main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your dream opening to Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JabbatheHumanBeing, Jan 25, 2016.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Since Episode VIII news is sparse, and filming hasn't begun yet, I thought it would be fun for us to detail our "dream openings" for the next installment (post-crawl). Let this be a creative thread free of judgments about what Rian has to work with, but sensitive to the plot threads that have already been woven. With that, here's my dream opening. It actually builds from a small snippet of something I imagined while half asleep. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The crawl recedes, and we see a star field. The camera pans down onto...a large asteroid.

We hear the static of a radio signal. The signal goes quiet, and a very small, subtly sinister ship emerges from what looks to be a makeshift hideout in the large asteroid. The ship flies toward a nearby planet, which has an urban blight on it visible from space. The ship begins a landing cycle. We see the interior of the cockpit, but from behind the pilot, and he's just a dark silhouette.

The ship lands in a very dingy part of a bustling, but seemingly poor, city. It's Crime City from the concept art for TFA. A mysterious figure - likely a bounty hunter - exits from the ship, and we see him in profile. Someone else emerges from the shadows, and quickly covers up the ship with some sort of tarp. The camera pulls in on the bounty hunter, and we see that it's Benicio Del Toro.

Del Toro walks off towards the city center, and through the bustling crowd of a busy marketplace, or a wild festival. Something akin to Bond walking through Mexico City at the start of Spectre, but with lots and lots of aliens. He quietly weaves and bobs through the eclectic crowd. It's a riot of color and noise.

Finally, he comes to a small plaza, and at the end of the plaza, on a platform, there's a great, fat Hutt, performing a bread and circus routine. He's a gangster providing food and goods to people in a time of crisis. A cynical Robin Hood. The so-called "virtuous" mafioso. A translator shouts: "The First Order cares not for the good people of Gongol-Din, and so, the great and generous Hakata the Hutt brings you aid in this time of need." Hakata the Hutt's minions start tossing items into a swarming crowd. We see this from the bounty hunter's perspective. As the minions then fan out into the crowd, the bounty hunter makes his move. He weaves through the crowd along the edges of the plaza, quietly, until he finds himself behind Hakata the Hutt. He points and fires some sort of silent dart into his neck. The Hutt imperceptibly slumps, and Del Toro walks away from the plaza, slowly but deliberately.

Del Toro speaks into a small device: Target 137 terminated. Got anything else for me? A sinister voice replies: "Good. And yes. The planet Ahch-to, in the Outer Rim. Target: Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. And his daughter.

2. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I think it would be really cool and informative stroywise to have a retrospective scene similar to how Peter Jackson opened up with LOTR and Hobbit.

RJ could open with:

• a scene showing Luke and his academy students
    • showing how the attack unfolded on the academy
    • how Han lost the MF
    • How Maz came to be in possession of the Bespin saber.
    • What connection Lor San Tekka has with Ben Solo's family he spoke of and presumably personally knows.
    It would give back story to educate the audience and get them caught up on facts.

3. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Opening crawl:

Luke is dead!​
    Our heroine Rey is so popular and we disrespect​
    Luke's legacy so much that you will never see him again.​
    Prepare for another two years of anguish and gnashing​
    of teeth on the Jedi Forums as Lukers​
    burn this place to the ground and argue​
    about why she speaks droid too easily! ​
    It is a dark time for our heroes as we learn that​
    Leia is Plagueis is Snoke is Ezra​
    and that Porkins is truely dead!​

Mana, X-File, dolphin and 6 others like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I had this idea that it starts with a space battle where the First Order attacks a Resistance fleet. Aboard the Resistance battleship is Poe and Finn who ready a new type of fighter that's a two seater. Poe pilots while Finn serves as his gunner. The battle isn't going so well until the Millennium Falcon comes out of hyperspace with Chewie piloting. And he's not alone as he brings with him a Republic fleet!

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I would alter my dream opening by making Del Toro a Knight of Ren (see changes above). Following this, Luke and Rey would essentially be "hunted" for part of the narrative. The turning point would be when they both figure out how to turn the tables, and become the hunters themselves.

In this context, the Knights of Ren would essentially be the dark side equivalents of the PT Jedi (only fewer of them). Once they gained control of most of the Republic worlds, the First Order would try to consolidate their power by sending the Knights on assassination and police missions to rid the galaxy of problematic types that challenge their authority.

DavidSword79 and Blazer-Smith like this.
  6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    No thanks.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Starts off with a large scale First Order Attack & then we move on to Rey & Luke who heed the call to help.......

8. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Star Wars Episode 8

LUKE SKYWALKER has been found. The Resistance waits for news of his return whilst General LEIA ORGANA comes to terms with the death of her husband, Han Solo.

THE NEW REPUBLIC has been shattered by the destruction of its capital on the HOSNIAN SYSTEM. With no leadership and most of the fleet destroyed, The New Republic braces itself for the next move of the fearsome FIRST ORDER. They will not wait long. Grand Admiral Dol Torra has amassed a huge fleet of STAR DESTROYERS and is ready to slice through what remains of the New Republic's defences.

