main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your collection.....opened or sealed?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by ClassicIron, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClassicIron

ClassicIron Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Since i began collecting back in 2001 i have been opening all of my figures and displaying them on my bookcases that i have set up for my Star Wars collectibles. Which i planned to do. Since i now have about 320-360 figures that span POTF2 - EP3 i am now beginning back with POTF2 Red and Green carded lines and am re-collecting them and keeping them sealed in their packages, which i also planned to do. How does everyone else collect, sealed or open?

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I have a combo of both. Although, the more times I move, the more items come out of their boxes/packages for easier shipping/less boxes.

Generally, I'm a deboxer unless it's a really rare figure. I always figure that toys should be free, not left imprisoned in their plastic chambers :p

3. Darth_Santos

Darth_Santos Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2004
    I leave all of mine in the box except the Unleashed.

4. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I open all of mine, but buy doubles of some to keep closed.

The only ones I haven't opened are Lava Vader and Target Exclusive Clone.

~Vassago

5. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    I open all of my figures. I don't have the storage space to keep them boxed. Plus, stuff like the Unleashed figures just look better out of the box. (Although with the new packaging, I was seriously tempted to leave them in there, or buy two -- one to open and one to keep sealed.)

6. ClassicIron

May 31, 2005
    Yeah your right, figures were meant to be free, though now that im re-collecting everything i love having them both in the package and displayed out of the package as well.

7. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    this question pops up a lot, and you'll find that the decision is different for everyone. i have many figures on the cards just because i like to display them that way. but i also open a lot of them. i've been opening all my ROTS figures. so for me it just depends on the individual item.

8. Darth-Blix

Darth-Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I usually keep them sealed in their packages because I feel that they are better kept in their packages.
    Like I have many inmature friends who always like to screw around with my toys and stuff and I find that all my old starwars action figures that were broken by most of my friends (By accident) were out of the package.
    My friends have an understanding with me if I keep them in their packages they won't screw around with them and brake them (by accident)
    which is good.

9. ClassicIron

May 31, 2005
    Some figures simply look cooler in the packaging, some look better on display. I recenlty sent in a $500 order for POTF2 and EP1 figures in the packaging that i already have on display, so that way i have them both sealed and open. I can't wait to get them. I also bought 2 new 5 shelf bookcases to go along with my other 2 5 shelf bookcase and my 2, 3 shelf bookcases. I have alot of stuff. I may post some pictures of it once i get my carded figs and shelves set up!

10. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Well, one's a find, two's a pair, three's a collection, right? So I started my collection at the end of '83. Of course back then I called them toys ;) And I opened them all. My latest acquisitions, like CW action figures, Unleashed figs etc. are still packaged, but not for long. Man, those figures are packed in such big cards... The vintage ones are somewhat controlable unopened, but the new stuff takes up too much space.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Quite a few carded, mostly due to lack of space. Normally if I want to keep a basic figure carded I will buy an extra to open. I opened the Kotobukiya and Unleashed figs though. (Although I did buy an extra Boba to keep carded, and I have two original Slave Leia Unleashed that I got in a sale and have kept carded).

12. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Slave Leia's...... alway two there are.... I have one, but she's definitely coming out of her box! Such a fine piece of art should not be kept contained!

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Normally I wouldn't have bought them but Entertainer had them on their website for UK 5.00 each. Too good to pass up!

14. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Whoa.... I bought mine from Brianstoys. I'll never shop there again. Had to pay extra customs or whatever when the package arrived [face_plain]! So eventually I paid $30 or so for her.

15. Keyser_So_So

Keyser_So_So Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    Well, I was about 9 when Star Wars Episode I came out, so I collected the figures then- but of course, being a child, took them out of the packets (why else would I buy them?).

Now, with Revenge of the Sith, I mastered how to open the packets without messing them up on the 3rd one I got.
    Unfortuneatly this means that Obi Wan and Mace Windu are a bit torn along the top of the dome of the plastic, but the rest are all perfectly opened- they look like new, unopened figures on display!

I think they look nice in their packaging, and also the ROTS figures are nigh on impossible to stand up independantly, so the packaging is a helpful and attractive way to have them standing.

16. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I've opened my whole collection with the exception of my VotC Boba Fett. :D

17. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Yeah, a lot of the new figures (especially the Saga ones) have real trouble standing up. So, without stands, I can see why one'd like to keep them sealed. The vintage ones could stand on practically any surface, except water ;). Ah, but I digress... and I'm getting old!

18. ClassicIron

May 31, 2005
    Hmmmm Ive had no trouble standing any figure at all with exeption for the Super Battle Droids.

19. cooltazz

cooltazz Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    i have a nice collection of star wars both open and seald.
    i still have all my star wars stuff from my child hood.
    i have tons of figues.
    and ships.
    1x-wing fighter
    tie figther
    death star
    at-at
    the falcon
    slave 1
    plus i have all what they call cinma sceens.
    i have the 3 ghosts
    yoda obi wan. arkin,
    and i have some sceens from the bar
    from the moive new hope

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    As a youngster I opened everything so I could make my own SW stories and battles.
    Years ago most of what I owned was stolen out of a storage area.
    For years afterwards I would by an item every so often and go ahead and open it.
    Over the past few months I have aquired many items and I have kept most of it packaged, and prbably will continue that trend from now on.

21. goincommando

goincommando Jedi Master star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I for one don't get the appeal of keeping figures in the box. I don't buy toys for profit, I buy them to unleash (excuse the pun) my inner child, not try to make an extra buck.

I was really into the Hasbro AOTC figures when it came out and I displayed all the figures against the other characters they fought in the movies and the like, now with ROTs I've limited myself to Unleashed figures and the electronic lightsabers, all of with are either on a shelf or television.

22. evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    The majority of the collection of toys(spiderman, movie maniacs, Spawn, X-men/Marvel Legends, LOTR, Reservior Dogs, etc) are unopened but I have alot of stuff opended like Jaws boat scene(complete with Quinn in jaws mouth :grin:) pretty much all my movie maniacs cause they are awesome and a few other movie related toys. Bob and Doug Mckenzie had to come out of the packaging for awhile(take off you hoser!) I also took out all the my spawn interconnects series(cause I had to build the awesome mech!) My star wars figs though have not been opened except for a few unleashed ones and I bought 2 of each of them. Some figs certainly look better out of the package especially the Unleashed ones.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Mostly sealed, except for the vintage stuff.

24. anakinvader101

anakinvader101 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    mostly sealed but if i have 2 i open 1

25. Bruno_Fett

Bruno_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    EVERYTHING OPENED, from george sacul and the toyfair vader to rippin' the baggie on the blue snaggletooth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.