double-ended vibro weapon! Considering he IS a Zabrak, he looks just like a yound Darth Maul (Before the face pint, neh?) Currently, he's working on a double-blsded lightsaber. He's taken a pair of blades I gave him, and tac-welded the handles together! It looks nearly as silly as he does: one of the blades is green, the other blue! I've told him he needs to tattoo his face in the appropriate Darth Maul mottling...blue where Maul had black...green where Maul was red. That should look appropiate. On the other hand, one of the other players (I shall not name names, Mike...) thinks our resident Sith should have a pink-bladed Greatsaber and dress up in a pink bunny suit. With a drum.

Moving right along, Thomas Del Mar, our resident Soldier/Jedo Weaponmster carries a vastly bigger gun. With his strength, he's been known to wield his white-bladed Greatsaber one handed! But mostly, he prefers his Heav Repeating Blaster. Now, normally this requires a tripod to use effectively, although in his case, the DM rules he could get away with a bipod. But when he uses his Enhance Ability on his strength, he goes from Strength 20 to Strength 23 or more--more than the 22 the DM ruled he needed to wield that monster without aid. Then he goes and does the Rambo-III thing with his umpteen-plus multifire bonuses and extra attacks wastes just about everything. He's the only character I've ever seen kill a dozen combat 'droids without using a Thermal Detonator!

Then, there's my Jawa techie who gave an R4 unit a vocabulator, an intelligence upgrade, a 3PO hand on a quick-release mechanism, and a holdout blaster to fill it with! Did I mention it was a chrome-plated mastercraft blaster no less?

Marlin Lazon,
    Jedi Guardian, Jedi Ace, Jedi Artisan, (soon to be) Jedi Mater

15. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Anyone other than me have WOTC's Equipment guide

16. Sev-07

Sev-07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    My Soilder, who has survied a LOOOONG time (although not near as long as DP's soilder)
    died the other day but here is what he carried....

A Mastercraft +2 Merr-sonn underslung rotary carbine with a boyonette attached (Think of Halo 2's brute shot)

2 Heavy blasters as close quarters weapons

wrist mounted rockets,grapple cord, wrist mounted flame thrower, vibro knucklers, jet pack, and blaster cannons mounted on his shoulders when in ready for combat mode.(thanks to the av-1c combat armor)

He didn't have martial arts, but he didn't need it :cool:

essentially he was a copy of boba fett, but i didn't mean it to end up that way, i just love having alot of weapons.

My friends argue im more like durge....NO!:_|

Look at other thread "memorable moments" if yer interested in how he died. name is Violtra the soilder....*sniff*

17. jedihunter373

jedihunter373 Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    i just got the guide. i am starting my rpg tomorrrow and the weapons i chose were the SoroSuub X-45 sniper rifle and the Ryyk blade, i like that one.

18. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    What did you think about the "happy surprise" holdout pistol i think its awesome (add in a forearm weapon spring and you got one heck of a "happy surprise"!)[face_laugh]

19. Darth_Aster

Darth_Aster Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2005
    My character has a prototype vibroblade and an arkanian heavy pistol, and finally to top it off it has a neural disruptor to parlyze enemies with confusion.

[face_skull] Darth_Aster[face_skull]

20. DarthJahil

DarthJahil Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    An old Bounty Hunter of mine use to carry a light repeating blaster rifle, ion pistol, vibrodagger, 6 thermal detonator, 5 kg of detonite, an explosive charge, and the timer. He would take on 3 or 4 Jedi at a time and win. He died when he was trying to escape Coruscant military and miscalculated a jump and ended up in the middle of the sun.

21. Dark_Informant

Dark_Informant Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2005
    I have a soldier who's your basic commando during the Episode IV, V, and VI eras. He's the head of a rogue mercenary group and usually goes into an assignment with a lot of ordanance. His standard load out is this.
    - Master Craft (Range and Critical) Blaster Carbine (forget it's name but it's Boba Fett's kind) scope attachment and laser fittings with a grenade launcher attachment fitted with smoke and stun grenades.
    - Master Craft Heavy Blaster Pistol (Range, Crit)
    - vibro-knucklers for close-quarters
    - 4 thermal detonaters
    -2 EMP grenades
    -2 flashbangs
    - Modified Scout Armor with built in infrared, electro-bonocs, and a comlink

In a combat situation, I usually fire my smoke grenade and then turn on infrared targeting in my helmet. This makes it so I can see the enemy and they can't see me. Vibro-knucklers are handy for close combat because you don't need to drop them. EMP?s are VERY handy againts droids and enemies in heavily powered armor. They add new meaning to ?Who turned off the lights?? Stun grenades and flash bangs are useful for hostage extraction or if civilians are nearby. Plus, it's a lot easier to get through a blast door if you stun the guy with security clearance and then "persuade" him to open the door.

By the way, anyone out there need a commando type character for an online game???

22. Reinn

May 19, 2005
    My latest character (based off my dark side character from KoToR 2) carries a longsword and nothing else. For some reason, it totally fits in with the character and makes her totally unique. She's not even that good with it with only a +2 attack bonus that I'm not going to raise with Weapon Finesse because I'm waiting to become a (dark) Jedi and receive a lightsabre and I've already wasted one feat on the longsword weapon proficiency. Of course, since this is the Rebellion era, cortosis weave is so rare and costs so much that it's cheaper to just buy a half-dozen lightsabres.

23. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    A lightsaber exactly like the one Qui-Gon Jinn used is the only weapon I use.

By the way, we play Star Wars RPG D6 rules created by West End Games.

24. Reinn

May 19, 2005
    Why exactly like Qui-Gon's? Is there some specific reason that Qui-Gon's design was replicated when no other sabre in Star Wars has been exactly like any other? Even the two most similar sabres, Anakin's and Dark Vader's, look similar only with a cursory glance.

On the topic, my old character's sabre had a beveled edge and a hook at the top that allowed him to draw and attack upwards in one motion. Think Vader's except silver.

25. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I love the Character Qui-Gon Jinn and the simplicity of his saber design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.