Meanwhile, General Hux returns to SUPREME LEADER SNOKE. Young protege Kylo Ren, badly injured during his duel with REY, accompanies Hux to complete his training under the evil leader...

A star field. Camera pans down to reveal a dark planet surrounded by a fleet of Star Destroyers. A small shuttle leaves the landing bay of the ship in the foreground, The Finalizer, and descends towards the planet.

9. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I would like the crawl to end the "mystery" of Reys parents... not saying I would like the answer, just want to move on

Conkhead_12 and Dameron like this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Understood. I think it'll be more fun to imagine opening scenes, however, rather than crawls (there's a lot of that out there), as mentioned in the OP. It's more interesting, too, because in many ways, your opening scene can imply things that may need to be in the crawl, without spelling them out. Just a different kind of creative exercise.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The crawl, then we turn in the stars to see the Millennium Falcon zoom by.
    We go into the cockpit with a digitally younger Han at the controls, Leia nearby holding her baby.
    Smiles. The bub looks angelic. It's a beautiful scene of a new family together.

The scene fades. And we are closeup with Leia in the command center. She looks so old and tired. Perhaps a tear. Perhaps.

3PO waddles up, "General they need you".
    Ackbar, "A First Order Fleet has come out of Hyperspace..." and off we go.

12. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Opening would have Luke and Rey discussing what the Jedi mean -- the lineage angle being resolved in the crawl. He returns with them and have a nice reunion with his sister. Luke then is distracted as he senses Finn -- the Force has awaken in him as well... Thats all I can come up with for the start...

Part of me does not want to go too far as I know I will set my self up for failure with expectations that will not be met -- happened with the PT for me

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Brilliant! I will almost be disappointed if this doesn't happen haha

Speaking of which... The First Order would already have a massive bounty on Luke - wouldn't they??

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  14. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    Ignoring my post on Leia's speech I have one other idea.

The screen pans down to a resistance fleet entering a brown mountainous planet. Poe leads the first wave of fighters attacking a giant metal fort built onto a mountain, complete vertical line from top to bottom with a rocky plain before it. Taking out the heavy guns and cannons etc. We see the landing party arrive in some kind of new transport with Finn leading the charge. Men run into position getting blasted. From out of the dust emerges Kylo Ren, blade in hand slaughtering the resistance fighters. Finn orders his men not to be distracted by one man and to focus on the heavy weapons and First Order soliders. Eventually the dust settles and we see Kylo Ren surrounded by resistance fighters. Finn tells him to drop it, that he has no chance. Then from the entrance of the fort a figure emerges and a loud commanding shout says "lower your weapons." The resistance fighters lower their guns and ships drop out of the sky. Finn barely able to resist looks around in shock. Fortunately one ship is still being piloted by Leia who is still in complete control of herself and she drops down to let Finn onto the ship while firing at Kylo who deflected the ships blasts with his hand. We get a close up of Snoke smirking as he says "yes run young princess, lead me to your wretched brother."

15. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh, come now, that's ridiculous. It's spelled "truly".

I definitely want it to open with some action sequence in which the audience doesn't quite know what's going on until the end of the sequence when it becomes plainly connected to the story so far.

16. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    JabbatheHumanBeing

I told you in another thread that I was having trouble coming up with an opening for my fanfic/current head canon version of VIII. I like what you came up with a lot. though I'd change one thing. instead of luke skywalker, it's kylo ren. snoke is a master manipulator. kylo's supposed to kill luke, del Toro is supposed to kill kylo. and they ate 'friends' via both being knights of ren. imagine the bewildered look on del toro's when he hears about who his next target is. I would maybe leave this ambiguous and have the reveal later though.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I suppose that could work, though I don't see it flowing well from TFA. It would seem odd for Snoke to build up Kylo Ren, and then just off him (especially since Kylo seems to have "passed Snoke's test" in TFA). Unless Snoke was successful in converting Rey, or bringing on another, stronger apprentice (such as Del Toro's character), it wouldn't quite work, IMO.

I do like the idea of the target being left ambiguous. If the target were Luke and Rey, you could do the same thing. Del Toro's character responds with surprise to a holo communication (though the audience can't see it), and then we cut to Luke and Rey on Skellig. So we can infer that they are the likely target, without knowing for sure.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Thanks. And yeah, I suppose they would. But I thought this could indicate that the First Order/ Kylo Ren learns his location, and then sends someone discreet that Luke won't be able to detect. Would also show a cowardly side to Kylo, in that he won't confront Luke himself.

I feel I've made a mistake, though. This opening has become something that I really want to see on film, and I fear I will also be disappointed if it doesn't happen!

It also makes me realize how much I want to see some bounty hunter/ underworld action. Maz's and Niima Outpost were great, but I need more! Oh, and Hutts. More Hutts.

Avnar likes this.
  19. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    First of all, I'd like the crawl to state that the new Republic capital has moved to Coruscant.

