main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your collection.....opened or sealed?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by ClassicIron, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinvader101

anakinvader101 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    I say if you got money get 2 and open 1 and if you dont you wait for the money and then you buy another 1 to open.
    I recently just started collecting at the start of the whole ROTS she bang and only my extra 41 CT is open

2. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Yeah, I like the troopers more too. I'm planning on getting all of 'em. I have a steady income and I got my balance sheet worked out pretty good so I'll be able to buy two of each. So maybe I'll do just that.

As for the vintage collection, I'm really busy completing that. And I'm only looking for loose figures.

3. ClassicIron

ClassicIron Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Well once again all my stuff POTF2-Ep3 i have is opened and displayed (About 360 figs) but as i mentioned i put in a huge $350 order for POTF2 and Phantom menace stuff to keep carded and in mint condition. I got those and i placed another $300 order for OTC carded stuff to keep sealed. I put together 3 new bookcases which i have room for, but i dont know what im gonna do once those are full, im running out of room!

4. LordPimpin

LordPimpin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Wow, great topic! All of my stuff so far is still in it's package and it will remain that way. Heck, for me, the package is half of the fun! I got into collecting about a month ago and all I have so far is a ton of POTF2 stuff I ordered from an online store and I love the packaging! On the back of most of them they have cool bio's, pictures of other figures in the line and some even have like a foil hologram looking sticker on the front, very cool.

I don't think i'll ever open my stuff, but I have seen pictures online of collections opened and they look cool on bookcases. But i'm all about how they look in the cards.

Lord Pimpin

5. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I am thinking of doing a replica of the stand that is used on the ep3 checklist poster for my ep3 figures so then I will open them

6. mterracciano

mterracciano Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    All my original ones from the '70s and '80s are sitting on my bookshelf in order of the movies. I have about 75 of the old ones (missing a few figs from JEDI and a lot of the last 17.)

I had a huge POTF2 collection that I sold right after Episode I came out because the value went down so much. I'm kicking myself for that now. I sold like 100 carded figures for $400.

I have 1-44 for ROTS plus a lot of the rarer figures (Holo Yoda, Lava Vader, Target Clonetrooper, etc.) stil in their boxes.

But I bought doubles and triples of many figures just to open. I have a nice little Clone army going (6,33,34,38,41). Plus I opened my Vader on the operating table. That's one bad ass figure, let me tell you folks.

7. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    I collected as a kid...all the vintage stuff...all opened and broken now. But the ROTS hype got me into collecting the new figures. All opened, every single one of them. The Holo TRU Yoda..opened, Red & Blue Guards...opened. All sneak preview...yep you guesed it..OPENED!
    I collect for myself and the joy of snatching a hard to find figure off the peg...not to screw someone on Ebay!

8. Maximus_Draco

Maximus_Draco Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    It realy depends on the figure. All of my older POTF figures are opened, but that's just because I used to play with them. My Shadows of the Empire set is mostly sealed. I have a few ROTS figs that aren't opened, but all my troopers are. They guard my PS2.:)

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    A bit of both,the ROTS figures are all in their cards except for Yoda and a Palpy

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Depends on the item. Regular figures tend to stay in their packaging, unless I have duplicates. Other items, such as the gumball machine or Clone Wars maquette are opened, because the packaging isn't as nice as the item itself, and the boxes don't have any tape or anything to keep them from being opened.

11. Darth_13

Darth_13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    From when the POTF2 line was released til about last year I had opened all my figures. Some saga and OTC figures I have kept carded and all my ROTS collection is carded. I'm currently going back and getting carded versions of all the figures I have loose, because I love them carded and loose. I have a dream of someday having all the 3 and 3/4 line both boxed and loose, all the sw lego's boxed and loose and all the unleashed, action fleet and 12" line boxed and loose. All of which to be displayed in glass cabinets once i get my own place. That's my ambition, to have two of all figs. One carded, one loose. I can dream....but someday I hope to make this a reality. :D

12. Young_Punk

Young_Punk Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    Open.

I play with them

13. Gohanssj

Gohanssj Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2005
    I plan on getting the entire set of Star Wars Trilogy Basic Figures and the Star Wars Trilogy Deluxe Figures.

I know that once I get them I wont open them, cause they look cool in the box for me, I will display them on my wall in the boxes, they just look really good with the backround, plus I plan on getting real life sized Yoda cut out to place in the centre of them that will make them look even better.

Also I plan on getting the Japanese Star Wars Kotobukiya Statues and keep them in the box, they are really expensive and rare, I just hope I can land the job I may be going to, if I do then I could get all the sets in a month :D

Things that I do open are things like lightsabers, mini busts ect, cause they look better out of the package, figures look good in the packaging I think, especially if you want to display them.

14. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I usually keep most everything sealed. If I want to open something, I will buy two. I never intend to sell any of my SW stuff, but on occassion I have when I was broke (for kid's birthdays and christmas etc) and I was glad during those times to have kept the items in the box, on the card, etc.

15. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    To be honest I have got a couple of kotobukyia figures and my opinion is they look better open and put together but then it is up to you gohanssj reason why I say that is the boxes are quite big and also when you look through the window you can just see the parts of the figure what I am saying is they fall under the "look to good to be sealed" category like the unleashed line.

16. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I have a combo of opened and unopened toys. Some to play with when I was younger, some I bought again hopping one day they would be collectors items. So I have best of both worlds right now.

17. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    So far the focus's been mainly on (action)figures. What about other items in your collection? Some people collect model kits, but keep them sealed in the box. I'm a hands on type of guy, so I always open the box and assemble the model.

The Kotobukiya models are nicely packaged and look good on display as well. But to me the figure really stands out, out of the box.

Actually, for me it's all about the "feel" of an item. I always have to fiddle with an action figure, a model kit, a statue. You know, hold it in your hands, turning it around to look at it from every possible angle.

18. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Well...most are open. I have a couple I never took out of the box. What I don't display gets put back in the box so I can pack it away easier.

19. mtmc60

mtmc60 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    I have all my figures still in the package but have been debating on opening them. I have just added a room on to my house to serve as a gameroom, so I will have a great place to display them. I think a shelf of all my figures would look better opened. I don't plan on selling them so why not? My daughter would love to play with them.

20. LordPimpin

LordPimpin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    That would be a good idea, a game room! I have a room that could serve as a game room, it's totally empty, i was going to use it as an extra bedroom, but i may display my figures in there and put a pool table and a big screen with some video games in there. I wouldn't let your daughter play with your SW figs, keep em' in good condition! I don't even plan on selling my collection either, but i keep everything sealed, because i like how they look inside the package.

Lord Pimpin

21. Darth_Phineas

Darth_Phineas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004
    Yes, I get two. One to display and one stays sealed, gets boxed up, and goes into closet storage (when the box if full). I don't do that with the toy plastic lightsabers, but I've been doing that so far with with MR Force FX sabers.

This hobby got expensive quickly. Haha! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.