Then I'd like to see the camera pan upwards to a red-glowing, sinister-looking planet with a few chunks of asteroids around it. And then we see Kylo Rens shuttle fly across them, into the planet's atmosphere. The planet should be Moraband.

No offense, but it sounds more like the opening for a fan film (or spin-off).

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  20. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    EXT-SPACE

A blue-and-white planet, a few space stations and small craft visible in orbit. A Star Destroyer glides across it, slowly, but our attention is drawn to a small shuttle exiting hyperspace, then crossing the vast flank of the capital ship and heading toward a hangar. It's an exotic, unfamiliar design. Two TIE fighters swerve toward the new shuttle at first, but let it pass.

INT-HANGAR

Stormtroopers are ranked at attention in a sterile metal hangar, one side open to space. The small shuttle lands gracefully next to rows of dropships, some noticeably battle-scarred. The chin ramp lowers, and down through the swirling steam stride Luke and Rey, lightsabers at their belts. The officer in charge, standing alone before his men, looks worried at their arrival.

OFFICER: Headquarters has informed us of your new... status, sir. I hope that, uh....

LUKE (smiling): We're all on the same side here.

OFFICER (relieved): Indeed.

REY: And tell your men not to salute us. We did not come to —

Distant thumps shake the room, gently. A few warning lights flicker on. The officer's head snaps to look at one of his assistants.

AIDE: Ground fire, sir!

CAPTAIN (shouting, confidence restored): Load up! Load up! Load up!

The stormtroopers break ranks and bolt for their dropships, Luke and Rey mixed in among them. Sirens are sounding; flashes of blaster fire are appearing outside in space. Rey is very briefly seen stretching out her arm, motioning to be given something; someone offscreen throws her a standard-issue First Order blaster rifle, which she slings across her back.

EXT-SPACE

The dropships spiral down toward the planet's surface. Their Star Destroyer is exchanging heavy fire with enemy guns on the surface, the superheated blaster bolts burning holes in the clouds. The landing party narrowly evades the wreckage of a space platform and some civilian ships destroyed in the crossfire. Above, TIE squadrons are launching and immediately coming under fire themselves.

INT-DROPSHIP

Stormtroopers are lined up as in TFA, but this time seen from the back of the claustrophobic craft. Sounds of the space battle outside are coming in through the hull. Luke, Rey, and a stormtrooper with a rank indicator are first in line.

REY: How long until we touch down?

SQUAD LEADER: We're not touching down. Watch my count.

He's already making "3, 2, 1" hand motions to his guys. At "1," the ramp opens.

EXT-CITY

The dropship is hovering about two feet off the ground over a city street. Everyone exits at top speed; the dropship pilot is so eager to get out of there, the last guys are jumping from the ramp as it's closing. At the ship ascends, some small-arms fire begins coming from down the street. Luke ignites his saber just in time to block a bolt, nods to Rey.

REY (motioning toward the source of the fire): Follow me!

And the Jedi and their loyal troopers enter battle together once again, as they did in days of old....

X-File likes this.
  21. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    No offense, but yours sounds more like the opening for a PT fan film.

Though I admit that the dialogue, at that point, is tricky to get right, I'm more wedded to the setup involving either a bounty hunter, or a Knight of Ren, taking out a small threat to the First Order via an assassination. It's an organic way of showing, rather than telling, something significant about the new political dynamic in the galaxy (and then moving into the personal conflict by the end).

22. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, you do have a Senator as your avatar. Nothing wrong with the PT (or fan films for that matter, though I don't think the stories from fan films belong to the main saga). Besides you suggest the film to begin with an assassination, which sounds a lot like AOTC. ;)

That being said, I don't think bounty hunters should be central to the main saga - leave that to the spin-off films.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    On my second pass, I did come to prefer the assassin to be a Knight of Ren.

And for the record, I enjoy politics in Star Wars, as long as it is portrayed effectively. Capturing the state of the galaxy through a "hit" by the First Order on a popular leader in a newly-seized world, sounds like a thrilling way to show that off, IMO.

24. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I just hope the planet systems who are part of the New Republic realizes the urgency of the situation, that the First Order is a very real and dangerous threat. That being said, I'd hate to see only X-wings again - bring on other planet's fleets. It would make sense as the Resistance could use some help.

11-4D likes this.
  25. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Let's kick the opening scene off with a shot of the imposing fleet of the First Order... With several Star Destroyers led by the Finalizer, and a bunch of TIE Fighters flying off, presumably to some New Republic targets (reminiscent of the opening scene of "Independence Day").

Scene then cuts to the Resistance, or specifically Rey undergoing training to become a Jedi. And having a tough time doing so but this is interrupted by a distress call being received, alerting to a hostile presence nearby!

And while I won't be surprised to see the X-Wings being a key part of aerial and space battles again, let's hope that the Millennium Falcon also gets more screen time together with the as-yet unknown fleet of the New Republic (or whatever that's left, i.e. those that survived the destruction of Hosnian Prime).

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes and Django Fett like this.